Motorola V710 Pulled from Verizon

I went to the Verizon store near Allentown, PA to look at the Motorola V710
phone. When I could not find it on display I asked the sales rep what
happended to it. She said it was pulled from sale because of a problem with
the camera, and could not say if and when it would be available again.

Has anyone else heard of a problem with the V710 at Verizon?

DonR

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

That is old news that has been discussed all over this newsgroup. After they
filter out the bad batch, the remaining phones will be made available again.
Certain batches were manufactured with a phone mispositioned.

"Old Egypt" <Ramises@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I went to the Verizon store near Allentown, PA to look at the Motorola
V710
> phone. When I could not find it on display I asked the sales rep what
> happended to it. She said it was pulled from sale because of a problem
with
> the camera, and could not say if and when it would be available again.
>
> Has anyone else heard of a problem with the V710 at Verizon?

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize it was old news.

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 00:56:51 GMT, "Old Egypt" <Ramises@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I went to the Verizon store near Allentown, PA to look at the Motorola V710
>phone. When I could not find it on display I asked the sales rep what
>happended to it. She said it was pulled from sale because of a problem with
>the camera, and could not say if and when it would be available again.
>
>Has anyone else heard of a problem with the V710 at Verizon?

Yes, the phones were pulled for about 2 weeks. Several of the
stores in Phoenix are getting the phones again.

cv

M-M wrote:
> In article <db0fte$rb1$3@reader2.panix.com>,
> EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com wrote:
>
> > The reviews say that the camera takes lousy pictures. Besides, the new
> > Moto 810 just came out.
>
> The 810 has a worse camera (only 640x480), no Bluetooth, no memory card
> slot, and half the memory of the v710:
> http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=295
>
> m-m

I think he ment the E815. Not the 810.

Get the !!E815!! it is identical in user interface and features of the
710 save; evdo, a 1.3 mp camera and no analog (amps) service. Best of
all its only 149.99 with a 2 year contract. I got the 710 for 299.99
back in september. Silly rabbit.

--
Friendly

In article <Friendly.1s2csz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
Friendly <Friendly.1s2csz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

> Get the !!E815!! it is identical in user interface and features of the
> 710 save; evdo, a 1.3 mp camera and no analog (amps) service. Best of
> all its only 149.99 with a 2 year contract.

So why is the E815 better than the v710? Price only? I got the v710 for
free. (150-100 for new every 2 and a $50 rebate)

m-m

Matt Wrote:
> Friendly wrote:
> > Get the !!E815!! it is identical in user interface and features of
> the
> > 710 save; evdo, a 1.3 mp camera and no analog (amps) service. Best of
> > all its only 149.99 with a 2 year contract. I got the 710 for 299.99
> > back in september. Silly rabbit.
> >

> Umm why is it better? I got the V710 for free... and I WANT amps...
> why would you opt OUT of having service in some remote areas?!?! that's
> just stupid. it has no flash and half the memory of the v710. I
> half
> wonder if the v710 wasn't taken off the market because peopel were
> "hacking" it... mine has been hacked... I love it... I can move photos
> between the card and internal camera.
Some people think that wireless broadband access is a better feature
than being able to use ancient technology in the middle of no where.
the E815 does have flash memory and over twice the internal memory of
the V710, again the only thing you are losing is AMPS service
everything else is improved including the battery life. Matt quit
wasting bandwidth with your lies and ignorance.
http://tinyurl.com/4jv9c

--
Friendly

In alt.cellular.verizon, M-M <nospam@ny.more> wrote:
> In article <db0fte$rb1$3@reader2.panix.com>,
> EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com wrote:

> > The reviews say that the camera takes lousy pictures. Besides, the new
> > Moto 810 just came out.

> The 810 has a worse camera (only 640x480), no Bluetooth, no memory card
> slot, and half the memory of the v710:
> http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=295

Oops. I meant the E815.

--
Words are flying out like endless rain into a paper cup.
They slither while they pass. They slip away across the universe.

--John Lennon

In alt.cellular.verizon, Matt <spammers@are.bad.com> wrote:

> Umm why is it better? I got the V710 for free... and I WANT amps...
> why would you opt OUT of having service in some remote areas?!?! that's
> just stupid.

That is a disadvantage, yes.

> it has no flash and half the memory of the v710.

It has a flash. It also has a memory card capable (currently) of 256
megs. If you need more, $30 will get you another 256M. It also has a
better quality camera, and EV-DO.

--

In article <Friendly.1s4dpy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/4jv9c

I don't see any advantage of the E815 over the V710 unless you believe
the part about 4.67 hours of talk time on a single battery charge. It's
bigger and heavier, no analog.

Oh, but the E815 can store 1000 in the addressbook vs 500 for the v710.
I don't even know that many people. And it's cabable of streaming
multimedia, so you can watch a 2 inch movie.

m-m

"M-M" <nospam@ny.more> wrote in message
> In article <Friendly.1s4dpy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>
> > http://tinyurl.com/4jv9c
>
> I don't see any advantage of the E815 over the V710 unless you believe
> the part about 4.67 hours of talk time on a single battery charge. It's
> bigger and heavier, no analog.
>
> Oh, but the E815 can store 1000 in the addressbook vs 500 for the v710.
> I don't even know that many people. And it's cabable of streaming
> multimedia, so you can watch a 2 inch movie.

How about DUN over Bluetooth? I just tried it, and it works fine, albeit a
little slow in my area. Of course, the biggest advantage is full OBEX,
though it takes a seem edit to enable it. I haven't tried it yet (still
waiting for my USB cable to come), but from everything I've read it should
support all Bluetooth services, and permit file transfers, syncing, etc.

> m-m

> How about DUN over Bluetooth? I just tried it, and it works fine, albeit a
> little slow in my area. Of course, the biggest advantage is full OBEX,
> though it takes a seem edit to enable it. I haven't tried it yet (still
> waiting for my USB cable to come), but from everything I've read it should
> support all Bluetooth services, and permit file transfers, syncing, etc.

Sorry, but what's DUN?

And you can SEEM edit the 710 to get full OBEX the same way.

> > How about DUN over Bluetooth? I just tried it, and it works fine,
albeit a
> > little slow in my area. Of course, the biggest advantage is full OBEX,
> > though it takes a seem edit to enable it. I haven't tried it yet (still
> > waiting for my USB cable to come), but from everything I've read it
should
> > support all Bluetooth services, and permit file transfers, syncing, etc.
>
> Sorry, but what's DUN?

Dial-up Networking

> And you can SEEM edit the 710 to get full OBEX the same way.

I didn't know that. I had thought that the 710 didn't have full OBEX.

PTravel wrote:
> "M-M" <nospam@ny.more> wrote in message
>
>>>How about DUN over Bluetooth? I just tried it, and it works fine, albeit a
>>>little slow in my area. Of course, the biggest advantage is full OBEX,
>>>though it takes a seem edit to enable it. I haven't tried it yet (still
>>>waiting for my USB cable to come), but from everything I've read it should
>
>>>support all Bluetooth services, and permit file transfers, syncing, etc.
>>
>>Sorry, but what's DUN?
>
> Dial-up Networking
>
>>And you can SEEM edit the 710 to get full OBEX the same way.
>
> I didn't know that. I had thought that the 710 didn't have full OBEX.

No OBEX on the 710, according to the master phone modders on
HowardForums. Doesn't seem to be implemented in the software. It IS in
the 815, where it can be "liberated" with a seem edit.

And you don't need any mods to move pictures between the TF and internal
memory. What HAS been disabled in this area is the ability to move audio
files from the TF to the phone memory, where they can be used as ringtones.

In article <3jlp35Fqqj28U1@individual.net>,
"PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote:

> > Sorry, but what's DUN?
>
> Dial-up Networking

I can BT my 710 to connect my laptop to the internet at 240,400 bps
using vzw network for only the cost of minutes. Is that DUN?

> > And you can SEEM edit the 710 to get full OBEX the same way.
>
> I didn't know that. I had thought that the 710 didn't have full OBEX.

Off the shelf, you can't. I have not tried the hacks but I read that it
can be done.

m-m

In article <1yjBe.1976$Rv7.1121@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:

> And you don't need any mods to move pictures between the TF and internal
> memory. What HAS been disabled in this area is the ability to move audio
> files from the TF to the phone memory, where they can be used as ringtones.

Ah, but there is a way to do that and it works. Here is what I have used:

<from another poster, thank you whoeveryouare>

"While the menu item to move the audio file from TF to the phone's
memory has been disabled in the current software, the technique being
referred to is to send the ringtone on the TF as a MMS message to a
bogus phone number (e.g., 555-555-5555), when when it fails, the
ringtone will be in the outbox, from which it can be saved as a
ringtone. But only if it is small enough, and of the right format (an
MP3 file renamed [not converted!] to a .mid file, I think). The HoFo
thread has specifics, and noone has said that it no longer works."

m-m

LOOK M-M I wasn't asking for your approval on my opinion, you already
have the 710 so its a moot point, quit wasting everyones time with your
pointless rhetoric about the 710 and how its vastly [un]superior. Why
don't you go somewhere else and nitpick 5 insignificant differences
between 2 other phones, im sure you will find plenty of time to do that
while you are out in the desert trying to get an amps tower to prove to
everyone what an utterly useless point you were trying to make. I on
the other hand will be surfing the internet at Evdo speeds in my car.
Great purchase on the 710 though you are way ahead of the technology
curve, it was realesed almost a year ago.
>What is DUN?
Are you serious? How is it you even know how to use a computer?

>>Charles H correctly typed;
>>No OBEX on the 710, according to the master phone modders on
>>HowardForums. Doesn't seem to be implemented in the software. It IS
in
>>the 815, where it can be "liberated" with a seem edit.

Looks like you were wrong yet again about the 710, is there any other
lies you would like to propogate? I know you would have trouble
lifting that extra 15 grams and fitting those few extra 1/100ths of an
inch in beltline of your dress. Please, I beg again, stop the needless
occupation of server disk space with your lies. I can't wait for
whatever dimwitted reply you are trying to conceive.

--
Friendly

> In article <3jlp35Fqqj28U1@individual.net>,
> "PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote:
>

> > > Sorry, but what's DUN?
> >
> > Dial-up Networking
>
> I can BT my 710 to connect my laptop to the internet at 240,400 bps
> using vzw network for only the cost of minutes. Is that DUN?

That's DUN.

> > > And you can SEEM edit the 710 to get full OBEX the same way.
> >
> > I didn't know that. I had thought that the 710 didn't have full OBEX.
>
> Off the shelf, you can't. I have not tried the hacks but I read that it
> can be done.

From what I've read at HowardForums, it can't -- OBEX isn't included in the
phone's firmware.

In article <3jnj2iFqthfeU1@individual.net>,
"PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote:

> > > I didn't know that. I had thought that the 710 didn't have full OBEX.
> >
> > Off the shelf, you can't. I have not tried the hacks but I read that it
> > can be done.
>
> From what I've read at HowardForums, it can't -- OBEX isn't included in the
> phone's firmware.

This page suggests you can seem edit the v710:

http://zano6.home.att.net/V710_Stock_Phone.htm

OBEX.

> > > Off the shelf, you can't. I have not tried the hacks but I read that
it
> > > can be done.
> >
> > From what I've read at HowardForums, it can't -- OBEX isn't included in
the
> > phone's firmware.
>
> This page suggests you can seem edit the v710:
>
> http://zano6.home.att.net/V710_Stock_Phone.htm

I'll take your word for it. Frankly, it doesn't matter to me, as I bought
an E815 last week. ;)

PTravel wrote:
> "M-M" <nospam@ny.more> wrote in message

>>>From what I've read at HowardForums, it can't -- OBEX isn't included in the
>>>phone's firmware.
>>
>>This page suggests you can seem edit the v710:
>>
>>http://zano6.home.att.net/V710_Stock_Phone.htm
>
> I'll take your word for it. Frankly, it doesn't matter to me, as I bought
> an E815 last week. ;)

You can seem-edit the 710 to enable the Multimedia Studio functionality
in Motorola Phone Tools (picture/sound transfers by USB cable or
BlueTooth), but it has been determined that this is done using extended
modem functionality ("AT" commands), not OBEX profiles, so it works only
with that application. You can also re-enable the ability to move MP3
files from the TransFlash to the phone memory.

And the OBEX functionality in the 815 is only available after some
surgery on the seems.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:21:53 -0500, Friendly
<Friendly.1s5vvz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> chose to add this to the great
equation of life, the universe, and everything:

> I on
>the other hand will be surfing the internet at Evdo speeds in my car.

While withholding my opinion of the actual usefulness of that activity, I
sincerely hope that if you do it while actually driving, you don't live or
travel anywhere near me.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"[A]lways remember the No. 1 rule of tile-installation professionals: Wear
clean underwear." - Dave Barry

"Friendly" <Friendly.1s5vvz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> LOOK M-M I wasn't asking for your approval on my opinion, you already
> have the 710 so its a moot point, quit wasting everyones time with your
> pointless rhetoric about the 710 and how its vastly [un]superior. Why
> don't you go somewhere else and nitpick 5 insignificant differences
> between 2 other phones, im sure you will find plenty of time to do that
> while you are out in the desert trying to get an amps tower to prove to
> everyone what an utterly useless point you were trying to make. I on
> the other hand will be surfing the internet at Evdo speeds in my car.
> Great purchase on the 710 though you are way ahead of the technology
> curve, it was realesed almost a year ago.
>>What is DUN?
> Are you serious? How is it you even know how to use a computer?
>
>>>Charles H correctly typed;
>>>No OBEX on the 710, according to the master phone modders on
>>>HowardForums. Doesn't seem to be implemented in the software. It IS
> in
>>>the 815, where it can be "liberated" with a seem edit.
>
> Looks like you were wrong yet again about the 710, is there any other
> lies you would like to propogate? I know you would have trouble
> lifting that extra 15 grams and fitting those few extra 1/100ths of an
> inch in beltline of your dress. Please, I beg again, stop the needless
> occupation of server disk space with your lies. I can't wait for
> whatever dimwitted reply you are trying to conceive.
>

> --
> Friendly

Dude, you're a jackass.