AMD 760 Based Mobo

G

Im looking to build a new system and the hardest thing to decide is which motherboard I want to buy. I want to have DDR so I've decided to go with a board based on the AMD 760 chipset so that I can get max performance. I was all set to buy the Asus A7M266 but then I saw that Giga-Byte made a board (the GA-7DXR) that performed the same but also had the onboard RAID that I was looking for. I was just wondering if anyone has any comments to make on this board (GA-7DXR), as there are not very many reviews of it out there. I have read the few that exist and they are all favorable. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

G

Any motherboard you buy today will be within 5% points of each other at most. Usually a lot less. Right now I am looking at the MSI K7 Master, which has recieved good reviews. For the most part you should just choose a company that you trust and a board that has the features that you will use.

G

Heres a question for you,
If a mobo has a built-in raid controller on it, do you need to use it? I mean, do you need to have raid setup or is it just n option you can use at a later time if you want?

thanks in advance

"He not busy being born is busy dying."
-Dylan

jmycal

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
i might not be sure about this, but i don't think you have to use the raid setup if you don't want to. Now if the ide slots are dedicated solely for raid than maybe? can anyone clarify?

life is what happens while you are making other plans

G

You dont have to use the on board RAID if you dont want to. The boards include the two standard IDE sockets and another two for the RAID Array.