Sign in with
Your question

A7M266 or KG7R? AGP or AGP "Pro"?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 9, 2001 8:26:20 AM

What gives regarding these 2 types of AGP slots? I can't choose between ASUS A7M & ABIT KG7R.

It comes down to this:

ASUS = 2 Dimm slots
ABIT = 4 Dimm slots > advantage ABIT

ASUS = AGP PRO > advantage ASUS
ABIT = AGP

I like the fact I can install 4 relatively cheap 256Mb DImms in the ABIT board, but adding 1Gb of ram to the ASUS board would be really expensive (requiring 2 512Mb dimms). The ASUS AGP Pro slot might benefit me when I buy a GeForce2 (or 3) card (or will it)?

What would you peeps do?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.
June 9, 2001 9:02:08 AM

As a reply to my own post, would you recommend another board altogether with the 761 chipset instead?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.
June 9, 2001 10:34:39 AM

The A7M266 is a AMD 761 chipset board. Other than that I recommend K7 Master for the AMD chipset. However that has only 2 slots also.

As far as the AGP Pro goes you really don't need it quite yet. It is only for providing more power to video cards that need it, and there aren't any that I know of out right now. I know the GF2 Ultra isn't even AGP Pro. But if you want AGP Pro just in case the 4x AGP standard will still fit in its slot.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.
June 9, 2001 6:55:34 PM

The K7-Master is AGP pro ready if you ever need it. There are some new 761 MBs hitting the market now and until there proven I can't recommend any yet. I can recommend the K7-master as being a very stable, fast, and proven MB with all around top performance and also TROUBLE FREE!!! for the most part. As far as needing 1gig of ram right now I would consider that overkill. If your looking to OC a MB to the max wait awhile there are some new ones coming out that are very promising. As of now I don't now if the K7 can handle the Athlon4 due to lack of solid information. As usual my opinions are based on what I've seen on other forums and read in reviews. I can also strongly recommend this MB because I puchased the K7-master and have had no problems outside of the normal setup blues!! There is also a great support forum at www.msihardware.com

K7-Master Ver. 1.1 2 dimm Bios Ver 1.1
T-Bird 1.2 266fsb retail box OC'ed to 1.4
{cpu host/pci clock: 140/35}
{cpu Vcore select: Default}
{cpu ratio: x10}
Tai-Sol CGK760092 H/S
Crucial 512mb PC2100 CL=2.5
Unbuffered non-parity 8-8-8-3-7-2-3
Asus V7700 32 DDR Geforce 2
{Memory Clock 400}
{Core Clock 210}
{8500 3D Mark 2000}