Urshilaku camp - and that damn bow!

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Hi all,

Playing the Xbox version, I've reached Urshilaku camp, and have been
sent to the Urshilaku burial ground to get the bonebiter bow - my
problem is, I think I've killed the ghost that is supposed to have it
(from what I've read on the net), and I didn't pick it up, having
assumed it was just an ordinary ghost. Have I ruined the game? I don't
have a save from before this point, and going out and in the cave
desn't bring the ghost back. Can I do somethin else (a different
route) to continue with the game, or have I just flushed 20+ hours
play and a level 15 character out the window? Or, is the bow somewhere
else entirely?

PS - it's the Xbox version, so I can't console-command it into my
inventory...

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Here are two possibilities which should be considered in addition to
Wong's suggestion that you start over and remember to save more often
(spoilers ahead, obviously):

1) You could complete the main quest through the backpath, which
involves killing Vivec, reading his plans for you, and then
executing those plans with the help of Yagrum Bagarn.

2) If your console is modded and you are using a non-GotY version
of the game, there is a procedure for installing plugins on the
X-Box that can be used to load a mod that will add the weapon
to an arbitrary location or NPC.

--

--

Mail: marxistbastard666@yahoo.invalid
MSN Messenger: marxistbastard666@yahoo.invalid

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

user0 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Playing the Xbox version, I've reached Urshilaku camp, and have been
> sent to the Urshilaku burial ground to get the bonebiter bow - my
> problem is, I think I've killed the ghost that is supposed to have it
> (from what I've read on the net), and I didn't pick it up, having
> assumed it was just an ordinary ghost. Have I ruined the game? I don't
> have a save from before this point, and going out and in the cave
> desn't bring the ghost back. Can I do somethin else (a different
> route) to continue with the game, or have I just flushed 20+ hours
> play and a level 15 character out the window? Or, is the bow somewhere
> else entirely?
>
> PS - it's the Xbox version, so I can't console-command it into my
> inventory...

How long has it been since you killed the ghost? Corpses with
quest items remain quite a while before disappearing, at least
this is true in the PC version. If I were you, I would carefully
search the floor in that area. The corpse may be hard to see,
(it's a small pile of dust) but it should still be there.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:34:45 -0400, Briarroot
<woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions - I've searched the room - the corpse is
gone. I don't have a modded Xbox - and I save regularly, *and* make
backups - I don't have one for around the last 6 hours of game though.
*sigh*.
Marxist, do ou have more details on the "backroad" completion? What
will I miss, what are the disadvantages? Is this a *proper* way of
completing the main quest?

Thanks again,
user0.

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:56:55 +0100, user0 <unknown> wrote:

> [...] do ou have more details on the "backroad" completion? What
> will I miss, what are the disadvantages? Is this a *proper* way of
> completing the main quest?

Note to the oblivious: spoiler alert level teal. Break out the duct tape
and plastic wrap.

To complete the backpath, you must kill Vivec, get the Unique Dwemer
Artifact from his corpse, and then look over the documents he has prepared
for your "proper" arrival. If you do not have a reputation of 10 or
greater, a high personality, and good speechcraft skills, it would also be
a good idea to take the document named "Dagoth Ur's Plans" with you. With
the knowledge of your fate, the non-functioning Wraithguard from Vivec's
corpse, and, optionally, the document mentioned earlier, head to Tel Fyr.
Yagrum Bagarn will be in the Corprusarium Bowels, a dungeon below the
tower. He will tell you what to do next.

The backpack will result in you missing everything up to the confrontation
at Dagoth Ur. If you haven't been rendered immune to disease yet, you
never will; if you haven't completed the trials, you cannot do that either
(except possibly by going about the main quest up until the meeting with
Vivec even though the skies over Red Mountain are already clear, but
that's irrelevant in this case). Besides the things you will miss, there
is also one more disadvantage to this method: your maximum health will be
decreased by 200 permanently upon equipping the jury-rigged Wraithguard
(there is a way around this, though -- namely, having 200 points of
Fortify Health on your charachter when you first equip the gauntlet).

Whether this is proper or not is a matter of opinion. You defeat Dagoth
Ur, all of the common folk refer to you as Nerevarine, you'll be able to
access the Morag Tong's Grandmaster writs, the ending cinematic plays, and
the blight will be gone. On the other hand, however, you miss out on a
huge section of the main quest and never complete the trials of the
Nerevarine because of it. If you don't want to lose the charachter, I say
go ahead. You can always complete the main quest by normal means with
your next charachter.

--

Replace ".invalid" TLD in the mangled "From:" header with ".com" for a
working mailing address.

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

You're correct - the bow is with that ghost - the one inside the dungeon at
the top of the spire.
If you don't have a save game to go back to, consider changing your habbits
now....

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

>Whether this is proper or not is a matter of opinion. You defeat Dagoth
>Ur, all of the common folk refer to you as Nerevarine, you'll be able to
>access the Morag Tong's Grandmaster writs, the ending cinematic plays, and
>the blight will be gone. On the other hand, however, you miss out on a
>huge section of the main quest and never complete the trials of the
>Nerevarine because of it. If you don't want to lose the charachter, I say
>go ahead. You can always complete the main quest by normal means with
>your next charachter.

Well, thanks for the advice - very handy. I'll need to think about
this for a bit - I may just start over...

Thanks again,
user0

MERLIN

<user0> skrev i en meddelelse
> Hi all,
>
> Playing the Xbox version, I've reached Urshilaku camp, and have been
> sent to the Urshilaku burial ground to get the bonebiter bow - my
> problem is, I think I've killed the ghost that is supposed to have it
> (from what I've read on the net), and I didn't pick it up, having
> assumed it was just an ordinary ghost. Have I ruined the game? I don't
> have a save from before this point, and going out and in the cave
> desn't bring the ghost back. Can I do somethin else (a different
> route) to continue with the game, or have I just flushed 20+ hours
> play and a level 15 character out the window? Or, is the bow somewhere
> else entirely?
>
> PS - it's the Xbox version, so I can't console-command it into my
> inventory...

even if is some time since you killed him his 'remains' should
still be there

merlin

MERLIN

"Marxist ßastard" <marxistbastard666@yahoo.invalid> skrev i en meddelelse
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:56:55 +0100, user0 <unknown> wrote:
>
> > [...] do ou have more details on the "backroad" completion? What
> > will I miss, what are the disadvantages? Is this a *proper* way of
> > completing the main quest?
>
> Note to the oblivious: spoiler alert level teal. Break out the duct
tape
> and plastic wrap.
>
> To complete the backpath, you must kill Vivec, get the Unique Dwemer
> Artifact from his corpse, and then look over the documents he has
prepared
> for your "proper" arrival. If you do not have a reputation of 10 or
> greater, a high personality, and good speechcraft skills, it would also
be
> a good idea to take the document named "Dagoth Ur's Plans" with you.
With
> the knowledge of your fate, the non-functioning Wraithguard from Vivec's
> corpse, and, optionally, the document mentioned earlier, head to Tel
Fyr.
> Yagrum Bagarn will be in the Corprusarium Bowels, a dungeon below the
> tower. He will tell you what to do next.
>
> The backpack will result in you missing everything up to the
confrontation
> at Dagoth Ur. If you haven't been rendered immune to disease yet, you
> never will; if you haven't completed the trials, you cannot do that
either
> (except possibly by going about the main quest up until the meeting with
> Vivec even though the skies over Red Mountain are already clear, but
> that's irrelevant in this case). Besides the things you will miss,
there
> is also one more disadvantage to this method: your maximum health will
be
> decreased by 200 permanently upon equipping the jury-rigged Wraithguard
> (there is a way around this, though -- namely, having 200 points of
> Fortify Health on your charachter when you first equip the gauntlet).
>
> Whether this is proper or not is a matter of opinion. You defeat Dagoth
> Ur, all of the common folk refer to you as Nerevarine, you'll be able to
> access the Morag Tong's Grandmaster writs, the ending cinematic plays,
and
> the blight will be gone. On the other hand, however, you miss out on a
> huge section of the main quest and never complete the trials of the
> Nerevarine because of it. If you don't want to lose the charachter, I
say
> go ahead. You can always complete the main quest by normal means with
> your next charachter.

This 'missing bow' business puts a heavy line under the advice in
the manual - 'to check everything, no matter how seemingly
mundane and unimportant it is. Never to pass something over,
because it doesn't seems important. This often the best place
to 'hide' something - to place it in plain view, surrounded by
similar objects. 'hiding a letter, by simply placing it on top of
a pile of other letters'. It is often the last place you would look
for it

merlin

> --
>
> Replace ".invalid" TLD in the mangled "From:" header with ".com" for a
> working mailing address.
>
> Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:22:30 +0200, "Merlin"
<bech_dokNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

> <user0> skrev i en meddelelse
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Playing the Xbox version, I've reached Urshilaku camp, and have been
> > sent to the Urshilaku burial ground to get the bonebiter bow - my
> > problem is, I think I've killed the ghost that is supposed to have it
> > (from what I've read on the net), and I didn't pick it up, having
> > assumed it was just an ordinary ghost. Have I ruined the game? I don't
> > have a save from before this point, and going out and in the cave
> > desn't bring the ghost back. Can I do somethin else (a different
> > route) to continue with the game, or have I just flushed 20+ hours
> > play and a level 15 character out the window? Or, is the bow somewhere
> > else entirely?
> >
> > PS - it's the Xbox version, so I can't console-command it into my
> > inventory...
>
> even if is some time since you killed him his 'remains' should
> still be there
>
> merlin

Remains are gone, I've searched and searched - I do recall exactly
where I killed it too - this seems to be a porblem a lot of people
have had, if you google it.

I started with a new character at the weekend anyway, and I'm already
on level 7, so not too far to go - it's a little easier when you know
what you're doing, and you don't waste slots on useless skills and
such.

Thanks for the help, chaps.
Ta ta.