No IP assigned from Linksys BEFW11S4

Running XP Pro SP2, Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router.

Other laptops run wireless/cable, but my own laptop can only connect through
cable

When I try to go wireless, then in order to get an IP from DHCP on the
router, I first have to establish a "bridge" between the lan-connection and
the wireless-connection in WinXP, then delete the bridge - then I get an IP
from the router - and I can access the internet. When restarting the laptop
I get the same problem again; no assigned IP.

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A60 with Atheros AR5004G wireless adapter

On cable - no problems
Other laptops no problems with wireless
WEP og MAC-filtering is checked 100% - and they have to be correct because I
can get access doing the "bridge-trick"
Tried to let WinXP control the network connections - and afterwards let the
adapter utility control the network connections - no success in either case

So - my own conclusion is something is wrong i WinXP - but what???

Thanks

Morten
2 answers Last reply
More about assigned linksys befw11s4

    "Morten Jørgensen" <mortendenmark2002@yahoo.dk> wrote in message
    > Running XP Pro SP2, Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router.
    >
    > Other laptops run wireless/cable, but my own laptop can only connect
    through
    > cable
    >
    > When I try to go wireless, then in order to get an IP from DHCP on the
    > router, I first have to establish a "bridge" between the lan-connection
    and
    > the wireless-connection in WinXP, then delete the bridge - then I get an
    IP
    > from the router - and I can access the internet. When restarting the
    laptop
    > I get the same problem again; no assigned IP.
    >
    > Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A60 with Atheros AR5004G wireless adapter
    >
    > On cable - no problems
    > Other laptops no problems with wireless
    > WEP og MAC-filtering is checked 100% - and they have to be correct because
    > can get access doing the "bridge-trick"
    > Tried to let WinXP control the network connections - and afterwards let
    the
    > adapter utility control the network connections - no success in either
    case

    > So - my own conclusion is something is wrong i WinXP - but what???
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Morten
    The fact that you can bridge and get an IP says that the IP for the wireless
    adapter is indeed not working correctly.
    I would suggest that you check for a driver update for the atheros and for
    firmware updates for the linksys. Might even de-install tcp/IP for the
    adapter and re-install it and while you are at it double check the tcp/ip
    config. You could alos assign a static address and see if it will work

    > I would suggest that you check for a driver update for the atheros and for
    > firmware updates for the linksys. Might even de-install tcp/IP for the
    > adapter and re-install it and while you are at it double check the tcp/ip
    > config. You could alos assign a static address and see if it will work

    Does anyone know where to find the Atheros drivers?? - As far as I can se
    they are not on atheros.com - ?

Wireless Laptops IP Wireless Networking