Xbox crashes.

Last response: in Video Games
August 5, 2004 8:57:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

I find myself having to save often because I never know when my xbox is
going to freeze up! (god bless microsoft!)This only happens with my
morrowind game though. It's as though the processor can't keep up. And now
that my stats are all WAY over max (thanks to the bound weapon cheat) it
seems to lock up even more. Does anyone else have this problem with xbox or
is mine just screwed! If it's just me, is there anyway to service a problem
like this???

Thanks,
Bryan

More about : xbox crashes

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 8:57:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

> I find myself having to save often because I never know when my xbox is
> going to freeze up! (god bless microsoft!)This only happens with my
> morrowind game though. It's as though the processor can't keep up. And now
> that my stats are all WAY over max (thanks to the bound weapon cheat) it
> seems to lock up even more. Does anyone else have this problem with xbox or
> is mine just screwed! If it's just me, is there anyway to service a problem
> like this???
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

I had the same problem just yesterday when I was playing Morrowind on a
new game started earlier this week (still level 2 I think). Every time
I tried to bring on my inventory, I had the dirty disc error, or even
better, Morrowind would just freeze without giving any error message
while walking from place to place. :/

After some time, I realized it was since I added some other mods to my
Morrowind (modded XBox) that these freezes began to occur. I deleted
some minor (read "less wanted") mods and everything went back just
fine.

Perhaps it's not your case, but I tought I'd share it with you all...

Sorry for my (perhaps) poor writing, English' not much used in my
everyday life !

Yanick
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 2:08:14 PM

"Bryan Taylor" <bryan1856@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I find myself having to save often because I never know when my xbox is
> going to freeze up! (god bless microsoft!)This only happens with my
> morrowind game though. It's as though the processor can't keep up. And
now
> that my stats are all WAY over max (thanks to the bound weapon cheat) it
> seems to lock up even more. Does anyone else have this problem with xbox
or
> is mine just screwed! If it's just me, is there anyway to service a
problem
> like this???
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

This is a problem with Morrowind on the Xbox. Microsoft blames Bethesda and
vice versa. I got a list of helpful hints to keep this from happening. It
doesn't eliminate the problem, but it does keep it from happening so often.

Here is the response I got from Bethesda with the hints:

Hello,

Most problems encountered in Morrowind are caused by fragmentation of the
Xbox's finite amount of memory. Morrowind is a huge game and needs as much
of the Xbox's RAM as possible. Certain games may fragment system ram or your
hard disk. Below is the best way to solve the problem in Morrowind:

> - Find a place to rest. If in a town, walk just outside of the town.
> - Rest for three days straight.
> - Once you have rested for three days, make a new saved game. Don't save
over a previous game, make a new saved game.
> - Once the game is saved, immediately load the game that was just saved.
>

> This will help to clean up any items that have been left laying around, as
well as reset any objects that have been moved in the game. The combination
of these two items will help reduce the amount of memory needed to load up
an area, as well as minimize the size of the save game files. This, in
combination with the steps below, will help to prevent most problems from
occurring.

> Try and save on a new save game file every few hours of play. Most people
find that saving their progress to a new saved game once they are done
playing for the day helps to prevent problems from appearing.

> Don't leave corpses laying around. If you kill something, dispose of the
corpse. If the body has items you don't want, put them into a container.
Items left in a container will disappear faster than if they are lying on
the ground.

> Don't move items that don't need to be moved. While it may be a neat trick
to play on an NPC, rearranging their house actually takes up more of the
Xbox's memory and increases the size of the save game file.

> If you notice your inventory becoming rather full, take a moment to go
through it. If there are any items that you find you don't need, either sell
them or put them into a container.

> If you need further assistance, you can also reach us online at
http://support.bethsoft.com or our technical support staff at
(410)-568-3685. Please include all previous replies when/if responding to
this message.

> Best Regards,
> Brian P. at Bethesda Softworks Technical Support
> support@bethsoft.com

I hope this helps you.

Dawn
!