266 Mhz Motherboards

G

I am preparing to build a friend an AMD system. I plan on building the most current system available (for the next 30 seconds anyway). Therefore, I will be using the AMD 1400 mhz. My biggest problem is finding the best 266 mhz board. Tom hasn't posted a current review of this style board comparing multiple manufacturers. Therefore, I need some suggestions on who has the best, most stable board available at this time (for the next 30 seconds anyway, once again). I've noticed a lot of pros and cons being posted lately on the ASUS A7A 266. Is the consenus on this board that even though it is troublesome with high end processors that it's still the best of the litter? Also, I've noticed that a 400 Watt power supply is the suggestion for something as high as the 1400 AMD. Does everyone agree? I'd appreciate anyone and everyone's input.

NO, I will NOT fix your computer. And please, RTFM

jmycal

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
for ddr based athlon systems you want to go with a mobo that has the amd761 chipset, by far the most stable for ddr based systems. the 3 best choices (not necessarily in this order) Gigabyte 7DXR, Asus A7M266, or the MSI K7-Master. all three are solid choices. my pref is the 7dxr. it has a few additional features that the other 2 boards do not, like onboard raid 0,1 and 3 dimm slots

life is what happens while you are making other plans

G

Ah yes, I forgot to mention I already knew AMD 760 was the way to go. However, I'm not sure about the Gigabyte board. I don't know that I consider it in the running. I would put the FIC AD11 in its place. I found one review that was very enlightening:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/roundup0105/index.html

Any suggestions on what size power supply to use? I thought 300 Watts might be enough but it seems some think 350 or 400.

NO, I will NOT fix your computer. And please, RTFM<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Spiderman on 06/11/01 01:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Nah, the AMD chip isnt the way to go.
Its the new SIS chip (refer to Tom's latest review).

I'd suggest holding off a while and wait for a motherboard that supports the new Chip.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The most stable motherboard for the Athlno that is in production right now is the A7A266. You give up 2% overall performance for that stability, but I have yet to hear of any compatability issues. Of course you have to have the right BIOS installed for it to be that stable, but the stable BIOS should be on production boards by now.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine