AMD Working on Stickers That Peel Off More Easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

atk0309

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Amd is doing quite a few nice things these days.
Hardware-wise they are becoming more and more powerful. And it seems that they are even finding time to to go the extra mile for its customers doing these and that small things to improve our experience.
Me likey!

angelo621

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
i really like amd is for small and simple that can help their consumers.
but i would like to see more big changes most likly on software side like drivers.

Yes AMD put 25 engineers on this job for three months and decided to go for the same glue the motor vehicles department use on the car registration stickers ... because the product has been validated for at least 15 years.

This has enabled them to go straight ahead and use this glue on Opteron Stickers and waive the usual server validation period.

I believe they have now purchased the patent for the glue, and issued the Government with a patent infringement notice, and are suing for damages.

Intel's lawyers were quoted as saying "WTF??? ... these guys are good"??

Intel's CEO is currently looking at hiring all of the AMD Engineers, and the AMD legal team, in order to look at a number of possible hostile takeover bids on one of the big guns out there in the tech world.

Both Google and Microsoft have assembled a team of crack packaging engineers in response.

A degree in Packaging Engineering as a discipline is being considered as a new "niche market" minor for Business Majors.

Shall I go on?

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
That settles it. My next laptop will be AMD for sure. In my book this gets AMD more positive PR than the stickers themselves. Intel pretty much started this. Though they are probably not the worst offenders. Intel's marketing is so aggressive they would have the customer marked with a branding iron, and penalize you if covered it with your sleeve.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The laptop I'm using right now has "designed for Windows XP" and "Pentium M" slapped on it. I think its in the best interest of these companies that the stickers be more easily removed. I really don't think Intel wants people to remember the Pentium 4/D/M. And designed for Windows XP? What does that even mean? I think it just refers to the windows key on the keyboard, cause I'm not sure it could mean anything else.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
:AD SPACE: when I buy a computer then that means they should pay me after purchase. I got your :AD SPACE: thanks AMD for the effort and forward thinking in the removal of such advertising after the computer has been purchased.

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
As much as I hate those stickers.... could you at AMD invest more R&D time to make your mobile processors more competitive not only in price, but also considering raw computing power. (Hint: You are doing a good job in graphic department so...)

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
+1 for AMD this kind of thinking is what comsumers need, a company that actually considers the REAL needs and wants of the customer and NOT the ones thier accounting & marketing department.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
but they really aren't hard to remove as it is, on my laptop had a windows xp /vista compatable sticker, an ati sticker and a intel sticker all peeled off easy enough with a razorblade and cleaned residue with a bit of googone on a rag ... pretty painless as it is but kudos if it gets rid of need for the googone

DaveWesh

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Q-Tip and Nail polish remover, or a dab of something like gasoline, and it will make quick work of any residue left by the stickers or any thing with a sticky material. *friend tried fixing a gas leak on his dirtbike once upon a time with duct tape XD*

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]digitalrazoe[/nom]:AD SPACE: when I buy a computer then that means they should pay me after purchase. I got your :AD SPACE: thanks AMD for the effort and forward thinking in the removal of such advertising after the computer has been purchased.[/citation]
They did, you just don't see it in the bill but that's how a $520 computer sells for $500.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
only stickers that drive me nuts on a laptop more than anything are those huge ones that have the full system specs and model number right on the palm rest. Seriously I already know what specs are in the computer by researching it before I bought it. do I really need a sticker 6+ months after purchase telling me what processor I have and that my laptop has HDMI. The little small AMD Vision stickers along with the Windows 7 and Dolby stickers on my Gateway are tasteful and go with the whole overall look of the machine. The big ugly silver sticker on the other side of the touchpad however does not. Thanks AMD for this great thought. Here's hoping more vendors follow this.sticker up one machine for the in store demo leave the rest relatively unadorned please

coleipoo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I thought this was an Onion article at first, then I saw it was serious. That's good and all, but is it really necessary to have a press release about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.