honsbeek2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Hi ,

How can I format the System drive C where windows is located when I boot up with a floppy disk. I am running windows XP sp1
I have it on one partition and want to just format that partition, however with the Windows XP sp1 install CD-rom that
I have I cannot delete partitions and reformat them for a clean
start.

What other options do I have to boot - format - reboot - and bootrun the windows cd

thanks
Ralph

Pentium 4 3.0E (Prescot) 1MB L2
Asus P4P800SE
Samsung DDR (PC 3200) x 2EA in Dual Slots
Radeon 7500 64MB
LG DVDRAM GSA-4082B (DVD Burner)
LG RW/DVD GCC-4521B (Combo)

Use a boot floppy from Windows 98, boots to A: then just format. Or see if your hard drive manufaturer has any utilites on their website, you might even be able to zero your drive if you're interested.

:eek: I don't only break your heart, I also break your pelvis :eek:

riser

Illustrious
Win98 boot disk, gateway has this program called GWScan which will write 0s to HDD meaning it's completely wiped out.. and it'll check for any errors and mark them unuseable..
the command from the boot disk would be: Format C: if you didn't know that offhand.
You might need to copy format and fdisk over to your boot disk.. fdisk allows you to create partitions on your hard drive.

Riser

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Is this thread related to your other thread, Ralph?

For everyone else, here's the link to that thread: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=51636#51636" target="_new"> Format in DOS</A>

honsbeek2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Ok ,

The most is clear ,
Sometimes I need to reopen a thread to get straight answers

I have just tried it, what a mess, When I use the windows 98 boot disk and run FDISK , the program can't recognize my large 300 GIG S-ata drive

What now

Ralph

Pentium 4 3.0E (Prescot) 1MB L2
Asus P4P800SE
Samsung DDR (PC 3200) x 2EA in Dual Slots
Radeon 7500 64MB
LG DVDRAM GSA-4082B (DVD Burner)
LG RW/DVD GCC-4521B (Combo)

pat

Expert
Why dont you simply go to a local shop, and borrow a real install CD. They should have a copy and it is legal for him to leave it to you is they dont give you a key to activate it. Try to get the version that your's is. Ask them one with at least SP1. maybe they could make a copy of it and charge you 5$ for the time and media, but you'll have something to start from.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
Microsoft once made an extention to the win98 boot disk. Try searching their database for it.

Try getting a legal copy of the OS and use it-A NOVEL IDEA!