Wher can I find a decent chopper...?

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

I started a new game recently, and wanted to focus on a warmage char.
I wanted to focus on all magic, with one good weapon, so took axe,
which is working out well, because if I don't bother with a shield,
and take a two-handed chopper (up to 36 damage), with my axe skill at
50, I can take out most enemies with one blow, or at most three or
four. I'm wondering whether I made the right choice though, because
most decent enchanted weapons that have a good cast-when-strikes
feature all seem to be short and long blades. Where can I find a good
two-handed axe that deals extra fire/shock/etc damage, or some other
extra damage when I strike? Incodentally, I'm not far through the main
quest - almost at the bit where I go to Urshilaku camp - so I don't
want to jump ahead and find something that may interfere with the main
quest.

TIA,
user0

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:51:43 +0100, user0 <> wrote:

>I started a new game recently, and wanted to focus on a warmage char.
>I wanted to focus on all magic, with one good weapon, so took axe,
>which is working out well, because if I don't bother with a shield,
>and take a two-handed chopper (up to 36 damage), with my axe skill at
>50, I can take out most enemies with one blow, or at most three or
>four. I'm wondering whether I made the right choice though, because
>most decent enchanted weapons that have a good cast-when-strikes
>feature all seem to be short and long blades. Where can I find a good
>two-handed axe that deals extra fire/shock/etc damage, or some other
>extra damage when I strike? Incodentally, I'm not far through the main
>quest - almost at the bit where I go to Urshilaku camp - so I don't
>want to jump ahead and find something that may interfere with the main
>quest.

There are only four types of battle axe in the game: iron, steel,
Dwarven and Daedric. I don't remember seeing a Dwarven or Daedric one
anywhere, but the loot in the ruins is mostly random, so you might
find one where I didn't. I think your best bet is to hunt through the
Dwarven and Daedric ruins looking for a battle axe and have someone
enchant it for you. I like Grand Soul Gems with a Winged Twilight for
cast-on-strike spells, but a Greater Soul Gem with an Ogrim is good,
too.
--
Nyctolops

<user0> wrote:
> Where can I find a good two-handed axe that deals extra fire/shock/etc
> damage, or some other extra damage when I strike? Incodentally, I'm
> not far through the main quest - almost at the bit where I go to Urshilaku
> camp - so I don't want to jump ahead and find something that may
> interfere with the main quest.

There are two-handed axes called "Last Rites", which are Dwemer Battle Axes
with fire damage added on. I think you need to reach a certain level before
you'll see them, but once you reach it, they become quite common in chests
and crates and on dead enemies. I just looked in the editor, and it looks
like Level 16 is when you'll start to find "Last Rites". This is about as
good as it gets for pre-enchanted battle axes. If you don't mind enchanting
it yourself (or having it enchanted), Daedric Battle Axes are the most
intrinsically powerful two-handed axes. They weigh a *ton*, though; they
will appear randomly on Dremora corpses once you hit Level 17.

--
Rick Cavalla
rac22@NO.erols.SPAM.com

user0 <> wrote:

>I started a new game recently, and wanted to focus on a warmage char.
>I wanted to focus on all magic, with one good weapon, so took axe,
>which is working out well, because if I don't bother with a shield,
>and take a two-handed chopper (up to 36 damage), with my axe skill at
>50, I can take out most enemies with one blow, or at most three or
>four. I'm wondering whether I made the right choice though, because
>most decent enchanted weapons that have a good cast-when-strikes
>feature all seem to be short and long blades. Where can I find a good
>two-handed axe that deals extra fire/shock/etc damage, or some other
>extra damage when I strike? Incodentally, I'm not far through the main
>quest - almost at the bit where I go to Urshilaku camp - so I don't
>want to jump ahead and find something that may interfere with the main
>quest.

The smith who's shop is under the walkway in balmora, has Pneuma-trap"
hidden in his closet. (dwemer/soultrap) Doesn't do extra enchanted
damage, but soultrap is an advantage against daedra. It's locked with
a 100pt lock though, and there's a guard very nearby.

You can acquire Cloud Cleaver (unethically) by assisting the nekid nord.
(on a path outside caldera, iirc)

Last Rights is pretty common in the outer dwemer ruins. (the further
away from a town, the better the random equipment seems to be. though
I could just be imagining that.)

There's a daedric battle axe in Ibar Dad. South west of the Urshilaku
Camp. It weighs in at 90lbs though. (other cool daedric items in there
as well)

The wildest one is the Wings of the Queen of Bats. (blade looks sort of
like the batman logo.) I've never been able to find it in the game though.
It apparently only appears as part of a quest (like Azura's Star) that
I've yet to stumble upon. (Anyone know who/how/where???)

You can get it through the console with

player->additem "axe_queen_of_bats_unique" 1

user0 <> writes:

> because if I don't bother with a shield,
> and take a two-handed chopper (up to 36 damage), with my axe skill at
> 50, I can take out most enemies with one blow, or at most three or
> four.

36 damage is wimpy. You need to get yourself a nice Daedric two
handed axe (1-80 damage?). I never even bothered to enchant mine,
it seemed completely unnecessary.

The only drawback to axes though is that few guilds or houses
allow axe skills to help with advancement (ie, I had to beef up
my sword skills to advance in House Redoran).

--
Darin Johnson
"Look here. There's a crop circle in my ficus!" -- The Tick

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, :phant wrote:

> You can acquire Cloud Cleaver (unethically) by assisting the nekid nord.
> (on a path outside caldera, iirc)

Hmm, I messed this quest up by saying the wrong thing so it appears
blocked. Any way of rescuing the quest once you turn him down?

I don't seem to be able to find any vendors who can afford to buy such
things as glass boots and ebony maces (which I have looted along the way).
OK Im mainly staying in Balmora as a base of ops.....would Vivec be a
better choice for rich merchants?

Tim
--
When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
ICQ: 5178568

Tim Fitzmaurice <tjf11@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, :phant wrote:
>
>> You can acquire Cloud Cleaver (unethically) by assisting the nekid nord.
>> (on a path outside caldera, iirc)
>
>Hmm, I messed this quest up by saying the wrong thing so it appears
>blocked. Any way of rescuing the quest once you turn him down?

It's just as well, you didn't get to keep the axe following the
quest anyway. That's why I said unethically :)

Just look around there. Somewhere in the same area, is the "festering
witch" who took his belongings, including Cloud Cleaver. Simply take
it from her.

Watch out if you're a low level character. She's a fairly competent
mage, and she also carries an enchanted spear.

>I don't seem to be able to find any vendors who can afford to buy such
>things as glass boots and ebony maces (which I have looted along the way).
>OK Im mainly staying in Balmora as a base of ops.....would Vivec be a
>better choice for rich merchants?

There's a couple of creature buyers, but even they can't afford the
really high end merchandise.

One is a skamp by the name of Creeper in Caldera, who has 5000g a
day. The other is a drunken mudcrab near Vivec, who has 10,000g a
day.

Creeper's easy to spot because he's inside a house, but mudcrab is
just another mudcrab on a tiny island. You may have to try talking
to several annoyed crabs to find the one with a brain.

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, :phant wrote:

> Tim Fitzmaurice <tjf11@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, :phant wrote:
> >
> >> You can acquire Cloud Cleaver (unethically) by assisting the nekid nord.
> >> (on a path outside caldera, iirc)
> >
> >Hmm, I messed this quest up by saying the wrong thing so it appears
> >blocked. Any way of rescuing the quest once you turn him down?
> >

> It's just as well, you didn't get to keep the axe following the
> quest anyway. That's why I said unethically :)

Ethics??? What be they?

> Just look around there. Somewhere in the same area, is the "festering
> witch" who took his belongings, including Cloud Cleaver. Simply take
> it from her.

Ahah....

> Watch out if you're a low level character. She's a fairly competent
> mage, and she also carries an enchanted spear.

Hmmmmmmmmmm......

> There's a couple of creature buyers, but even they can't afford the
> really high end merchandise.
>
> One is a skamp by the name of Creeper in Caldera, who has 5000g a
> day. The other is a drunken mudcrab near Vivec, who has 10,000g a
> day.
>
> Creeper's easy to spot because he's inside a house, but mudcrab is
> just another mudcrab on a tiny island. You may have to try talking
> to several annoyed crabs to find the one with a brain.

I'll try and find them :)

Thanks
Tim
--
When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
ICQ: 5178568

dre

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Rick Cavalla" <rac22@erols.com> wrote in message
> <user0> wrote:
> > Where can I find a good two-handed axe that deals extra fire/shock/etc
> > damage, or some other extra damage when I strike? Incodentally, I'm
> > not far through the main quest - almost at the bit where I go to
Urshilaku
> > camp - so I don't want to jump ahead and find something that may
> > interfere with the main quest.
>
> There are two-handed axes called "Last Rites", which are Dwemer Battle
Axes
> with fire damage added on. I think you need to reach a certain level
before
> you'll see them, but once you reach it, they become quite common in chests
> and crates and on dead enemies. I just looked in the editor, and it looks
> like Level 16 is when you'll start to find "Last Rites". This is about as
> good as it gets for pre-enchanted battle axes. If you don't mind
enchanting
> it yourself (or having it enchanted), Daedric Battle Axes are the most
> intrinsically powerful two-handed axes. They weigh a *ton*, though; they
> will appear randomly on Dremora corpses once you hit Level 17.

So your telling me (my char is only level 15 atm) that I will start to see
new and or different items/weapons as I level up higher????

Man, everytime I play this game or read something about it I find something
new! Awesome!

Cheers Dre

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:16:16 -0400, "Rick Cavalla" <rac22@erols.com>
wrote:

>There are two-handed axes called "Last Rites", which are Dwemer Battle Axes
>with fire damage added on. I think you need to reach a certain level before
>you'll see them, but once you reach it, they become quite common in chests
>and crates and on dead enemies. I just looked in the editor, and it looks
>like Level 16 is when you'll start to find "Last Rites". This is about as
>good as it gets for pre-enchanted battle axes. If you don't mind enchanting
>it yourself (or having it enchanted), Daedric Battle Axes are the most
>intrinsically powerful two-handed axes. They weigh a *ton*, though; they
>will appear randomly on Dremora corpses once you hit Level 17.

I've found someone in the Mages guild selling one of these as an
enchanted item - it was only 800 gold, too - and it seems to wipe
everything out in a blow, or two.

I liked the fact that wiith long swords, there were almost hundreds of
variations - axes seem a bit less varied - which is a pity. I'll maybe
try to enchant one.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:58:09 +0100, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) Tim Fitzmaurice <tjf11@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, :phant wrote:
>
>> Tim Fitzmaurice <tjf11@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> There's a couple of creature buyers, but even they can't afford the
>> really high end merchandise.
>>
>> One is a skamp by the name of Creeper in Caldera, who has 5000g a
>> day. The other is a drunken mudcrab near Vivec, who has 10,000g a
>> day.
>>
>> Creeper's easy to spot because he's inside a house, but mudcrab is
>> just another mudcrab on a tiny island. You may have to try talking
>> to several annoyed crabs to find the one with a brain.

There are several mods that boost Creepers gold per day to anywhere from
50,000 to 1,000,000 which means that you'll be able to sell all your
valuable stuff and have enough gold for whatever you need.

>I'll try and find them :)
>
>Thanks
>Tim

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:40:02 GMT, FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote:

>>> Creeper's easy to spot because he's inside a house, but mudcrab is
>>> just another mudcrab on a tiny island. You may have to try talking
>>> to several annoyed crabs to find the one with a brain.
>
>There are several mods that boost Creepers gold per day to anywhere from
>50,000 to 1,000,000 which means that you'll be able to sell all your
>valuable stuff and have enough gold for whatever you need.

The method of doing this has been discussed in detail here so Google
away and you'll find it readily enough.

That's pretty much what I did though I pile my Daedric and Ebony stuff
in two separate piles over in the corner behind Creeper near the bunk.

Malcolm

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

There is an Ebony Axe in the Hlallu (sp) weaponsmith shop in the Hlallu
Canton at Vivec. You'll have to steal it though ;)

I used this for quite a while until I acquired a better Daedric Axe.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

"FTA" wrote
> Later in the game, I also buy back character made potions and
> other cheap stuff from Creeper and dump them on any newly
> dead creature to remove them from the game and help reduce
> Creeper's inventory.

I think you can just drop what you don't want on the ground, go to the
console, click on the items you just dropped, and type "disable". This
seems to get rid of the items. At least, they disappear. Whether they are
secretly still there and can be re-enabled, I have no idea. But if you
don't feel like lugging stuff around, looking for corpses to drop it all
into...

Hmm ... something just occurred to me ... I wonder what would happen if I
typed: "player->disable"!?

--
Rick Cavalla
rac22@NO.erols.SPAM.com
"Beyond me, night is total / And through the colonnades I walk..."

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:58:43 -0400, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Rick Cavalla" <rac22@erols.com> wrote:

>"FTA" wrote
>> Later in the game, I also buy back character made potions and
>> other cheap stuff from Creeper and dump them on any newly
>> dead creature to remove them from the game and help reduce
>> Creeper's inventory.
>
>I think you can just drop what you don't want on the ground, go to the
>console, click on the items you just dropped, and type "disable". This
>seems to get rid of the items. At least, they disappear. Whether they are
>secretly still there and can be re-enabled, I have no idea. But if you
>don't feel like lugging stuff around, looking for corpses to drop it all
>into...

In interesting idea! ^_^ But I figure better safe than sorry, besides
there are always one or more critters wondering around near the tomb on
the east side of Caldera (near Creepers house) so I almost never need to
lug any worthless junk far to get rid of it. BTW, It's also fun to have
creatures chase my characters into Caldera and watch the guards rush to
kill them. ;)

>Hmm ... something just occurred to me ... I wonder what would happen if I
>typed: "player->disable"!?

<LOL>

FTA <FTA@fake.email> writes:

> Then I guess you're doomed to do what I did in my pre-mod days, which is
> to sell Creeper a bunch of items for 5,000 gold or less per day, and buy
> them back when you sell him something expensive later on!

A variant I did was to sell him things at a loss early on, but this
resulted in him having lots of stuff to make change with later on.
I particulary preferred items whose cost was a multiple of 5000.

If there aren't any time related quests, you can just sleep over
and over so that his gold resets. But at some point I just didn't
need the money that bad and sold my 1,000,000 items for 5000 and
let it go at that. Even later it wasn't even worth the effort to
make a side trip to Caldera.

--
Darin Johnson
I'm not a well adjusted person, but I play one on the net.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:36:05 GMT, Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net>
wrote:

>If there aren't any time related quests, you can just sleep over
>and over so that his gold resets. But at some point I just didn't
>need the money that bad and sold my 1,000,000 items for 5000 and
>let it go at that. Even later it wasn't even worth the effort to
>make a side trip to Caldera.

Besides Creeper you have a decent clothing store and a guild guide.
The blades lady is interesting as well.

These days I usually work on upping by alteration (?) skill by
levitating from Creeper's to Whitehaven in Balmora - I seldom go to
Balmora without going to Caldera and vice versa....of course with my
present character (now lvl 26) I've now won the main question plus
Tribunal so it's off to a certain island in the north... the bunk
space behind Creeper is actually a pretty good place to drop off stuff
you don't plan on carrying - I've got one mat for ebony, one for
Daedric, one for glass...

MERLIN

<user0> skrev i en meddelelse
> I started a new game recently, and wanted to focus on a warmage char.
> I wanted to focus on all magic, with one good weapon, so took axe,
> which is working out well, because if I don't bother with a shield,
> and take a two-handed chopper (up to 36 damage), with my axe skill at
> 50, I can take out most enemies with one blow, or at most three or
> four. I'm wondering whether I made the right choice though, because
> most decent enchanted weapons that have a good cast-when-strikes
> feature all seem to be short and long blades. Where can I find a good
> two-handed axe that deals extra fire/shock/etc damage, or some other
> extra damage when I strike? Incodentally, I'm not far through the main
> quest - almost at the bit where I go to Urshilaku camp - so I don't
> want to jump ahead and find something that may interfere with the main
> quest.
>
> TIA,
> user0

This works for my PC. Whether it works for Xbox I am not sure.
But, if your character has warrior-type weapon skills, there is
a useful stash in Seyda Neen that relates to that. Search the
tree stumps there for goodies....

merlin

MERLIN

"FTA" <FTA@fake.email> skrev i en meddelelse
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:58:43 -0400, with the help of 10,000 Little
> Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Rick Cavalla" <rac22@erols.com> wrote:
>
> >"FTA" wrote
> >> Later in the game, I also buy back character made potions and
> >> other cheap stuff from Creeper and dump them on any newly
> >> dead creature to remove them from the game and help reduce
> >> Creeper's inventory.
> >
> >I think you can just drop what you don't want on the ground, go to the
> >console, click on the items you just dropped, and type "disable". This
> >seems to get rid of the items. At least, they disappear. Whether they
are
> >secretly still there and can be re-enabled, I have no idea. But if you
> >don't feel like lugging stuff around, looking for corpses to drop it
all
> >into...
>
> In interesting idea! ^_^ But I figure better safe than sorry, besides
> there are always one or more critters wondering around near the tomb on
> the east side of Caldera (near Creepers house) so I almost never need to
> lug any worthless junk far to get rid of it. BTW, It's also fun to have
> creatures chase my characters into Caldera and watch the guards rush to
> kill them. ;)
> >
> >Hmm ... something just occurred to me ... I wonder what would happen if
> >typed: "player->disable"!?
>
> <LOL>
>

> That's my 2¢,
>
> FTA
>

> "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the
silence of our friends."

> -Martin Luther King Jr.

nothing would happen. 'disable' needs a target

merlin

<user0> wrote in message news:ivtoj0hag5m49va3qrml5ru9ip685j6d3v@4ax.com...
>I started a new game recently, and wanted to focus on a warmage char.
> I wanted to focus on all magic, with one good weapon, so took axe,
> which is working out well, because if I don't bother with a shield,
> and take a two-handed chopper (up to 36 damage), with my axe skill at
> 50, I can take out most enemies with one blow, or at most three or
> four. I'm wondering whether I made the right choice though, because
> most decent enchanted weapons that have a good cast-when-strikes
> feature all seem to be short and long blades. Where can I find a good
> two-handed axe that deals extra fire/shock/etc damage, or some other
> extra damage when I strike? Incodentally, I'm not far through the main
> quest - almost at the bit where I go to Urshilaku camp - so I don't
> want to jump ahead and find something that may interfere with the main
> quest.
>
> TIA,
> user0

Easiest thing - especially at low levels is to use a 'bound battleaxe'
spell - gives you a daedric battle axe (up to 80 damage) that weighs nothing
and also increases your axe skill!

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:54:23 GMT, "Xel-Ha"
<jerodequin@nospampleasesofthome.net> wrote:

>Easiest thing - especially at low levels is to use a 'bound battleaxe'
>spell - gives you a daedric battle axe (up to 80 damage) that weighs nothing
>and also increases your axe skill!

I hadn't thought of that - I'll try that. Any tips for binding spells?
I don't want to run into a fight, try to bind an axe, fail at the
spell, and then realise I've used all my magicka trying to do so, and
that I don't have any "restore magicka" spells.

That, would be a pisser.

user0 wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:54:23 GMT, "Xel-Ha"
> <jerodequin@nospampleasesofthome.net> wrote:
>
> >Easiest thing - especially at low levels is to use a 'bound battleaxe'
> >spell - gives you a daedric battle axe (up to 80 damage) that weighs nothing
> >and also increases your axe skill!
>
> I hadn't thought of that - I'll try that. Any tips for binding spells?
> I don't want to run into a fight, try to bind an axe, fail at the
> spell, and then realise I've used all my magicka trying to do so, and
> that I don't have any "restore magicka" spells.
>
> That, would be a pisser.

Bound spells are usually very easy to cast, a Conjoration skill of
around 30 should give you 100% success rate I think.

<user0> wrote in message news:rnnil0lrco2rh3pb37lia3p08oiu2ee04o@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:54:23 GMT, "Xel-Ha"
> <jerodequin@nospampleasesofthome.net> wrote:
>

>>Easiest thing - especially at low levels is to use a 'bound battleaxe'
>>spell - gives you a daedric battle axe (up to 80 damage) that weighs
>>nothing
>>and also increases your axe skill!
>
> I hadn't thought of that - I'll try that. Any tips for binding spells?
> I don't want to run into a fight, try to bind an axe, fail at the
> spell, and then realise I've used all my magicka trying to do so, and
> that I don't have any "restore magicka" spells.
>
> That, would be a pisser.

Yep - agree with what Pete says - you don't need a very high conjuration
skill to have an over 50% chance of being able to summon items... At low
levels I just tend to make sure I cast before I go anywhere likely to run
into danger and make sure I re cast in the quiet moments! Worst comes to
worst and I run away, cast then return :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

In article <rnnil0lrco2rh3pb37lia3p08oiu2ee04o@4ax.com>, user0 <>
says...
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:54:23 GMT, "Xel-Ha"
> <jerodequin@nospampleasesofthome.net> wrote:
>

> >Easiest thing - especially at low levels is to use a 'bound battleaxe'
> >spell - gives you a daedric battle axe (up to 80 damage) that weighs nothing
> >and also increases your axe skill!
>
> I hadn't thought of that - I'll try that. Any tips for binding spells?
> I don't want to run into a fight, try to bind an axe, fail at the
> spell, and then realise I've used all my magicka trying to do so, and
> that I don't have any "restore magicka" spells.
>
> That, would be a pisser.

What about that kitty in Balmora, next to the Mage's Guild - he's got
all kinds of weapons for sale with 'bound nnnnn' on them. I am not sure
about battleaxe though - sorry. Anyway, the katana I bought off him has
never failed to cast the spell ... unless it runs out of charge (almost
never).

-P.