Verizon cannot SMS France?!

Last response: in Network Providers
November 4, 2004 8:09:54 PM

I am shocked to discover that with my Verizon account, I cannot SMS a
mobile user in France. Germany, Egypt....Afghanistan, yes. But not
France!

I do know however you can email phones, for example, with verizon it
is ###-###-####@vtext.com

The person I am trying to SMS is in France is an ORANGE user. Does
anyone know the standard for emailing to that network?

Say her number is country code 33 6805777999. would I email
336805777999@orange.net for example or what? thank you very much in
advance for your prompt reply.

More about : verizon sms france

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 10:29:56 PM

They chose not to join the coalition and this is one of their many, many
punishments.

"Jason Zolghadr" <jzolghadr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am shocked to discover that with my Verizon account, I cannot SMS a
> mobile user in France. Germany, Egypt....Afghanistan, yes. But not
> France!
>
> I do know however you can email phones, for example, with verizon it
> is ###-###-####@vtext.com
>
> The person I am trying to SMS is in France is an ORANGE user. Does
> anyone know the standard for emailing to that network?
>
> Say her number is country code 33 6805777999. would I email
> 336805777999@orange.net for example or what? thank you very much in
> advance for your prompt reply.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 6:53:31 AM

"Jason Zolghadr" <jzolghadr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am shocked to discover that with my Verizon account, I cannot SMS a
> mobile user in France. Germany, Egypt....Afghanistan, yes. But not
> France!

Due to the fact that the French are so rude, Verizon's equipment refuses to
have anything to do with them.
November 5, 2004 9:57:09 AM

> Due to the fact that the French are so rude, Verizon's equipment refuses to
> have anything to do with them.

Amusing as this may be, it still does not help my situation. Anyone
have a fix for this inconvenience? Thanks

-Jason Z
November 5, 2004 10:17:38 AM

On 4 Nov 2004 17:09:54 -0800, jzolghadr@yahoo.com (Jason Zolghadr)
wrote:

>I am shocked to discover that with my Verizon account, I cannot SMS a
>mobile user in France. Germany, Egypt....Afghanistan, yes. But not
>France!
>
>I do know however you can email phones, for example, with verizon it
>is ###-###-####@vtext.com
>
>The person I am trying to SMS is in France is an ORANGE user. Does
>anyone know the standard for emailing to that network?
>
>Say her number is country code 33 6805777999. would I email
>336805777999@orange.net for example or what? thank you very much in
>advance for your prompt reply.

Generally European mobiles do not have email addresses as most do in
North America. Is messaging broken in both directions or just
outbound or inbound? It may be that the Orange subscriber cannot send
messages to you because the Orange system does not know that your area
code/number is a mobile exchange.

November 5, 2004 11:40:42 AM

"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" <Fafoofnik@mensa.com> wrote in message

> "Jason Zolghadr" <jzolghadr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I am shocked to discover that with my Verizon account, I cannot SMS a
> > mobile user in France. Germany, Egypt....Afghanistan, yes. But not
> > France!
>
> Due to the fact that the French are so rude, Verizon's equipment refuses
> have anything to do with them.

Having once worked for a French owned company (wasn't my choice, they bought
it while I was there) and doing business with French people I can't disagree
with you.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 7:12:09 PM

>> Due to the fact that the French are so rude, Verizon's equipment refuses
>> have anything to do with them.
>
> Amusing as this may be, it still does not help my situation. Anyone
> have a fix for this inconvenience? Thanks
>
> -Jason Z

If the French user has the VodaPhone or O2 service or the T-Mobile (Europe)
then the sms message would be like 0144(ten digit cell number) would not
really matter if the country code for France was different. Verizon states
you can text to the above service providers.

Now if its France Telecom or another provider have them get into a partner
agreement with Verizon. Simple huh? If the French service is too damn cheap
to have such an agreement then its your friends problem and not yours.

Elector
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 7:12:10 PM

> Now if its France Telecom or another provider have them get into a partner
> agreement with Verizon. Simple huh? If the French service is too damn cheap
> to have such an agreement then its your friends problem and not yours.

Bilateral agreements are... welll, bilateral. You could equally say
that Verizon is too 'damn cheap' to not have an agreement with Verizon.

Josh
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 7:12:11 PM

Josh Steinhurst wrote:
>> Now if its France Telecom or another provider have them get into a
>> partner agreement with Verizon. Simple huh? If the French service is
>> too damn cheap to have such an agreement then its your friends problem
>> and not yours.
>

> Bilateral agreements are... welll, bilateral. You could equally say
> that Verizon is too 'damn cheap' to not have an agreement with Verizon.
>
> Josh

Sigh... I meant: Bilateral agreements are... well, bilateral. You could
equally say that Verizon is too 'damn cheap' to not have an agreement
with the French company.

Josh
November 5, 2004 8:52:28 PM

Who cares about the French......

--
All Email Scanned and declared
Virus Free by Norton Systems 2005

material. Any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
action in
intended
recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the
sender and
delete the material from any computer.
"Jason Zolghadr" <jzolghadr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am shocked to discover that with my Verizon account, I cannot SMS a
> mobile user in France. Germany, Egypt....Afghanistan, yes. But not
> France!
>
> I do know however you can email phones, for example, with verizon it
> is ###-###-####@vtext.com
>
> The person I am trying to SMS is in France is an ORANGE user. Does
> anyone know the standard for emailing to that network?
>
> Say her number is country code 33 6805777999. would I email
> 336805777999@orange.net for example or what? thank you very much in
> advance for your prompt reply.
November 5, 2004 9:49:43 PM

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:52:28 GMT, "HotRod" <hotrod@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Who cares about the French......

Why be an ass? The guy asked a legitimate question. If you don't
have a real answer why not STFU?

November 6, 2004 6:14:59 AM

You take things so seriously. Lighten up, unless you're in France...

--

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:52:28 GMT, "HotRod" <hotrod@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Who cares about the French......
>
> Why be an ass? The guy asked a legitimate question. If you don't
> have a real answer why not STFU?

November 6, 2004 11:06:15 AM

Jason Zolghadr wrote:
> I am shocked to discover that with my Verizon account, I cannot SMS a
> mobile user in France. Germany, Egypt....Afghanistan, yes. But not
> France!

Newbie question related to this (sorry, I don't have an answer)

SMS = text message right?

Does it cost extra to send a text message to someone in Germany
or to receive one from there compared to sending/receiving tms
in the US?

How would I send a tm to a friend in Germany? Does it vary
from company to company over there, or do I just need a
phone number in a specific format?? (sorry, I realize these
must be basic questions).

Thanks!

Esmail
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 5:10:27 PM

"Esmail Bonakdarian" <ebonakDUH@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jason Zolghadr wrote:
>> I am shocked to discover that with my Verizon account, I cannot SMS
>> mobile user in France. Germany, Egypt....Afghanistan, yes. But not
>> France!
>
> Newbie question related to this (sorry, I don't have an answer)
>
> SMS = text message right?
>
> Does it cost extra to send a text message to someone in Germany
> or to receive one from there compared to sending/receiving tms
> in the US?
>
> How would I send a tm to a friend in Germany? Does it vary
> from company to company over there, or do I just need a
> phone number in a specific format?? (sorry, I realize these
> must be basic questions).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Esmail

go to http://www.vtext.com and sign up to use the web based service
and it does not cost anything to sms=text messages when in the USA and
Canada. However you will have to send to the International Text
Mobiles via the cell phone. Look under the International tab for the
countries and service providers that have partnered with Verizon
Wireless. At present it is 25¢ to send from your mobile to an
international mobile number. and 2¢ to receive from that other mobile
carriers customers. However the friend in Germany may have to pay more
to send back to you since my friend in the UK SMS me all the time so
it cost him 24p (Pence) to send and nothing to receive from me. I
still pay 25¢ & 2¢ to reply back and receive the answer. Prices may
rise or fall within Verizons corporate structure, but I would not hope
for a reduced cost.

If you text allot you can buy a bundle package from Verizon but no
international packages are available as far as I can tell.

Elector
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 5:10:28 PM

Hello!

Elector wrote:

> "Esmail Bonakdarian" <ebonakDUH@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> How would I send a tm to a friend in Germany? Does it vary from
>> company to company over there, or do I just need a phone number
>> in a specific format?? (sorry, I realize these must be basic
>> questions).

I actually just called 611 to find out more ...

> go to http://www.vtext.com and sign up to use the web based service
> and it does not cost anything to sms=text messages when in the USA
> and Canada. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cool. So does that mean that if I use the website to send a tm to
a friend in the US it doesn't get counted against my tm package?
(I currently pay about $5 for 250 messages). I'm asking because
I seem to keep running up against my 250 limit.

> However you will have to send to the International Text Mobiles via
> the cell phone. Look under the International tab for the countries
> and service providers that have partnered with Verizon Wireless. At
> present it is 25¢ to send from your mobile to an international
> mobile number. and 2¢ to receive from that other mobile carriers
> customers.

It's always 2cent right, even if I get a tm from another verizon
phone?

> However the friend in Germany may have to pay more to
> send back to you since my friend in the UK SMS me all the time so
> it cost him 24p (Pence) to send and nothing to receive from me. I
> still pay 25¢ & 2¢ to reply back and receive the answer. Prices may
> rise or fall within Verizons corporate structure, but I would not
> hope for a reduced cost.
>
> If you text allot you can buy a bundle package from Verizon but no
> international packages are available as far as I can tell.

Thanks again, you are very helpful.

Esmail
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 5:10:28 PM

Elector wrote:

> go to http://www.vtext.com and sign up to use the web based service
> and it does not cost anything to sms=text messages when in the USA and
> Canada.

Hi again,

I just tried to send a tm via the web interface to a friend with
service on a sprint phone, and it doesn't seem to work. (I get a
Network Denied status message on the web page after it's sent. I
was able to send myself (ie another verizon customer) a message, so it
looks
like vtext.com (non-internationally at least) seems to be limited
to other Verizon customers. (Thisis what I seem to get from their FAQ
too unless I'm reading this incorrectly).

Esmail
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 5:17:28 PM

"Josh Steinhurst" <j.news@SPAM.steinhurst.net> wrote in message
> Josh Steinhurst wrote:
>>> Now if its France Telecom or another provider have them get into a
>>> partner agreement with Verizon. Simple huh? If the French service
>>> is too damn cheap to have such an agreement then its your friends
>>> problem and not yours.
>>

>> Bilateral agreements are... welll, bilateral. You could equally
>> say that Verizon is too 'damn cheap' to not have an agreement with
>> Verizon.
>>
>> Josh
>
> Sigh... I meant: Bilateral agreements are... well, bilateral. You
> could equally say that Verizon is too 'damn cheap' to not have an
> agreement with the French company.
>
> Josh

Yep I knew what you meant :-)

Unfortunately any partnered agreement is just that, an agreement and
many times the terms may favor the larger company. Since I have no
idea as to what types of cellular phone service are available in
France, I could not say if the terms would be agreeable to Verizon to
offer such a partnership and then the French service would have to
have the technology to offer the reciprocal service to the Verizon and
other partners in the sms groups.

Question of costs associated in collection of fees and prices come to
mind, exchange rates etc. many factors.
My saying that your friend could have a service already covered such
as O2 and Vodaphone or T-Mobile (Europe) would give the French
customer the ability to send sms messages.

Did you know that in the European Nations text messages are at 90% use
on a daily basis? But in the USA and Canada only about 10-20% use the
service on any type of basis.

Also with the O2 cellular service they offer a real email address such
as xxxxx@o2.co.uk which can be delivered to your cellular telephone?

Elector
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 8:55:30 PM

> Elector wrote:
>
>> go to http://www.vtext.com and sign up to use the web based service
>> and it does not cost anything to sms=text messages when in the USA
>> and Canada.
>
> Hi again,
>
> I just tried to send a tm via the web interface to a friend with
> service on a sprint phone, and it doesn't seem to work. (I get a
> Network Denied status message on the web page after it's sent. I
> was able to send myself (ie another verizon customer) a message, so
> it
> looks
> like vtext.com (non-internationally at least) seems to be limited
> to other Verizon customers. (Thisis what I seem to get from their
> too unless I'm reading this incorrectly).
>
> Esmail

You can text any carriers customers that you have the correct cell
number or alias for. My friends at work have Cingular and I send to
them all the time, verizon yes no problem unless they placed a block
on their lines as to not have the text message service.

You have to check the Vtext web site to see who you can text to. Also
Canadian cell owners can be texted from Verizon to Bell Mobility and a
few other carriers that operate in Canada with no problem. However you
have to dial the full 10 digit number (514000000@bell.ca) etc.

Hope that helped?

Elector
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 10:11:00 AM

I had bad luck messaging to a friend using Orange in Thailand. Never
could get it to go. Have no problem with the other networks in
Thailand.

!