New CPU & A7A slower than a snail!

G

I am now not sure if it is my new components or Winblows, but I upgraded to an Athlon 1.33 and an Asus A7A motherboard with 256Mb DDR ram. After a lot of problems getting other memory chips running I thought my problems would be solved with the new DDR memory. Everything looks fine and it's 100% stable, benchmarking tools such as Sisoft Sandra report it as blowing P4's out of the water. My problem comes down to when I go into 3d. 3dmark 2001 reports my system is slower than a celeron 300 system and I don't tend to get more that 7fps in it's tests. On my old A7V Athlon 750 system Unreal was just that, unreal! as smooth as anything. Now it's unplayable. I reinstalled windows when I did the upgrade as I thought this would cause less problems. I changed from Me to 98se as I had had enough of Me's anoying features. I have a Geforce GTS 2 video card which I have installed the 12.6 reference drivers for but this has made no difference from version 6.5. I upgraded my A7A bios from version 1.003 to 1.004 then to 1.005BETA (German FTP site BTW) which solved some other issues just not this speed one. I have installed every windows patch and upgrade under the sun with no joy. Does anyone out there have any ideas how to get the true speed out of my system?

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The A7A is a Via chipset, correct? If so, go download the Via 4-in-1 Drivers for the chipset. That should solve the problems. If it is 760 chipset, go download AMDs drivers. That should fix the problem.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Noooooo! The A7A is an ALi Magik1 chipset! I'm not sure what would happen if you install the 4 in 1's but I bet it would be very, very bad!!!!!!!

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

alph

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
Really just a guess. I´ve heard that if a PSU isn´t "big" enough (maybe 300w or less) it can´t provide the videocard with enough juice.

What PSU do you have?

Anyway try removing all non-essential units like the soundcard and nic and see if it helps.

<font color=purple> english first language nono</font color=purple>

G

I have a 350w DEC Power Supply and I have tried booting with everything disconnected to test this theory with no joy. You are correct it is and ALi chip set (I wanted stability, but I thought the speed should still not be too bad!!) :eek:)