Power-over-ethernet interoperability

Hi. I own a access point Cisco Aironet 1100, and I'm considering
purchasing a power injector for the Ethernet cable (technology known as
PoE / Power-over-Ethernet). I have easy access to the injector Senao PoE
model NP-2401-040, which has the same voltage (48v), but before
purchasing it I would like to make sure that it's going to work with my
AP (in the AP's docs says that I should buy a Cisco injector).

Urls:
- Senao PoE NP-2401-040:
http://www.senao.com.tw/english/product/product_wireless01_outdoor_1.asp?pgtl=Wireless&tp1id=02&tp2id=04&proid=000112
- Cisco Aironet 1100:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/

I don't know much about all this PoE stuff, so any help is appreciated.
Thanks,

Javier Sanz.
3 answers Last reply
More about power over ethernet interoperability

    Grounding is the biggest issue you will need to worry about. If the POE
    doesn't have a static displacer you could potentially blow the ports on the
    AP along with anything connected to the unit. I suggest Tranzeo's new POE
    with static displacer or Motorola's.

    Sean Hartling
    Skybeam High Speed Wireless internet

    "Sean" <shartling@skybeam.com> wrote in message
    > Grounding is the biggest issue you will need to worry about. If the
    POE
    > doesn't have a static displacer you could potentially blow the ports
    on the
    > AP along with anything connected to the unit. I suggest Tranzeo's
    new POE
    > with static displacer or Motorola's.
    >
    > Sean Hartling
    > Skybeam High Speed Wireless internet
    >
    > "sWitCh" <mispamaki@ya.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi. I own a access point Cisco Aironet 1100, and I'm considering
    > > purchasing a power injector for the Ethernet cable (technology
    known as
    > > PoE / Power-over-Ethernet). I have easy access to the injector
    Senao PoE
    > > model NP-2401-040, which has the same voltage (48v), but before
    purchasing
    > > it I would like to make sure that it's going to work with my AP
    (in the
    > > AP's docs says that I should buy a Cisco injector).
    > >
    > > Urls:
    > > - Senao PoE NP-2401-040:

    http://www.senao.com.tw/english/product/product_wireless01_outdoor_1.a
    sp?pgtl=Wireless&tp1id=02&tp2id=04&proid=000112
    > > - Cisco Aironet 1100:
    > > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/
    > >
    > > I don't know much about all this PoE stuff, so any help is
    appreciated.
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Javier Sanz.

    The Cisco shows to use -48v and the Senao POE shows a dc output of
    +48. So I would say no to senao and yes to cisco.

    > Hi. I own a access point Cisco Aironet 1100, and I'm considering
    > purchasing a power injector for the Ethernet cable (technology known as
    > PoE / Power-over-Ethernet). I have easy access to the injector Senao PoE
    > model NP-2401-040, which has the same voltage (48v), but before
    > purchasing it I would like to make sure that it's going to work with my
    > AP (in the AP's docs says that I should buy a Cisco injector).

    there are several different "pre standard" implementations for power over
    ethernet, and cisco did their own version until the 802.3af standard came
    out.

    Since the 1100 came out before 802.3af was finished, and there is no mention
    of of the standard on the data sheet,
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_data_sheet09186a00800f927d.html
    i would not try to substitute something different unless the manufacturer
    explicitly supports this type of cisco device.

    --
    Regards

Ethernet Card Cisco Power Wireless Networking