Brief Intel mobo history?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
could someone either direct me toward a resource where i could find info on some Intel motherboards, or if you are feeling ambitious, possibly give me a brief overview of some of the boards of any relevance from the past few years? info such as chipset... pros/cons... etc.

G

Wow thats a big one,

Do you mean actual Intel motherboards, or just motherboards with Intel chiopset?
Nobody sells Intel motherboards anymore, are they still making them?

I will only say this:

For the last few years, Intel chipsets has either been made to force you to pay extra for new features, or if you wanted a cheaper version, they have deliberately hampered it.

Just to force the market into a high and low end section. Some of the best examples are I820 and i840, when people discovered they were too expensive and slow, Intel made I815, but I815 is limited to only 512MB RAM!

Also Intel changes socket all the time, again to differentiate high and low end markets. This is seen a lot with more generations of Celeron and Pentium motherboards.

---
Engage!

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
aaahhh, yes, im sorry...i thought about that after i posted. i was asking about motherboards that are made for intel cpu's. maybe just a little info on P3 or P4 compatible boards. basicly, i know about amd compatible boards and the different chipsets pros/cons and would like to know the same about the "other side" lol. the info you posted is along the lines of what i'm looking for....

G

I would strongly reccomend AMD system right now for most users, if you for some reason want Intel, it will be necessary to know why, to reccomend a particular chipset. Do you want high temp tolerance, or speedy DVD conversions? I think those two are the only things Intel has to offer right now. Intel is either extremely expensive and slow, or expensive slow and hampered.

---
Engage!

G

dont wait the I850 and P4 1.7 rock. Fastest combo on earth

I only steal the princess cause she is hot ;*)

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
oh, i'm definately not interested in buying one. i have several amd systems. i just dont know anything about the chipsets that support intel cpu's and would like the knowledge. maybe a little about whats good with celeron... then P3. i can start now, keeping up with P4 but its just tough to find "objective" info on some of the things over the past few years. thanks to everyone that is helping...