GTX 580

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Gtx
  • Video
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 1, 2011 3:22:15 AM

I made a video of my GTX 580 failing to run star trek armada 2, becuase It was one of the most fun games to play for me anyway. The way it acts seems like it could be fixed in little time at all. I got this card so that things like this would happen less not more. ( There is not one game that my GTX 580 could run that my HD 4870 could not.) Now
I still like the card, but I don't think I will buy a card like this again. The best card I ever got before was the 4870 and it $150 vs $400-500 for a new GTX 580.

I have tryed updating the game and drivers and that did not work. I have tryed reinstalling it 2-3 times and that did not work. I am out of ideas to how to fix this now that I have made the video. I was trying to make some fun of this a bit in the video, but when a GTX 580 can't run a game, but a ATI laptop GPU can with same os win 7 64 bit and 1920x1080P rez that makes you think you are stupid for buying said GTX 580.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWMf2UhPFj8

More about : gtx 580

July 3, 2011 9:22:52 PM

I don't have the patience to sit through 8 minutes of you zooming in and out with a webcam, but your ire towards the GTX 580 is misplaced. Per the game's wikipedia page, here are the system requirements for the game:

Quote:
Minimum: Pentium II or Athlon 300 MHz, 64 MB RAM, Windows 95/98/ME/2000, 4x CD-ROM drive, and 1.4 GB hard-disk space

This is a very old game that is meant to run an old OS and old drivers. It is no fault of Nvidia's that Windows Vista/Win7 can't run it.

I suggest running a virtual machine under Windows 2000 and seeing if you can get it going that way. Or download the XP emulation package and try your luck that way.

Modern GPUs are meant to play modern games. Not a game released 9 years ago coded for a different OS.

Put it another way, this is like buying a SNES cartridge and getting mad that a Playstation 3 won't play the SNES game, and saying that a SNES puts out much better graphics than the PS3, since it plays the game you like.
July 4, 2011 4:10:36 AM

Mozart25 said:
I don't have the patience to sit through 8 minutes of you zooming in and out with a webcam, but your ire towards the GTX 580 is misplaced. Per the game's wikipedia page, here are the system requirements for the game:

Quote:
Minimum: Pentium II or Athlon 300 MHz, 64 MB RAM, Windows 95/98/ME/2000, 4x CD-ROM drive, and 1.4 GB hard-disk space

This is a very old game that is meant to run an old OS and old drivers. It is no fault of Nvidia's that Windows Vista/Win7 can't run it.

I suggest running a virtual machine under Windows 2000 and seeing if you can get it going that way. Or download the XP emulation package and try your luck that way.

Modern GPUs are meant to play modern games. Not a game released 9 years ago coded for a different OS.

Put it another way, this is like buying a SNES cartridge and getting mad that a Playstation 3 won't play the SNES game, and saying that a SNES puts out much better graphics than the PS3, since it plays the game you like.

Windows 7 can run it and it was 8 min long to show it was a GTX 580 and that I was not kiding. I think it is there fault when a 2 year old ATI card (ATI HD4870) ran the game 100% fine with same os CPU and so on. I still like the card alot, but when you fork out that much and it can't run some thing that runs just fine on ATI cards only 2 years old. I could show some more games that don't work all 2000-2006.( Just from the new GPU not os.) Now I would never say that SNES game looks better than a PS3 game and I would not get mad at my PS3 for not playing a SNES game, becuase it's a not a sony made system. I could play games like sim ant and the like on a P4 xp PC and If you look up the numbers then you will see that it was longer than 9 years from sim ant to P4 PC with 1.5gb of ram 320gb HDD and so on. I up graded the GPU before it was on to the I7 and all my old games still worked. I have up graded cpus, ram and GPUs before and they did not brake games.( OS and new builds were the only thing to do that before.)

In the end I will just play it on my laptop that is less than 3 years old and has Win 7 64 bit. A vm will not work do to it not being os tied.

P.S I give the GTX 580 a 8/10 over all and the HD 4870 a 9.5/10 over all for the time. I would have got a ATI card, but 12in is too long for the case I got.
Related resources
July 4, 2011 5:03:40 AM

Does a two year old nVidia card run it? It may just be that the AMD drivers support it and the Nvidia ones do not. I would not count either as a plus or minus for either company as you can't expect them to support every old game ever made.

The 4870 is a great card, don't get me wrong (I owned one too), but saying older tech is better than more powerful modern tech because it can run an ancient game is just... outré.
July 4, 2011 1:02:44 PM

Are you sure you are running the game at your monitors native resolution, as it appeared to me that your resolution settings in game were too low and your bit settings were only 16 instead of 32, this can also cause a gpu error, as i see that the game does load for you, which to me says it is playable on your gtx580.
July 4, 2011 8:04:44 PM

Uther39 said:
Are you sure you are running the game at your monitors native resolution, as it appeared to me that your resolution settings in game were too low and your bit settings were only 16 instead of 32, this can also cause a gpu error, as i see that the game does load for you, which to me says it is playable on your gtx580.

I can't run it at the native resolution, becuase it will only go up to 1600 x 1200. 16 vs 32 did not change anything, but thanks for pointing that out. It does load, but it will not respond to anything I did so it's unplayble. (I can only kill it with ctrl+alt+del to task manger.)

I am not saying that my HD 4870 is better than my GTX 580, but every one said there drivers are better. They made me reinstall the OS and they brake one of the most fun old games I have. ( Win 7 updated with out telling me and then locked up. I had to cut power and reboot and then blues got me to load my back up.)
!