jonnyshatter

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Specs:
ASUS p55de pro
i5 750 2.66 Stock Clock Speed
Radeon 5850
12GB ddr3 1600

I am experiencing crappy fps maxing out games when i turn on AA and dx11 tessalation and stuff.
What would be my best solution/upgrade

2nd GPU crossfired
OC CPU
Better GPU
OTHER

Leaving this in the hands of the experts...

Thanks,
Jon

wooodoggies

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
you could easily OC the cpu, a better cooler is highly recommended before ANY oc'ing is attempted
the gpu argument would take longer, you could sell the 5850 and buy a better card with what you would spend on a second 5850, but on the other hand i think cf'd 5850's is also a good option, but PSU must be taken into account probably in either case. budget is pretty critical here.

edit: also resolution is needed

DX11 plus tessellation will kill your fps with a single 5850, depending on resolution of course. Turn tessellation off at least; visually it makes very little difference and the Radeon 5xxx series are not suitable for running it anyway.

Gandroid

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
IMO I'd say go for a better graphics card. I'm upgrading from dual 5770s to an HD6950 2GB. The 5000 series is quickly becoming outdated, so CF might not be the most economical choice. Not to mention that CF can be a pretty big power drain if you don't have an ample PSU. With an i5 the CPU probably isn't the issue, but with an aftermarket cooler some OCing couldn't hurt.

Also, really pay attention to how each "advanced" graphic setting effects the visuals. There are certain things, like shadow detail for example, that aren't that noticable but will put a huge drain on your GPU if you have them cranked up.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
It's your graphics card. the AMD 5000 series is very poor at DX11 tessalation. Turn it off if you want better performance, or upgrade. I would sell your current card and get a 6950 or a GTX 570 at least if you really want to play with DX11 tessalation turned on. Overclocking your CPU would be a good idea, but it's not going to help you in this situation.

Another gpu crossfired would be the most cost effective option if your PSU is up to powering it. Its not a cpu issue as it only happens when you turn up the details. Also make sure you have latest drivers etc. What FPS are you getting and what FPS do you want to achieve? also what particular games are running crappy?

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
If you don't oc the cpu you're in for a nice little bottleneck.That's from someone with a really similar setup to yours.Going from 2.6ghz to 3.8ghz makes a hell of a difference in most games,rendering games like Arma 2,Crysis and Metro 2033 from unplayable maxed out due to single digit minimum fps to easily playable with minimum fps of 20 and 25.
Also even if you get a 6950 it will also be bottlenecked by a stock i5,so start from overclocking your cpu.