Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why doesn't BFBC2/SC2 run smoothly?

Last response: in Video Games
July 2, 2011 6:02:27 PM

Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

I have a decent rig setup, and just upgraded my video card and expected a lot more out of it. Turns out I still have video lag issues and mediocre FPS in the two games I play most, BF Bad Company 2 and Starcraft 2. I have done a lot of research, but haven't found any definitive answers to my problems. I hope you guys can help me out in figuring out my system bottlenecks.

My best guess is I need to upgrade my OS, MOBO and CPU (get a quad core or better) But before I drop $600 more for upgrades, I would like to hear some advice from the community. Thanks in advance!

My specs:

Video Card: MSI Nvidia 460GTX Hawk Talon
CPU: Wolfdale 3.0ghz core 2 duo
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3G LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard FSB 1333, DDR 800/1066
Ram: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK
HDD:Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
HDD: 1 x Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
PSU: BFG GS-650 (650W)

More about : bfbc2 sc2 run smoothly

July 2, 2011 8:31:08 PM

battlefield needs a quad core cpu
m
l

Best solution

July 2, 2011 9:53:33 PM

a quad core is only part of the problem. Your video card can't render all BBC2 has to offer. You'll have to make sacrifices in the games settings.

I run a quad9550-8gig ddr2/800 at 1920 res. I had some problems with several games because of lack of vram. 1gig wasn't cutting it. However, since you're running DX9 some of that should be alleviated but not all.

I wouldn't waste money on a 775 processor right now. Not only is it "dated' but it's also more expensive than much better ( faster ) processors. You can try another video card with more ram but your processor will hold you back...... whether you over clock it or not.

Time to seriously think about saving money for a big ( expensive ) upgrade or try and "fix" what you have. You mentioned something about $600. If you can add another 2 between now and Xmas you could build a real decent machine.

A standard 2500... not the k model, a 2gig video card, W7, 4gig of "standard" ram and a decent mother board and PS and you're set for a while.
Related resources
July 2, 2011 9:55:02 PM

As a matter of fact the PS you have would probably still be adequate.
m
l
July 2, 2011 10:34:53 PM

that video card should play games on high. your limited by your cpu.
m
l
July 3, 2011 1:37:54 AM

swifty_morgan said:
a quad core is only part of the problem. Your video card can't render all BBC2 has to offer. You'll have to make sacrifices in the games settings.

I run a quad9550-8gig ddr2/800 at 1920 res. I had some problems with several games because of lack of vram. 1gig wasn't cutting it. However, since you're running DX9 some of that should be alleviated but not all.

I wouldn't waste money on a 775 processor right now. Not only is it "dated' but it's also more expensive than much better ( faster ) processors. You can try another video card with more ram but your processor will hold you back...... whether you over clock it or not.

Time to seriously think about saving money for a big ( expensive ) upgrade or try and "fix" what you have. You mentioned something about $600. If you can add another 2 between now and Xmas you could build a real decent machine.

A standard 2500... not the k model, a 2gig video card, W7, 4gig of "standard" ram and a decent mother board and PS and you're set for a while.

Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying I need 4 MORE gigs of ram?

Also: 2 gigs of Video ram??? REALLY? Have we come that far? You think two SLI 1 gig Vidcards are better than a single 2 gig? I read a lot of mixed review.

Was looking at this for a new MOBO for SLI?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks again for all the help. I am going cross eyed from reading reviews.
m
l
July 3, 2011 2:15:29 AM

No, I don't think running 2 of those cards in sli is better than a 6950 with 2gigs of vram. You're still only going to have 1gig vram avail. Putting 2 of those together doesn't mean you'll have the 2gigs.......... games and what is there for them to show you has changed a lot "lately". Take into consideration tessellation and your goose is cooked.

No, what I said about the ram...... 4gigs should be enough. I built this machine a long time ago and DDR2 was real cheap so I doubled up on it. Fopr most peoples needs 4gig should be enough.

I salivate while looking at that board, LOL. It's up to you. If you want to sli that's okay by me. But I can only give you suggestions based on my experiences.

As far as the reviews go. You have to take them with a grain of salt. They are mostly "automated" and the reviewers can only tell you what the frame rates are........ usually the higher ones...... and can't tell you where or for what reason the card "failed" at certain points in any given game.

I gotta edit this............... if you update your mother board and processor and get some "average" ram..... that alone with your card will help a lot over what you have now. However, I still strongly believe you can get more out by swapping out for a better card too.
m
l
July 3, 2011 2:41:37 AM

you will see much better performance from a better cpu then you will see from getting a 6950 2gb card
m
l
July 3, 2011 5:52:44 AM

if you are experience lag issues in online play, the problem is likely unrelated to your hardware, and more to do with internet connection. try playing in single player mode to make sure it is hardware related.

what resolution are you playing at? for bc2 I suggest lowering AA to x2 and turning off SBAO or whatever it is called. There are also a whole bunch of other settings that hurt frame rates without making a noticeable difference in graphics quality.
m
l
July 3, 2011 6:09:01 PM

Overclocked Toaster said:
if you are experience lag issues in online play, the problem is likely unrelated to your hardware, and more to do with internet connection. try playing in single player mode to make sure it is hardware related.

what resolution are you playing at? for bc2 I suggest lowering AA to x2 and turning off SBAO or whatever it is called. There are also a whole bunch of other settings that hurt frame rates without making a noticeable difference in graphics quality.

Hmmm, just played single player on max graphics in BFBC2, and it ran very smoothly short of a few minor hiccups, mostly during the mini-movies and not during actual game play. Gameplay was very smooth, short of a handful of minor chugging.
But isn't online play a little more intense on the hardware?

I used http://pingtest.net/ and got a 0% packet loss, 35ms Ping, and 13ms Jitter.

I also used http://www.speedtest.net/ and got 17ms ping, 22mbps download and 4mbps upload.

That seems decent enough to play games online. Am I missing something here?

I appreciate your help.
m
l
July 3, 2011 7:09:58 PM

from what i understand it depends on how far away the server is that your playing on that determines your game time ping.
m
l
July 3, 2011 7:40:13 PM

yes if the server is far away, or if the server is generally just crappy, you will face lag issues. connect to servers with low latency/ping that are also near you.
m
l
July 3, 2011 8:12:20 PM

Best answer selected by beast53.
m
l
!