PIII on asus P2B

G

Hi there,

I've got an asus P2B motherboard that I've been using successfully with a PII 233. Now I'd like to upgrade to a PIII 800.

I've got revision 1.02 of the card, which means that the voltage (for the processor) can't go under 1.8v . And the PIII needs 1.65v (It would work OK with revision 1.12, which can deliver 1.65v to the processor)

So my question is :
if I buy a PIII 800 E FCPGA
and an adaptor (slotket) S370 1.65v -> slot1 2.8v
would that work ?

I've heard that even by putting a PIII 800E slot1 directly (so with 1.8v), it works. But I want a *very* stable system, so I don't know.

Any experiences/ideas ?

Many thanks,

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As a previous P2B owner, the most stable way of doing this would be to use a Slocket adapter that also has a voltage regulator built in. While a slot 1 Coopermine would work at 1.8V, that is still overvoltaged (is that a word?) for an 800. The 1.8V was used on the 1GHz slot 1, but I think those were 133. While the 800 would run at 1.8V, I cannot say for sure if it would affect the lifespan of the chip.

G

you wil probably need a BIOS update unless you have version 1010 or 1011 to support cu-mine PIII's. it looks like the board will support an 800, but i cant be sure. i would get a slocket II adapter and a fcpga PIII 800, this way you can regulate the voltage.

ignore everything i say

G

Hi, any suggestions to my similiar problem?

I put an Intel 1,1GHZ PentiumIII FSB100 1,75V coppermine-FC-PGA-CPU on my ASUS P3B-F motherboard, Rev1.04 and it doesn't boot: black screen.
The CPU was fixed on a MSI MS6905-MASTER REV:2 Slot1-Adapter (Slocket) and NOT on the original ASUS S370-Adapter.

ASUS says on their website, this CPU will run on this board-rev. . I tried all the jumpers on the slocket and also on the motherboard: no effect.

When I put my old i550Mhz-P3 (boxed ver.) back into the slot1 all works fine!

So my questions:
1. Has anyone an ASUS P3B-F AND a 1100MHz CPU running?
2. Has anyone the original ASUS S370-Slocket-card on this mainboard? Which CPU do you use?

Greetings
cumine

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Better go with the Asus S370-DL slotket adapter.

if you have the P3 800 with 133 MHz FSB, it will run only at 600 (its multiplier x6 is locked). I dont recall P2B having any overclocking facility.

If it does have, then your 1.8V limit on your adapter might be a blessing in disguise! If you make the CPU run faster, sometimes you need to increase the core voltage a tad! So working at 800/133 (133x6) might do well with higher core voltage.

The chip would work at 1.8V anyway, but if not cooled properly it might make a unstable system.

So if your adapter doesnt know 1.65V <i>AND</i> your P2B (will check it out) does support 133 MHz FSB overclock, then you can easily use your processor.

If you already have a 800/100 processor, better go for the latest adapter!

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I suggest the FC-PGA PIII 700 overclocked to 933. It's cheap, fast, etc. Get the Abit Slotket III and set it at 1.80v, and use a good cooler. That way you won't run into voltage detection problems on your motherboard. All of this is contingent on your ability to run a 133MHz FSB (having the setting and proper RAM).

Oh, you'll have touble finding ANY slotket with adjustable voltage. Do a search at <A HREF="http://www.googlegear.com" target="_new">http://www.googlegear.com</A> and put part number 707603 in the search box, it's only $8.99.

Back to you Tom...

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
crash where had you been?

i guess you had your exams or something? how did it go?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LoL!

So I havent done any special assignments yet, I dont drink!