Gigabyte GA-7DX or FIC AD11

G

Im thanking about to buying a Gigabyte GA-7DX or FIC AD11 but I just cant decide witch one. I have a FIC AZ11 right now and I think FIC is a real good company but the Gigabyte GA-7DX looks like a good mobo.

This is what my new system I going to look like

600 Duron (am going the up grade to the fastest Athon when I get more money) (old)
256mb DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 ECC form crucial (new)
SB Live X-Gamer (old)
MSI StarForce 831, GeForce2 Pro, 64MB DDR RAM (new)
Western Digital 20GB 7200rpm Ultra ATA 100 (new)
Western Digital 20GB 7200rpm ATA 66 (old)
56k 90v Modem (old)
100/10 Network card (old)
HP DVD (old)
4X/4X/16X burner (old)
HEC 350W (Athlon Recommended) (new)
One case fan, processor fan, and PCI fan.

Im mostly going to use it for games, VS6.0, word, and DVD ripping. And when win XP comes out im going to up grade.

So I guess my question is does anyone know anything bad about the Gigabyte GA-7DX or FIC AZ11? And does anyone have any ides about which mobo would be better for what im going to use it for?

Thanks

jmycal

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
instead of the 7dx look at the 7dxr same mobo w a few added feature, on board raid, 3 dimm slots

life is what happens while you are making other plans

G

Ok I looked at all the mobos at that web site and they all looked pretty good. I picked 2 that I really liked but I can’t decide between the two. The Gigabyte GA-7DX or the FIC AD11 I just can’t pick between the two J. The fic is simpler and simpler is better but the gigabyte has some cool stuff like built in temp sensor and junk like that…. I would be nice if some one would just tell me which one to buy I just cant decide my self. And a question, it says on the fic web site that the max Mhz is a 1333mhz althon so does that mean that a 1400 MHz althon or any newer althon processors would not work in it??

G

Well, if you looked at the bottom of the article under "Performance and Summary," you read that if you're looking for speed, the FIC wins out with the Asus board as a close second. They rated the Gigabyte performance not very high but that it was stable. If you base it on this one review, then I guess the FIC is the better choice. However, as I said, I will most likely be going with the MSI board in the system I am building for my friend. One thing you must remember is that the performance differences that are rated in benchmarks are in fractions of a second most of the time. Therefore, if a board ranks poorer than another it's not like it's a difference of night and day. Therefore, if you like the Gigabyte board, there is probably no reason to be skeptical about your choice. If there is something major wrong, then you will for sure read about it in the review. Otherwise, it's just one board a split second faster than another.

NO, I will NOT fix your computer. And please, RTFM.

G

I've had an FIC AD11 since march and I so far, I can't complain.
It used to crash when playing q3 when ACPI (all IRQs were shared) was enabled so I disabled it and reinstalled windows 2000. Runs great now.

Get one of these if you know what you're doing because their web site is not as good as abit, asus...

G

I keep hearing about the stability of the msi k7 and how it is so good but I have not hared anything about the stability of the ad11 or the 7dx.. does this mean that it will crash more and if so how much more.. Is the ad11 not stable?? I don’t really understand what they mean by stability.. All the mobo reviews that I have read either say if the mobo is stable or not, but they don’t say why it is stable or not…

G

hopefully the correct answer is the ga-7dx, since it will be delivered to me sometime this week! btw, I looked into the 7dxr. I am trying to build a cross-breed performance vs budget machine. Not skimping on parts, just not getting extra bells and whistles that I have no real use for. I found the raid ability to be something I can add later as a card. The other major difference is 3 dimm sockets on the raid version versus 2 on the other. I ordered a single 256mb chip, and can easily add another to make 512mb later if I want. I cant see needing more than that before needing a new motherboard. Other than those two differences, the only other difference I could see in the specs was that the raid version has an agp PRO slot versus regular agp. From what I understand from what I read somewhere, the pro slot is for like industrial video cards for workhorse machines, even the newest gaming video cards dont need it. The pro has something to do with power supplied to the card, not the card abilities itself if I understood it correctly. Anyway, the price difference (cant remember how much exactly) was just not worth having 3 additional features that I would probably never use when. Besides, it helped get the total cost by the wife's approval and every dollar counts!