ElysianWhip

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Wondering if I would be able to play on at least high or max settings with a good constant frame rate with an i5-2500k, 8gb of ram, and HD Radeon 6870.
This is disregarding any other parts on the system.

Thanks in advance,

Whip

Considering Skyrim will be primarily a DX9 game, you should not have any issues unless the Creation Engine that Bethesda is developing turns out to be poorly designed.

IGN: Will the PC version support DirectX 11?

Todd Howard: Yes, but I guess the real question here is do we take advantage of DX11's big new features and the answer is 'not specifically'. Our graphics work centers around doing things that will look the same regardless of platform, and sometimes that implementation will be different on the 360, PS3, and PC.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1158651p2.html

Mozart25

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

In other words, "we are developing this for consoles, so you get the same dated graphics that 5-year-old consoles get."

Yay.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Well, if you played Oblivion, you would know how much the developers changed that. All of the plug-ins, hi res textures, animation fixes, all of the "natural" packs and additions. Even if this game comes out watered down on the PC, the mod community will have fixes appearing in the months following.

Im pretty sure everyones issue is that the developer should be doing that, not the modder community.

so in other words you're saying: pay the developer + publisher for a half-assed product and rely on hardcore fans and modders to polish the game for free. Doesn't sound very fair to me

Kilitankeilts

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
The wonderful aspect of having such a great modding community is the fact that if the game, notably Skyrim, came out perfect in every possible way, the modders would find ways to make it even better. lol. Bethesda isn't going to release a "half-assed" product and make the gamers fix it. Bethesda just allows for the fact that gamers/modders can make the game more fun and last longer by releasing a construction set.

Kilitan

you missed the point of the discussion...

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
I was hoping bethesda would not be this silly... I guess as long as the textures are hi res, I will be happy. But since im prolly gonna build a dx11 machine in october, it would be nice if some games actually used it...

All I want is a dev to say they developed a game for the latest hardware and watered it down to work on old tech for the consoles. This way people on consoles know their hardware is *** and more people would get into the pc game. And we would not be pissed off for getting another console port. everyone wins :D

I moded oblivion and played oblivion for a year straight. So i will be getting skyrim regardless.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I can see there's no pleasing you, is there Mr. Powers? Whatever, I have some horse armor to go buy.

Hey nocturnal7x, they have said that. It was called Witcher 2. I know what you're going to say, "but that engine isn't DX11". Play the game and tell me if the lack of tessellation withdraws from the graphics or the experience. They are still trying to figure out how to make that game work on the Xbox because on the lowest ingame PC settings (minus the resolution setting) it still requires more power than the 360 has to give.

rivo101

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
This pisses me off, Cant believe they arnt going to have DX11 for this game, The trailers look so crappy, gameplay looks great but the graphics look like a stupid console port!!!

Guess if they arnt going to make a great looking game then the modders out there will do there jobs for them:)

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
There's always someone who can do it better, even if the devs release a great product with all the DX11 bells and whistles, someone is bound to release mods that improve upon it. Modders don't always mod out of necessity, they mod because they love it, and no matter what's released, they'll still spend their time creating things to make the game better, or at least different in some aspects. It by no means allows devs to release products that are rubbish, and then expect modders to polish them, but we know that's not the case - TES has always been jaw-dropping, and TES games (especially since Morrowind) have always been polished by modders regardless. I can't begrudge either the devs or the modders for such a positive relationship with each other, and it's nice to see at least one game where the players (modders) and the developers truly respect each other to this degree :)

I cannot wait for Skyrim :p

-Nih

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
From the stills I have seen the graphics look fine to me. For an RPG gameplay should be first then come graphics. So as long as the game plays great and looks better than Oblivion im happy. And there are plenty of games out there that make consoles look silly just look at Metro 2033 lol.

Thats because to modest gamers of my ilk the graphics are just fine,...and the game play is what matters and that is essentially where RPG/Adventure games come to the fall. Normally graphics are assesed by FPS gamers that play Crisis and Crysis 2 on fully benchmarked rigs, essentially take away from the graphics which is essentially the wallpaper over faded walls,....crysis like all FPS hit borefest in 3 hours after it is finished or you realise it is just a mindless mouse click parade.

SW The Old Republic another graphically non-spectacular game but its content just about kills any FPS on all but graphic ratings.

Although gameplay is what matters, the entire issue behind the skyrim debate from what ive seen is that alot of PC gamers arent getting full utilization out of the rigs they build. Content is most important, but Crysis wasnt a boring clickfest imo. I had a GREAT time walking around and feasting on the visuals and throwing guys around in strength mode. If you want to look back at Oblivion, that combat was horrible, simplistic, and yes, a clickfest. I am in no way an "FPS" gamer, but i enjoy them for what they are, esp the ones that push the boundaries of the machines we build. Witcher 2 has phenomenal visuals, why cant skyrim be the same? Oh yeah, thats right 6 yr old hardware is the benchmark for technology nowadays, and the rest of us " FPS gamers" that only like graphics and stroll around maps clicking all over the place are too stupid to make the connection. I'm a fan of all games, but still feel a bit cheated bethesda will basically release a low demanding xbox port to PC and not give us something special.

True the stand alone Oblivion is very simplistic when you asses it in say 2008, but the Mods and the combat mods transformed Oblivion from usesless block and slash to a rather tough duel with finishing moves and epic dismemberments and combo's. I think Skyrims big steps is taking away the annoying power levelling that Oblivion had, now you have more control over your character class, much easier to level properly and instead of having a singular defined character class (magic, stealth, combat) you can easily diversify the character. I agree that even by 2011 standards Skyrim is more like 2009 graphics, needless to say it will be a great title.

I am in no way saying it won't be a good title, but merely pointing out the issue that alot of PC gamers will have with the title. I will be getting the day it releases.

Thank the powers to be and the easter bunny for the modders, they probably made Oblivion such a surviving great title all these years.

The power levelling was the biggest need to fix for me....nothing more stupid than sitting for 30 minutes jumping around so you can level up Acrobatics and Speed just to get a +5 Leveller, and worst off the Minor skills where tedious and just urksome to level.

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I think the value of Skyrim isn't just graphical. Whereas some more linear or concise games have less content to assess (and therefore graphics is nearer the forefront of people's minds), games such as Oblivion that weren't/aren't so linear, and had/have that awe inspiring scale are forgiven for less than perfect graphics because people perhaps see other value elsewhere that redeems their opinion of it. Every game is approached differently by every player, so it's hard to generalise that all "FPS gamers" will see it as nugatory, but I can see that players who have more experience with FPS style games (which are generally very good looking) would expect better graphics as standard, whereas other gamers may not see that as important because they're either not used to it or just don't rate it as a priority.

Also, we have to remember that these companies releasing games are businesses, and are out not only to please players, but to make money. I'm old fashioned, and think pleasing people is more important because it will directly make money, but a lot of companies don't seem to follow that train of thought anymore. Regardless, they will want to appeal to the mass market, not all of whom have the epic rigs capable of fully taking advantage of the visuals people like us want, and therefore would be unable to play the game at a standard they were happy with.

Regardless, at least we know this game will get polished by someone to the standards that everyone wants, which is truly a great thing.

Hehe, I think we're going further and further off topic :p Apologies OP.

-Nih

Ditto, Daggerfall to Morrowind to Oblivion, Bethesda have sacrificed the jaw droping graphics and physics of contempory titles but created gaming experiences of a different level, I like many of the Elder Scrolls fans will find that its real quality comes from its entire engine and not just the graphics......The Game is long(neverending in oblivion's case), it is moddable, The content is rich, Non-linear platform, Sound, Adventure/RPG which requires a little more thinking and decision making over just guns blazing.

I will like Oblivion vow that I will stay with the Elder Scrolls titles to kingdom come.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Yeah I dont see a reason for all the fuss. It seems the game will look much better than Oblivian did and that's great. These games are like you say more about game play than graphics. If they released a game that looked like Morrowind today then ok cry a bit lol. But the game looks fine to me unless they find a way to kill the game play somehow.

Power leveling :??: