Best mobo for Atholon with ddr

rpasell

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
I just bought an IWill KA266-R. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, as I am waiting for some non-ECC RAM. It has a great feature set, with 4.1 on board sound, and RAID. I can't speak to stability yet, but I'll repost my results in a couple days.

jmycal

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
i have bought and putting together a system with the 7dxr mobo from gigabyte. on board raid, integrated creative ct5880 sound w/digital audio, 3 dimm slots. plus something called easy tune iii, windows overdrive utility from which you can overclock your board. not sure how well it works though, haven't tried it. the board also comes with dual bios. also the asus a7m266 board is suppossed to be pretty good as well

life is what happens while you are making other plans

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, I've heard the Asus A7M266 is the best out right now, with the Iwill mentioned above coming in a close second.

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
any body heard if the gigabyte ddr mobo are any good becuase my parents are pushign me to get it built by a company for a warrentty

i made sure that it has a ali magik 1 chipset or an amd chipset thoe

this place i'm talking about seem to better in the hardware other than the fact that they don't have the asus in stock
but i can get them to order what ever mother baord i want
they didn't have msi ethier

in can go to another palce tht use the asus but there componets that they put in system aren't as good
they use lite on for the dvd and cd burner and i'm not sure what nic they use but it is not 3 com or intel
didn't have msi

the other place uses toshiba for the dvd and plextor for the cd burner and also a 3 com nic card

so which trade off do you think i should go for

G

I would wait and see what the Abit KG7-Raid will be like. It has 1 AGP, 6 PCI and 4 DIMMS for up to 4GB of DDR Ram, uses the AMD 761 Chipset. should be a solid board, just my 2 cents

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the A7M266 motherboard from Asus and its very nice. Its just not the best for overclocking seeing as it has no dip switches for changing the multiplier. So far it gets the best performance out of all DDR motherboards. It is hard to find but if you don't mind ordering off the internet you can find it at www.pricewatch.com In the search engine just type "A7M266" and you'll get a huge list of sites.
If you don't mind waiting awhile try to get a motherboard based on the SiS 735 chipset or the nvidia nForce chipset. Both of those solutions are supposed to perform far better than the AMD 760 (761) chipset. Just a little note from other reviews and my friends: motherboard based on the ali magik chipset for DDR arn't very good at all. They get poor memory performance and sometimes have problems with all kinds of stuff. My friend gets horrible DVD performance and dropped frames, and his network card has problems too.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
thanx for the info i planeed on getting the amd chipset because i heard that is faster than the ali magik 1 yet still pretty stable

i wish i could wait to check outr the sis 735 but you have to buy sometime and i need this thing by teh end of july. i would like to get it earlier to be able to get every thing on it i want

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Here is a note on Computer Warrentees, If you are the kind of guy that likes to upgrade about every six months to a year, system warrentees are usless, as by the time three years have gone by, you may not have any of the original computer in its original configuration! In most cases, warrenttes limit you to going to the store that you bought the computer from and paying them to install the new hardware. Also, if you do break anything in system warrentees when trying to upgrade the Hardware, the warrenttee is N/A. Do yourself a favor and buy the parts you know are best for what you are using it for and build it yourself. you may have problems at first,getting them to work together but in the long run, you will appreciate your system a whole lot more than picking the parts some store want you to have.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
yeh i wish i could but this is the only way i got my parents to let get a system the way i want it i want to go and build it htey where to worried that i would do something wrong

yeh i mad sure that i could put in more ram and stuff like that not any major up gardes any ways it is only for 2 years

that is one of the major reasons why i didn't go to a big commputer manufacture
and the fact that you just can't upgrade a commputer form a big company

most things that are going to go wrong ussaly happen with in the first year

Raskall

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
I agree. The KG7-RAID looks like it will be the best board out. Isn't going to be available till the end of the month though.