Console vs PC: Resource Utilization

This is something that has made me very curious for a while now. Now a PS3 has something like 7800GTX(6 Year Old). A decent gaming PC is 5770/GTS450 and above which I think is much more powerful than that. Then how do developers use such crappy hardware and produce masterpieces like GT5 and Uncharted. My point is

I know that PC games look better than Consoles BUT considering the difference in hardware, If PS3 can pull off a GT5 and an Uncharted 2, Shouldn't PC games be Photorealistic by now. There should be no need for 'comparison Shots'. PC graphics should be at least 10x better considering the raw processing power. Its not like PC hardware is not pushed, you still need a minimum 150$ GPU to run latest games at high(that too at low res),and for for Ultra and high res you need say GTX560.
Please explain to me how this little piece of hardware

can still produce comparable graphics to those produced by this Monster

I am a noob and this is just a guess - Is it because the middleman called 'Windows' doesn't allow the games to extract every bit of power from the PC hardware? If so, what would happen if you don't have to boot Windows at all. If there is a special OS just for Gaming (it may be a part of Windows that you boot into, a Game Mode, say).It may also help combat Piracy(I think). I have always felt that since every software on the consoles INCLUDING THE OS is optimized for gaming, does it produce these beautiful graphics.

Is there even little sense to what I am saying or is it just outright wrong?
7 answers Last reply
More about console resource utilization
  1. There are a few things to consider when comparing. As that article talks about, there is significant overhead when dealing with PC's. There are tons of different hardware configurations, and the dev's can't develop for each and every combination there are just too many. Drivers and DirectX deal with the differences without the dev's having to, for the most part.

There is also the fact that as we add more and more visual enhancements, each of these new techniques are requiring more and more power for less and less increases in visuals. The easier the enhancement is on power, the sooner it gets implemented into games, and as time goes on, and as PC's have improved, they've improved in areas that are less obvious than the enhancements that came about a few years ago.

Then there is resolution. Consoles cheat in this regard, they use 720p mostly. 720p is a lot smaller than 1080p and require less horsepower. They also do not offer any AA improvements and are generally ran on TV's at a distance, so their imperfections are less noticed than an in your face PC game.
  2. chinuhark said:

Is there even little sense to what I am saying or is it just outright wrong?

As you say yourself, every bit of the PS3 Hardware is gaming specific. A PC is a all purpose machine, that can do a lot more than just gaming.
    The ps3 is now 5-6 years old, that means that programmers have worked on the same hardware for a very long time, and exactly knows how to get the maximum out of it.
    AMD and Nvivia releases new genrations of GPU's every 12-18 months, the same goes for CPU's and a new Windows version gets released every 2-3 years. So the programmers don't get the some continuity of programming for a piece of hardware, and therefore never get comfortable to extract the maximum out of it.

and as "bystander" says, there are two major player and the gpu market, with many versions of gpu's each, witch again makes it difficult to be hardware specific on the PC. If you look at gaming benchmarks for the PC, you will often notice that different games runs better on either Nvidia or AMD GPU's, because developers often develop their games in corporation with either Nvidia or AMD.

Most people don't have a machine with a set of HD 6950's i Crossfire, I personally have a single HD 4850, so in fear of alienating many PC gamers developers sets the standard of the graphics rather low, compared with what is actually possible on a PC.

I don't know how much Windows is a performance killer in terms of games, but a piece of software, running within a piece of software, can't be the best solution, but that again goes back to the argument that consoles are games specific, and PC are all purpose machines, that can handle so many different tasks.
  3. chinuhark said:

I did not understand a lot of that, but was it about that due to directx the PC is a lot harder and limited to program for???
  4. rambostyrer said:
    I did not understand a lot of that, but was it about that due to directx the PC is a lot harder and limited to program for???

In simple words it means that Directx does not allow Programmers full access to the hardware. In consoles they get this and so can produce great games even with such weak hardware. It says that only about 10% of the PC's potential is being utilized in today's games.
  5. chinuhark said:
    In simple words it means that Directx does not allow Programmers full access to the hardware. In consoles they get this and so can produce great games even with such weak hardware. It says that only about 10% of the PC's potential is being utilized in today's games.

That 10% potential being overly pessimistic. They aren't losing that much, even if you use the idea that PC's are 10x more powerful, they do look a lot better than Consoles now, if only 10% of the potential was used, they would look the same.
  6. developers optimize for the user on a console - thus they can choose different ways to get the game to run smoothly on that old hardware. On a Pc, the user does their own optimizing based on what specs they have. a maxed out metro 2033 on pc looks far, far better in comparison to metro on a console. The difference is not only pixel count, but effect driven visuals. tesselation, depth of field, motion blur, AA, vsync, all these things come into play that a PC will utilize that a developer of a console game might leave out to make the game run better- which is most if not all of those options. consoles also run in DX9, which DX11 is out on PC's now which utilizes the tricks and visual effects consoles cant do yet.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Video Games