prob with my case and iwill - need help bad

G

I just put an iwill mobo in my case and the header for the power on button and LED lights is different. I can't connect them together and can't power on the system. How can I power on? I don't care about the led lights, just need to power on.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by m_kelder on 06/08/01 02:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Err...maybe you got the power button wire that plugs into the mobo on backwards. That happened to me. Just flipped it around and, voilla.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

G

im not real clear on what you are saying.......are the connectors from your case not compatible with the motherboard? what do you mean?

ignore everything i say

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
m_kelder,

I replied to your post at the Iwill BBS.

I'm not sure how your connectors could be too different from the norm as long as you're putting an ATX board in an ATX case. Are you using an AT case, or something?

Bottom line, for ATX case:

Pins 1 and 13 are the power switch connections on the KK266 and KA266. I'm not sure on other boards, but suspect they're the same on their newer boards. Pin 1 is ground.

BW

the more I learn, the less I'm sure I know... :eek:

G

The case was from Dell so everything wasn't standard. I can power on now but I can't get any video single to the monitor.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Do you get any beeps when the computer trys to post? Is the FSB set to 100 or 133mhz?? How many watt p/s is in that case? Plus what CPU do you have in it? Four things, memory, CPU, video card, power supply. If you have another video card you might want to try it out to see if it will post. Try a different stick of ram if you have one or pull out any extra stick of ram and test, switch ram around and retest. If no go, reset cmos and try again. Carefully examine cpu by removing HSF unless this was a Retail cpu with HSF already attached. Check for discolorization, chips on the edges.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 06/08/01 11:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I don't have a pc speaker, my dell used led lights as the diagnostics so it is probably sending the beep at me but I can't hear it. 1 256mb pc133 dimm, tbird 1ghz @ 100fsb @100 fsb, vid card is agp rage 2, 300 watt psu. Resetting the cmos didn't do anything. I'll check the again but I'll have to take the swiftech 462 which is a pain, everything was fine with the cou before I put the heatsink on.

One interesting thing to not. When I first had everything plugged in I powered on and the bootup screen showed up with the cpu/ram info but it froze there and the screen was waving around weirdly. I powered down and haven'y gotten it to send a single to the monitor. I have a vid card I can try in the pci slot. When I power on I hear the hard drive power on tickes a bit and then shuts down. I've checked all the ide cables and the jumper settings on the hard drive.

Western digitals site say this:
"Some system BIOS's CANNOT properly recognize hard drives that have more than 4095 cylinders, while other CANNOT properly recognize hard drives that have more than 16383 cylinders." I'm pretty sure a new mobo like the iwill kk266 can read them fine right? They suggested I disconnect all ide cables and attempt to reach bios from there. That did not work. I'll try the other vid card now.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
If you disconnected the IDE cables then the problem lies else where.

Disconnect the floopy cable too if you havn't.

Now did you use thermal grease on your cpu? To much can actually come in contact with some of the L bridges on the cpu causing all sorts of havoc. Just something else for you to consider. This is something very easy to do and not notice. Doesn't take much, most thermal compounds are very conductive.

Change out your ram and see what happens. Hooking up a speaker may really help out in this matter, any kind of speaker would work.

Hopefully it is something simple and not a serious problem.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
My limited experience with a dell case is that nothing is standard. Trying to convert a new MB to there original/MB case setup is next to impossible. Things don't match up. DELL doesn't want you to upgrade outside of DELL or should I say {HELL} for short. Save yourself!!!! Dell cases make excellent door mats.