Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Main Quest Line

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 7:04:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Hey all,

After losing the Bonebiter Bow, I've started over, and doing fairly
well - but at the moment, I'm doing more exploring than worrying about
the main quest. I've still got around 90% of the map to uncover, and
with the main quest, all I've done is given Caius his package at the
start. My question is, are there any thing I *really* shouldn't do,
and/or any places I *really* shouldn't go, to avoid disturbing the
main quest? I've heard a lot of people say "I've gone here and done
this..." or "I've gone here and killed this person...", and as a
result, have messed up their game.

Any tips?

TIA,
user0

More about : main quest line

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 10:23:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

<user0> wrote in message
news:3glbj0llitk4st5ik01hha4h0lqcn3nk4h@4ax.com...
> Hey all,
>
> After losing the Bonebiter Bow, I've started over, and doing fairly
> well - but at the moment, I'm doing more exploring than worrying about
> the main quest. I've still got around 90% of the map to uncover, and
> with the main quest, all I've done is given Caius his package at the
> start. My question is, are there any thing I *really* shouldn't do,
> and/or any places I *really* shouldn't go, to avoid disturbing the
> main quest? I've heard a lot of people say "I've gone here and done
> this..." or "I've gone here and killed this person...", and as a
> result, have messed up their game.

Don't enter the Corprusarium under Tel Fyr and kill any of the monsters
there - EVEN IF THEY ATTACK YOU, which they will. In fact, if you enter
Tel Fyr, stay to the upper floors.

In fact, generally, don't start a fight against ANYONE who doesn't start
a fight against you, unless you've actually been sent to kill that
person in a quest (which might be any quest - Fighters, Mages, Thieves,
any of the Great Houses, Imperial Legion, Morag Tong, Imperial Cult, or
non-faction side-quest.) BUT, improve your Speechcraft at every
available opportunity. This is not so much to improve your standing in
another person's eyes - which you can do by means of Bribery rather than
Persuasion - as to be able to Taunt them successfully, and therefore
make THEM start a fight which you didn't want to start (e.g. if you are
sent on a quest to kill somebody in a public place and don't want their
friends, and possibly random innocent strangers in the bar, joining in:
just in case the random innocent strangers include someone you might
later want to talk to, either as part of the Main Quest or some
side-quest, whether faction-related or not.)

(In fact, in many cases, quests where you might be sent to kill, rob,
extort or intimidate somebody may actually have an alternative
resolution. In particular, Fighters' Guild quests given by Lorbumol
gro-Aglakh and Sjoring Hard-Heart in Vivec City may have alternative
resolutions if you consult Percius Mercius of Ald-ruhn, and House Hlaalu
quests given by the corrupt Odral Helvi of Caldera may have alternative
resolutions if you consult Crassius Curio of Vivec City.)

There is also one non-hostile NPC under there who, if you kill him, you
ruin even the "back" path to completing the Quest: as he is the only
person, other than Vivec the God himself, who can activate the Unique
Dwemer Artifact that allows you to wield the only weapons capable of
destroying the "thing" that you have to destroy to finish the Main
Quest, without being seriously (and possibly mortally) wounded by your
own weapons.

While there is actually no Main Quest penalty for angering, fighting and
killing the Ordinators of Vivec, *it is advisable not to* unless you
really, really like very hard fights. There is an early quest in which
you may have the option of receiving either Ordinator Helmet or Cuirass.
If you do this quest, and receive this reward, YOU WILL BE WARNED that
if you wish to wear these weapons you must do so exclusively OUTSIDE the
city of Vivec. They are not joking: if you are seen by ANY Ordinator
while wearing Ordinator armour or helmet INSIDE Vivec, then ALL of the
Ordinators - not just the one who saw you - will go hostile immediately.
Without exception. That's over 100 extra enemies that you don't have to
make.

Areas to avoid if you don't want to risk messsing up the Main Quest
before you are sent there are:

- Arkngthand, Hall of Centrifuge (Dwemer ruin, northeast of Fort
Moonmoth over the bridge). There's an item there that you need, and
don't want to sell before you know you need it.

- Andrano Ancestral Tomb (just off the path between Pelagiad and
Vivec). There's an item there that you need, and don't want to sell
before you know you need it.

- Ilunibi, Carcass of the Saint (cave, north and west of Gnaar Mok).
There's a monster here that you have to fight, and a disease to catch,
and you don't want to do either before the "correct" part of the Main
Quest in which you are sent here.

- The Corprusarium, Tel Fyr. NEVER fight anything there, even the stuff
that attacks you. You're faster than them, run away. If you talk to the
non-hostiles in the building of Tel Fyr, they will tell you this. The
master of the tower, Divayth Fyr, is one of the most vital NPCs in the
game as far as the proper path of the Main Quest is concerned, and he is
VERY protective of his patients even though they are totally insane. He
is also VERY protective of his servants and family - if you harm any of
them, you're hosed. So don't even *steal* anything until you're certain
you don't need him any more.

- No fighting in The Ald Skar Inn, Ald-ruhn. There's never a need to,
anyway, unless you're into motiveless murder (and what sort of behaviour
is that for a Hero?) Likewise, no fighting anything that doesn't start
off by fighting you unprovoked in Vivec City. There are people here that
you need to negotiate with.

- Urshilaku Burial Caverns (south of Urshilaku Camp), until you are
sent there. You already found that you need an item from here, that you
don't want to either sell or leave on a corpse that might disappear.

- ANY fighting against any Dunmer in any of the Four Great Ashlander
Camps, unless you have to do so as part of the Main Quest (which will
leave you with a couple of fights in the Erabenimsun Camp). You need
their support later on.

- No fighting in the headquarters of the nobles of the Great Houses,
unless it's killing the people that you HAVE to kill (i.e. that there is
no peaceful alternative to killing), and in the "right way", to rise to
the top of the House in question if you wish to do so before the
relevant part of the Main Quest. Don't even steal.
(Getting to the top of Hlaalu doesn't actually demand killing
anyone at all, although it is safe to kill off one member of the Council
and one person who is NOT a member of the Council but controls two of
them. Getting to the top of Redoran demands an honourable duel, killing
this person outside of the Vivec Arena will ruin your game. Getting to
the top of Telvanni is safer, there is only one Telvanni lord who has to
remain alive - Master Aryon of Tel Vos. However, there is only one that
HAS to be killed - Archmagister Gothren: all the others can be
negotiated with, most usually by bribery. In any case, you will have to
do all of the above during the Main Quest anyway to win the support of
ALL the remaining leaders of ALL the Great houses.)

- The Dwemer ruins of Odrosal, Endusal, Tureynulal, Vemynal, all inside
the Ghostfence. Two of these - unfortunately I forget which two -
contain artifacts you will need, and you don't want to get the artifact
and sell it before you know you need it. In fact, it's probably safest
to say "don't go inside the Ghostfence for anything you're not
specifically sent there by a quest to get".

- Don't start a fight in the Mages Guild headquarters in Balmora until
you've gotten an early quest from Caius Cosades out of the way, or the
Fighters Guild headquarters likewise.

- No matter how much you may hate slavery, don't fight and kill the
slave-trader Savile Imayn of Tel Aruhn until you've gotten past the
point in the game where you have to negotiate with her.

- Again: don't fight unless you are forced to, and you won't kill
anybody whose presence is necessary to complete the Main Quest.

Jonathan.
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 1:56:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

In article <3glbj0llitk4st5ik01hha4h0lqcn3nk4h@4ax.com>, user0 <> wrote:
> main quest? I've heard a lot of people say "I've gone here and done
> this..." or "I've gone here and killed this person...", and as a
> result, have messed up their game.

Don't murder people :-)

Seriously. If they don't attack you, don't attack them.

If you find any unusual or named items, store them somewhere.

Rick R.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 4:41:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

In article <3glbj0llitk4st5ik01hha4h0lqcn3nk4h@4ax.com>, user0 <>
says...
> Hey all,
>
> After losing the Bonebiter Bow, I've started over, and doing fairly
> well - but at the moment, I'm doing more exploring than worrying about
> the main quest. I've still got around 90% of the map to uncover, and
> with the main quest, all I've done is given Caius his package at the
> start. My question is, are there any thing I *really* shouldn't do,
> and/or any places I *really* shouldn't go, to avoid disturbing the
> main quest? I've heard a lot of people say "I've gone here and done
> this..." or "I've gone here and killed this person...", and as a
> result, have messed up their game.
>
> Any tips?
>
> TIA,
> user0

If you intend to have your character join House Redoran, *do not*
release any of the slaves at the ebony mine outside of Caldera. Doing so
will prevent you from completing a quest given your PC. It's not a game
killer, but it could screw up your PC's advancement within the House.

--
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
-Mark Twain
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 1:18:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Robert Oliver wrote:
>
> If you intend to have your character join House Redoran, *do not*
> release any of the slaves at the ebony mine outside of Caldera. Doing so
> will prevent you from completing a quest given your PC. It's not a game
> killer, but it could screw up your PC's advancement within the House.

Actually there is another way to complete that quest, IIRC
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 10:42:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:23:03 +0100, "Jonathan Ellis"
<jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Areas to avoid if you don't want to risk messsing up the Main Quest
>before you are sent there are:
>
> - Arkngthand, Hall of Centrifuge (Dwemer ruin, northeast of Fort
>Moonmoth over the bridge). There's an item there that you need, and
>don't want to sell before you know you need it.

You don't need to worry about that - it's impossible to pick it up
before you're given the quest for it.

--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 10:42:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:04:45 +0100, user0 <> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>After losing the Bonebiter Bow, I've started over, and doing fairly
>well - but at the moment, I'm doing more exploring than worrying about
>the main quest. I've still got around 90% of the map to uncover, and
>with the main quest, all I've done is given Caius his package at the
>start. My question is, are there any thing I *really* shouldn't do,
>and/or any places I *really* shouldn't go, to avoid disturbing the
>main quest? I've heard a lot of people say "I've gone here and done
>this..." or "I've gone here and killed this person...", and as a
>result, have messed up their game.
>
>Any tips?

In general, don't attack anyone who didn't attack you first, and keep
any item that has someone's name attached to it. Pretty much every item
that belongs to someone (X's helmet, Y's bow, etc) is used for some
quest, even if you don't know what it is yet.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 3:43:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

In article <4136E575.218A32EF@youbastids.com>, nomorespam@youbastids.com
says...
> Robert Oliver wrote:
> >
> > If you intend to have your character join House Redoran, *do not*
> > release any of the slaves at the ebony mine outside of Caldera. Doing so
> > will prevent you from completing a quest given your PC. It's not a game
> > killer, but it could screw up your PC's advancement within the House.
>
> Actually there is another way to complete that quest, IIRC

Two actually. One involves using the console and the other requires that
your PC kill two people that s/he would not otherwise have to. If you do
kill them you won't get any reward for having completed the quest, which
is an ebony helmet IIRC.
--
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
-Mark Twain
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 1:14:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Robert Oliver wrote:
>
> In article <4136E575.218A32EF@youbastids.com>, nomorespam@youbastids.com
> says...
> > Robert Oliver wrote:
> > >
> > > If you intend to have your character join House Redoran, *do not*
> > > release any of the slaves at the ebony mine outside of Caldera. Doing so
> > > will prevent you from completing a quest given your PC. It's not a game
> > > killer, but it could screw up your PC's advancement within the House.
> >
> > Actually there is another way to complete that quest, IIRC
>
> Two actually. One involves using the console and the other requires that
> your PC kill two people that s/he would not otherwise have to. If you do
> kill them you won't get any reward for having completed the quest, which
> is an ebony helmet IIRC.

Hadn't thought of the console, it was the killing method I meant. The
ebony helmet is for the Mad Lord of Milk quest, can't remember what you
get for the ebony mines job. Was it council support?
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 2:08:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:23:03 +0100, "Jonathan Ellis"
<jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>
><user0> wrote in message
>news:3glbj0llitk4st5ik01hha4h0lqcn3nk4h@4ax.com...
>> Hey all,
>>
>> After losing the Bonebiter Bow, I've started over, and doing fairly
>> well - but at the moment, I'm doing more exploring than worrying about
>> the main quest. I've still got around 90% of the map to uncover, and
>> with the main quest, all I've done is given Caius his package at the
>> start. My question is, are there any thing I *really* shouldn't do,
>> and/or any places I *really* shouldn't go, to avoid disturbing the
>> main quest? I've heard a lot of people say "I've gone here and done
>> this..." or "I've gone here and killed this person...", and as a
>> result, have messed up their game.
>
>Don't enter the Corprusarium under Tel Fyr and kill any of the monsters
>there - EVEN IF THEY ATTACK YOU, which they will. In fact, if you enter
>Tel Fyr, stay to the upper floors.

<snip>

Wow - pretty informative stuff. I'll print this off for future
reference. Thanks all...

user0
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 4:11:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

In article <41383612.7CD8D4FF@youbastids.com>, nomorespam@youbastids.com
says...
> Robert Oliver wrote:

> > Two actually. One involves using the console and the other requires that
> > your PC kill two people that s/he would not otherwise have to. If you do
> > kill them you won't get any reward for having completed the quest, which
> > is an ebony helmet IIRC.
>
> Hadn't thought of the console, it was the killing method I meant. The
> ebony helmet is for the Mad Lord of Milk quest, can't remember what you
> get for the ebony mines job. Was it council support?

You're right, it wasn't an ebony helmet. I have trouble keeping track of
who gave my PC what and when. IIRC it was both a set of ebony boots and
council as well.

I had already screwed up the quest and found the console fix in the
forums at Elderscrolls.com. For future reference it's:

journal HR_calderacorrupt 100

--
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
-Mark Twain
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 3:51:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 00:11:41 GMT, Robert Oliver <rboliver@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>In article <41383612.7CD8D4FF@youbastids.com>, nomorespam@youbastids.com
>says...

>> Hadn't thought of the console, it was the killing method I meant. The
>> ebony helmet is for the Mad Lord of Milk quest, can't remember what you
>> get for the ebony mines job. Was it council support?
>
>You're right, it wasn't an ebony helmet. I have trouble keeping track of
>who gave my PC what and when. IIRC it was both a set of ebony boots and
>council as well.

The ebony helmet is for rescuing the daughter from Tel Fyr, and is given
to you by the Mad Lord's father in Ebonheart. So it's part of the Milk
quest, if you're doing it the 'good' way, though it's not the official
reward.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.
September 4, 2004 5:01:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

"Greg Johnson" <greg.gsj@gmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
news:6o7ij05ouuco92b7p6du3i33m3ptie1e26@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 00:11:41 GMT, Robert Oliver <rboliver@ix.netcom.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <41383612.7CD8D4FF@youbastids.com>,
nomorespam@youbastids.com
> >says...
>
> >> Hadn't thought of the console, it was the killing method I meant. The
> >> ebony helmet is for the Mad Lord of Milk quest, can't remember what
you
> >> get for the ebony mines job. Was it council support?
> >
> >You're right, it wasn't an ebony helmet. I have trouble keeping track
of
> >who gave my PC what and when. IIRC it was both a set of ebony boots and
> >council as well.
>
> The ebony helmet is for rescuing the daughter from Tel Fyr, and is given
> to you by the Mad Lord's father in Ebonheart. So it's part of the Milk
> quest, if you're doing it the 'good' way, though it's not the official
> reward.
> --
> Greg Johnson
> Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.


There is a post at the ESDB at www.lowgenius.com, that has
a near complete list of the console commands of this type, the ones
you seldom see, except in the forums

merlin
September 17, 2004 1:16:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

"Greg Johnson" <gsj@labyrinth.net.au> skrev i en meddelelse
news:q1kdj0d6oh7lab2538jkp5fevm7gd0jel4@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:23:03 +0100, "Jonathan Ellis"
> <jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Areas to avoid if you don't want to risk messsing up the Main Quest
> >before you are sent there are:
> >
> > - Arkngthand, Hall of Centrifuge (Dwemer ruin, northeast of Fort
> >Moonmoth over the bridge). There's an item there that you need, and
> >don't want to sell before you know you need it.
>
> You don't need to worry about that - it's impossible to pick it up
> before you're given the quest for it.
>
> --
> Greg Johnson
> Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Some of the needed items, don't even exists in the game world
until you get the quest. Your acceptance of the quest spawns them

Others can be made 'un-pickable' by a script command until the
proper moment, if they are critically needed.

merlin
!