Tom's Settings for memory timing

G

Hi! I have been experiencing lockups running the 3dMark2001 benchmark and I suspect it may be my mem timing. I have:

MSI K7 Master (6341)
256 MB Micron PC2100 RAM
Athlon 1333
MSI GeForce3

2d is fine, but sometimes under 3D load, it locks the whole machine. I haven't overclocked yet. I ran the utility that shows system settings and saw this:

Processor = 1333mhz
Bus = 133mhz
PCI = 33mhz
AGP = 66.5mhz
Core Voltage = 1.75
Vio = 2.63 (What is vio?)
Memory = 100 mhz

Now, shouldnt the RAM be at 133mhz? The BIOS is set to autodetect memory timing. I saw that in Tom's super-machine he used manual memory settings of 8,8,4,2,2,2,2 but he had a 1.2Athlon and overclocked it. I tried the settings for kicks and got a no-boot so I set them back to auto. Does anyone know what those settings represent and how the combinations affect memory mhz? If I correct the memory timing, it may solve my problems, but otherwise I'll have to return this card, which would stink because I play in a Tribes2 OGL league.

Anyone really savvy with those timers?

Thanks in advance!

{BZ} SIEGE.

P.S. Yes, I've tried Win2k, Win98, DirectX8, 8a, 8.1, Via 4-in-1s, Reg fixes for AMD, Detonator drivers of all flavors. It is either memory or the card at this point.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You r VIO should be 3.3v. Among other things, it is the voltage supplied to your memory. Check your power supply, it is probably not supplying enough 3.3v current. If you replace your power supply, check to see that the new one supplies more current to 3.3v. It is not a "Size" issue, as some "big" power supplies skimp there, you may find one the same size as your with a higher 3.3v rating.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
have some question concerning VIO...is my default jumper setting of 3.45(3.56v according to maunual for the asus a7v133a to high...my 3.56v default can go as high as 3.616v...one community member suggests I set it at 3.3v...I also read that the newer amd processors don't require the higher default settings...is this so...and if I set it at 3.3v can I still overclock the vcore of my duron 800 which has specs of 3.3v and Vcore of 1.6...also how does the VIO relate to the ram, etc.......would greatly appreciate you sharing what you know.........I am fairly new at this...Thanx
frew of stew

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by frewOFstew on 06/09/01 11:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
The problems you are having have been resolved at www.msihardware.com K7-master forum.

K7-Master Ver. 1.1 2 dimm Bios Ver 1.1
T-Bird 1.2 266fsb retail box OC'ed to 1.4
{cpu host/pci clock: 140/35}
{cpu Vcore select: Default}
{cpu ratio: x10}
Tai-Sol CGK760092 H/S
Crucial 512mb PC2100 CL=2.5
Unbuffered non-parity 8-8-8-3-7-2-3
Asus V7700 32 DDR Geforce 2
{Memory Clock 400}
{Core Clock 210}
{8500 3D Mark 2000}
IBM 30GB 75GPX ATA/100 HD
SB Ensoniq in slot 3
56k Modem in slot 4
50x cd-rom
Enlight 7237 Mid Tower 350 PS w/ extra fan
Win 98se
Drivers Installed using newest downloads
{VIA Atapi}
{IRQ routing}
{VIA INF}
{AMD AGP mini port}
Drivers off the CD
{MSI nVidia Drivers}
{DirectX 8}

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Finally!!!!!!! Someone who's thinking what I'm thinking...I might have a bad power supply...giving too much voltage....my next question ....Can I just go in jumper mode and change just the VIO jumper and then go back into jumper free bios mode, for my clocking...I know that it should clock the cpu at it's default...but I might want to clock it up a little later using, possibly the bios vcore and fsb settings...is this possible?...and will turning the VIO voltage down restrict me (trying to ask if vcore voltage will be enough to try some minor overclocking with the duron 800mhz...for learning purposes, later). Also, my manual doesn't have the jumper settings to clock the duron 800mhz and neither does the asus site. Thanx, some others have tried to tell me about the power...but the information has been a bit vague.
frew of stew

"I don't want to just learn how to wash the floor...I want to know why I'm doing it"....(computer building novice).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would try to keep your VIO between 3.3v and 3.5v. Having it higher than 3.3v allows certain parts of the system to remain stable when you overclock-not the processor, but the memory and maybe some of your cards. As long as it stays above 3.3v, it sounds like you have a good plan.

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
I just posted with another member who states that they are also getting a steady voltage of 3.6 (higher than my steady of 3.584) at the default setting 3.56, it's somewhat reassuring...is it normal to have your voltage go up and down a bit? (I do go down now to 3.52 at times, as well as up to)... I also have a vcore reading of 1.696 at bios default, (for the 800mhz duron vcore 1.6)...the only problem I seem to be having is hanging up during heavy gaming or when I cook...LOL...but as I shared with the other poster I am ready, from the information that you and he and some other posters shared, to try and set it up normally in the jumper setting...with the 3.3v as well as the 3.56 default, if I need to, for learning purposes...will move to bigger things later...As always many thanks.

CONFUSION IS THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM (8th grade english teacher)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, depending on the PS it can vary as much as 10% (that would be +5% or -5% from it's midpoint). I don't know what the danger level is for most components, but some manufacturers recommend no more than 10% over voltage.