Windows 7 Family Pack Deal Making a Comeback

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
haha thank you TheJerk. Would have been nice for them to have put the price in the story. But I suppose we shouldn't ask for the world. Thats is not a bad deal at all. In fact, it's a very good deal.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Its all about the green! Maby they thought they had such a good product that everyone would purchase it even single licence price (wich frankly were quite true at the time compared to vista and the aging XP (sorry if i forget to "mention" the 5-10ish% so called competition in the pc market).

Likely the sales have slowed down enought to start to make marketing campaigns to try to get people who refuses a single licence price to purchase it! Its better to sell at reduced price than not at all!

Remember - Its all about the green!

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Many families have more than 3 PCs that need upgrading, they should go for a 5X family upgrade pack.

Students at universities: undergraduate to PhD students please check if your institution supports MSDNAA, I got Windows 7 Pro for free along with Microsoft Visual Studio.

haramir

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Well even if your family has 5 computers, a second pack would end up costing you around $300 which is still substantially better than the $600 you would be paying for individual copies. I'm more of an "Ultimate" guy though, I wonder if they have any bundles with that.

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I was actually quite happy to see the end of "Win 7 family". The technical term for this commercial thievery tactic is 'market segmentation'.

Next it'll be "Windows 7 Gamer", "Windows 7 Single Parent", "Win 7 Drug Addict (with a windows logo-encrusted crack-pipe)"...

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
It is nice to see the pricing back. $50 per OS upgrade is not too bad, though for the life of me, I cannot figure out why they ever got rid of it, or why they don't have more pricing/package options like thse.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]puscifer919[/nom]People still pay for Windows?[/citation]
Some trhings are worth paying for.
Something that will get a couple thousand hours use(one comp between 4 people here) for $150? Worth every cent and then some.

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
They had to bring it back eventually. I`m sure since it`s been almost 1 year post-release, the sales are starting to wane some and they need to get people buying. (i guess!)

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
"For that reason, we were left wondering why Microsoft decided to discontinue the Windows 7 Family Pack so soon..."

Your loyalty is appreciated but we need more money. Business is business.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This does represent a good deal in terms of avoided costs if you were going to upgrade/install anyway, but it is still very expensive software.

If MS wanted to move more products, they would lower the cost for all flavors of Win 7. Full blown Ultimate should cost no more than $69.99US, with the prices for "lesser versions" tiered downward from there. The Starter and Home Basic versions should be free.

randomizer

Champion
I get all my Microsoft software for free legally, and will do so for the foreseeable future. Not that I use most of the stuff that is available, but it is a nice feeling knowing that I can get $12,000 worth of Visual Studio for nothing. MSDNAA FTW.

Windows isn't cheap when just looking at the price out of context, but if you compare it to the price of a game and take into account how long you use each, the price of games seems very high. $70 for 5 hours of CoD or $150 for 3 people to get thousands of hours out of Windows? Hmm...

Or $0 for any number of people to use Linux for as long as they want and in any way they see fit (something that neither Windows or most games allow) :)

skibirdOAE

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
Is this deal just for upgrade licenses? I'd like to outfit the family with new builds on the cheap that wouldn't have a previous version of an MS OS.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I was 1 day too late purchasing the family pack to upgrade all 3 of my computers, now I use XP sp3, vista and 7. If they did not discontinue its sale in the first place they would have sold a copy to me. Instead I bought 1 copy at the pre-sale price and I will not be purchasing another.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Since many of the machines I build these days are for family members, I could see picking up one of these. I'm anticipating one or two builds coming up.[/citation]

How exactly does Windows 7 Upgrade make you prove you own a qualifying product at a minimum. To round out the scenario lets say you were starting with an unformatted hard drive.

[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]If MS wanted to move more products, they would lower the cost for all flavors of Win 7. Full blown Ultimate should cost no more than $69.99US, with the prices for "lesser versions" tiered downward from there. The Starter and Home Basic should be free.[/citation]

What level of support would you suggest they're obligated to provide for a free OS?

I find it funny how Gamers and Home power users like talking about how they use Pro/Ultimate (and Enterprise, too). The ONLY feature I see beyond the home version that someone may make regular use of (for a while) is XP mode in Pro. Beyond that are there really that many multi-lingual families with Domain servers in their homes working hi-level jobs where they need to protect their work with bit-locker cuz their employer is so bleeding edge and sprung for Ultimate on day one? I think the probability of that scenario drops sharply if you work outside Redmond, Washington. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with flashing a higher end version for bragging rights. My super got Pro on a student discount and thought he was all cool but didn't know what XP mode was.

I'm not callous to the financial impact of buying an operating system. I do think there should be some sort of "diminished support" license for us who can provide our own tech support that isn't restrictive like OEM. But for those who intend to call about every little thing, better Microsoft than me. Read the disclaimer on an OEM package about how you're supposed to provide phone support at a minimum. We all know what those conversations can be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS