p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting the Gigabyte 7DXR motherboard because it has 3RAM slots among other things but I have a question about it's onboard audio. A friend of mine told me to stay far away from motherboards with onboard audio. I just purchased a SoundBlaster Live audio card and obviously want to use it. Is it possible to use an aftermarket audio card on a motherboard with built in audio? Any ideas or are there any other alternative top notch motherboards with 3 RAM slots for AMD chips?

Thank you in advance,
Eric Stoffers

G

well, my 7dx will be delivered Monday and I will know for sure soon after, but with my gateway system I simply went into the hardware manager (where it shows hardware conflicts) and told it to disable it upon startup. Never caused me any problems with my new card. Had to do that to get one that did full-duplex.

jmycal

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
i had inquired about the same thing when i was looking for mobos. i believe and i may not be 100 % sure, but i thought you could disable the onboard audio if you did not want it and wanted to use a sound card instead. from what iv seen however the onboard audio for the 7dxr looks pretty legit, so if you got the basic sblive card there may be no difference between the two.

life is what happens while you are making other plans

G

yah. Why do those manufacturers make motherboards with build in audio anyway? The quality of most build in audios are so poor. I think even you disable it, it will still occupy an IRQ..... is this true?

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you disable it in the BIOS or on a jumper setting, plus, disable the hardware profile in System Config, Windows should not assign it an IRQ since it has been told to ignore the built in sound.

If it works for you then don't fix it.