Help with MOBO Jumper Settings

G

I have a YangAn Socket 7 motherboard that i previously had an amd k6-2 300mhz chip on. i recently upgraded to a 550mhz amd chip and i can't for the life of me figure out what to change my jumper setting to in order for this board to recognize the chip. i check YangAn's site but they offer NO suppoprt for their boards whatsoever. CAN SOMEBODY HELP?!?!?!

jstn!

G

it was a 300mhz chip on a 100mhz bus. i bought the 550mhz chip but need to update my jumper settings for the 550. any help would be appreciated! =)

jstn!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you receive a manual with the motherboard? Or are the multiplier settings silkscreened on the motherboard? You need to set the multiplier to 5.5x, if you cannot find the jumper settings, I doubt that anyone else will. They do not offer a support page, but an email link can be found at <A HREF="http://www.yangan.com.tw/english/company/firstall.htm" target="_new">http://www.yangan.com.tw/english/company/firstall.htm</A>. If you email them I doubt they will reply.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

the machine was built for me by a friend who has since moved and i do not have any manuals or any sort to reference. i had emailed yangan about 3 days ago, not expecting to get a response, and as expected; i didn't. but there are two sets of jumpers on the board, one which has 6 trios of pins is located right next to the CPU. if you are looking at the cpu and the jumpers are to the left of the cpu, the top jumper is placed on the left pair, the second on the right, and it alternates like that all the way to the 6th trio of pins. there are some silkscreened words on the board but i can't make much sense of it. ahh im buying a real mobo when i go to college!!! thanks for the help anyway...

jstn!

G

i changed my jumper settings to the 5.5x like you said (i managed to make sense of the silkscreen charts on the motherboard) and the bios clocked the cpu zt 522mhz, which is significantly better than my old 300mhz =) but something weird i noticed after i put the chip in, i got a message form the BIOS saying "ConflictI/O Ports: 378 2F8 3F8" can you make sense of this?! thanks for all your help!!

jstn!

G

hey never mind i figured it out, it was a miscorrect setting in my bios - it's been taken care of =) thanks again for your help!

jstn!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I was going to say that-those are normally your communications ports. Probably conficted with each other or a modem. The fix was in BIOS, glad you figured it out.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine