Power-over-ethernet interoperability

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 8, 2004 6:11:05 AM

Hi. I own a access point Cisco Aironet 1100, and I'm considering
purchasing a power injector for the Ethernet cable (technology known as
PoE / Power-over-Ethernet). I have easy access to the injector Senao PoE
model NP-2401-040, which has the same voltage (48v), but before
purchasing it I would like to make sure that it's going to work with my
AP (in the AP's docs says that I should buy a Cisco injector).

Urls:
- Senao PoE NP-2401-040:
http://www.senao.com.tw/english/product/product_wireles...
- Cisco Aironet 1100:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/

I don't know much about all this PoE stuff, so any help is appreciated.
Thanks,

Javier Sanz.
December 8, 2004 9:12:59 AM

Grounding is the biggest issue you will need to worry about. If the POE
doesn't have a static displacer you could potentially blow the ports on the
AP along with anything connected to the unit. I suggest Tranzeo's new POE
with static displacer or Motorola's.

Sean Hartling
Skybeam High Speed Wireless internet

"sWitCh" <mispamaki@ya.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I own a access point Cisco Aironet 1100, and I'm considering
> purchasing a power injector for the Ethernet cable (technology known as
> PoE / Power-over-Ethernet). I have easy access to the injector Senao PoE
> model NP-2401-040, which has the same voltage (48v), but before purchasing
> it I would like to make sure that it's going to work with my AP (in the
> AP's docs says that I should buy a Cisco injector).
>
> Urls:
> - Senao PoE NP-2401-040:
> http://www.senao.com.tw/english/product/product_wireles...
> - Cisco Aironet 1100:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/
>
> I don't know much about all this PoE stuff, so any help is appreciated.
> Thanks,
>
> Javier Sanz.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 9:35:46 AM

"Sean" <shartling@skybeam.com> wrote in message
> Grounding is the biggest issue you will need to worry about. If the
POE
> doesn't have a static displacer you could potentially blow the ports
on the
> AP along with anything connected to the unit. I suggest Tranzeo's
new POE
> with static displacer or Motorola's.
>
> Sean Hartling
> Skybeam High Speed Wireless internet
>
> "sWitCh" <mispamaki@ya.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. I own a access point Cisco Aironet 1100, and I'm considering
> > purchasing a power injector for the Ethernet cable (technology
known as
> > PoE / Power-over-Ethernet). I have easy access to the injector
Senao PoE
> > model NP-2401-040, which has the same voltage (48v), but before
purchasing
> > it I would like to make sure that it's going to work with my AP
(in the
> > AP's docs says that I should buy a Cisco injector).
> >
> > Urls:
> > - Senao PoE NP-2401-040:

http://www.senao.com.tw/english/product/product_wireles...
sp?pgtl=Wireless&tp1id=02&tp2id=04&proid=000112
> > - Cisco Aironet 1100:
> > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/
> >
> > I don't know much about all this PoE stuff, so any help is
appreciated.
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Javier Sanz.

The Cisco shows to use -48v and the Senao POE shows a dc output of
+48. So I would say no to senao and yes to cisco.
December 10, 2004 12:42:16 AM

> Hi. I own a access point Cisco Aironet 1100, and I'm considering
> purchasing a power injector for the Ethernet cable (technology known as
> PoE / Power-over-Ethernet). I have easy access to the injector Senao PoE
> model NP-2401-040, which has the same voltage (48v), but before
> purchasing it I would like to make sure that it's going to work with my
> AP (in the AP's docs says that I should buy a Cisco injector).

there are several different "pre standard" implementations for power over
ethernet, and cisco did their own version until the 802.3af standard came
out.

Since the 1100 came out before 802.3af was finished, and there is no mention
of of the standard on the data sheet,
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/...
i would not try to substitute something different unless the manufacturer
explicitly supports this type of cisco device.

--
Regards