Abit Bh6 Prob

eforonda

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
I have the Abit bh6 revision 1.1 board and was running a Celeron 300A on this board for a while now that the prices of Pentium II came down I finally bought a 700Mhz Pentium II slot 1. So I upgraded the bios to the most recent one out, thinking this would be able to support the 700Mhz chip, and installed the chip. Unforutnaly the bios I used didn't recognize the Pentium II chip and so I went back and flashed the bios to the BH32_PM.BIN. It recognized it at first with no problem. But now I have a problem when I first start up the computer the computer does not start up then shuts itself off. It does this a couple of times but then after about the second try it boots up normally. Did I mess up my board when I installed the first bios I would think not since the computer does eventually turn on?? If not what do I do to fix this problem?
Thanks in Advance,
Eric.

eforonda

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Sorry about that yes I do mean Pentium III. I will try that today to see what happens when I stick the Celeron back into the board. One other thing is it normal for the PIII 700Mhz post as a 700E. I wouldn't know becuase of the amount of experience with my Abit BH6.
Thanks in Advance,
Eric.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
E == Coppermine. I don't believe they ever made non-E (Katmai) versions of the 700. Therefore E would be correct (even though the packaging may not indicate E especially if it's SECC2)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

well, version 1.1 should come with native support for the PIII 700e. flashing the BIOS may have set the voltage to the wrong setting for the PIII. that would be one explanation for the problem booting. when it POSTs check that the voltage is on auto, or manually set it to the proper voltage.

ignore everything i say