Sign in with
Your question

Dragon Age: Origins - can my computer run it?

Last response: in Video Games
July 4, 2011 12:07:34 AM

I want to purchase Dragon Age: Origins for the PC, yet, even after reading the minimum specs requirement for it on this forum, I am not sure if my specs qualify. Here they are:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 4096 MB RAM

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450

Video Card Approximate Total Memory: 2295 MB

I'm not really a computer-savvy guy, so I'm sorry if the answer is terribly obvious. I haven't been able, for example, to find equivalency charts to compare my CPU with the one of minimal requirement. Thanks in advance for any information, references, advice, and answers.

More about : dragon age origins computer run

July 4, 2011 12:21:55 AM

I found these on a site, but I'm still not sure:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Single 1.6 Ghz Processor (or equivalent) or AMD 64 2.0 GHz Processor (or equivalent)

RAM: 1GB (1.5 GB Vista and Windows 7)

VGA: ATI 3850 512 MB or NVidia 8800GTS 512MB or greater

DX: DirectX (November 2007) DX: DirectX (November 2007)

OS: Windows XP (SP3) or Windows Vista (SP1) or Windows 7

HDD: 20 GB HD space

Sound: Direct X Compatible Sound Card

My DirectX Version: DirectX 11
m
l
July 4, 2011 12:45:10 AM

you can probably get playable frame rates if you tone the settings down, and play at some really low resolution. just how far you would have to tone it down im not sure. i would imagine low-medium settings on something like 1280x1024 resolution.

if you upgrade your graphics card to something like radeon 5670 you would get much bettter performance. your cpu and ram should be fine. let us know your monitor resolution and power supply rating if you are considering upgrade.

m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2011 12:48:12 AM

Thank you for your advice. Is the graphics card the only deficiency that would stunt the game's performance; is that the only problem with my specs to this game?
m
l
July 4, 2011 12:54:24 AM

yes, i just edited my previous post. your RAM is definitely more than enough. your cpu is low end, but should still be more than enough to get decent performance out of the game. your graphics card is bottom of the barrel stuff, and is not intended for gaming.

If you upgrade your graphics, you will notice a massive performance increase, though you may not be able to play exactly at maximum settings due to your cpu holding you back a bit.

btw your cpu meets the minimum requirements, and just barely meets the recommended requirements as well.
m
l
July 4, 2011 12:59:07 AM

Thank you very much. I will be sure to post that information should I decide to upgrade. Have a nice day.
m
l
July 4, 2011 1:22:56 AM

you are welcome, I hope you enjoy the game it is one of my favourites.
m
l
!