Daggerfall on XP: Any old timers wanna share a helping hand?

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Hello, I just got Daggerfall running on XP. The first time in several years,
I've been able to play it with sound support. I used the DAGNT5X patch from
Gamers Hell to install the game and configured the sound using setup. Now,
what I am having problems with and need help on, is that I can't seem to get
hardly any response when I use keys in combination. For an example... I'm
trying to use view-based mouse movement, the way Morrowind is played. If I'm
using the W to go forward and try strafing to the left or right with A or D,
the movement is barred. Now, while I'm standing in the middle of the room, I
can strafe, but it's slow. Another example is the Sneak + W movement. I
remember being able to circle enemies with the A and D keys, while attacking
them, so I know it was possible to use key combos back in the day. Anyone
know how to fix this problem? All other game movement seems normal,
sometimes the enemies just shake in one spot without coming for me, but...
for the most part, this is the best I've had Daggerfall running in years, so
I would really appreciate it if someone out there could help me get the rest
of the kinks out. Thanks

jimc

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2002

"dbru" <dbru@NOispwest.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> Hello, I just got Daggerfall running on XP. The first time in several
years,
> I've been able to play it with sound support. I used the DAGNT5X patch
from
> Gamers Hell to install the game and configured the sound using setup. Now,
> what I am having problems with and need help on, is that I can't seem to
get
> hardly any response when I use keys in combination. For an example... I'm
> trying to use view-based mouse movement, the way Morrowind is played. If
I'm
> using the W to go forward and try strafing to the left or right with A or
D,
> the movement is barred. Now, while I'm standing in the middle of the room,
> can strafe, but it's slow. Another example is the Sneak + W movement. I
> remember being able to circle enemies with the A and D keys, while
attacking
> them, so I know it was possible to use key combos back in the day. Anyone
> know how to fix this problem? All other game movement seems normal,
> sometimes the enemies just shake in one spot without coming for me, but...
> for the most part, this is the best I've had Daggerfall running in years,
so
> I would really appreciate it if someone out there could help me get the
rest
> of the kinks out. Thanks

What you describe is usually caused by your processor speed being to fast -
you can try one of the many slow down programs (try a Google search). I
never had much luck getting Dagger to run under XP with out some sort of
problem (sound, video). The best solution I have used is DosBox - a open
source effort that does a very good job with older dos programs. I think
Bethesda has a link to the program on the Arena free download page.
JimC

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Thank you, I will look into your suggestions. I was already thinking of
DosBox, but something such as MoSlo might be what I need the more I think
about it. I entered a town and half of the townsfolk were just tweakin out
and not really moving around, just jerkin back and forth. I can imagine it
might be the fast processor causing this. I just hope MoSlo can work with my
current configuration. So far, it's running great, other than the problems
I've mentioned. Thanks again. If anyone else has a suggestion. Please LMK.
Take care

"JimC" <Jimc@everywere.invalid> wrote in message

> "dbru" <dbru@NOispwest.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> > Hello, I just got Daggerfall running on XP. The first time in several
> years,
> > I've been able to play it with sound support. I used the DAGNT5X patch
> from
> > Gamers Hell to install the game and configured the sound using setup.
Now,
> > what I am having problems with and need help on, is that I can't seem to
> get
> > hardly any response when I use keys in combination. For an example...
I'm
> > trying to use view-based mouse movement, the way Morrowind is played. If
> I'm
> > using the W to go forward and try strafing to the left or right with A
or
> D,
> > the movement is barred. Now, while I'm standing in the middle of the
room,
> > can strafe, but it's slow. Another example is the Sneak + W movement. I
> > remember being able to circle enemies with the A and D keys, while
> attacking
> > them, so I know it was possible to use key combos back in the day.
Anyone
> > know how to fix this problem? All other game movement seems normal,
> > sometimes the enemies just shake in one spot without coming for me,
but...
> > for the most part, this is the best I've had Daggerfall running in
years,
> so
> > I would really appreciate it if someone out there could help me get the
> rest
> > of the kinks out. Thanks
> >
> What you describe is usually caused by your processor speed being to
fast -
> you can try one of the many slow down programs (try a Google search). I
> never had much luck getting Dagger to run under XP with out some sort of
> problem (sound, video). The best solution I have used is DosBox - a open
> source effort that does a very good job with older dos programs. I think
> Bethesda has a link to the program on the Arena free download page.
> JimC

jimc

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2002

> Thank you, I will look into your suggestions. I was already thinking of
> DosBox, but something such as MoSlo might be what I need the more I think
> about it. I entered a town and half of the townsfolk were just tweakin out
> and not really moving around, just jerkin back and forth. I can imagine it
> might be the fast processor causing this. I just hope MoSlo can work with
my
> current configuration. So far, it's running great, other than the problems
> I've mentioned. Thanks again. If anyone else has a suggestion. Please LMK.
> Take care

If the NPC's and the critters are doing the "twitch", then your processor is
too fast. Future problems will be invisible quest items and monsters and a
lot of sound "quirks" - more than the usual torch noise buzz.
JimC

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

That is exactly what is going on... I've tried running the game with the
free MoSlo program and I can't seem to get it to work. The same goes for
DosBox, even after trying several mounting procedures, it says I've inserted
the wrong disc. Could you give me some pointers on getting one if not both
programs setup? I would appreciate it. Thank you

> "dbru" <dbru@NOispwest.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> > Thank you, I will look into your suggestions. I was already thinking of
> > DosBox, but something such as MoSlo might be what I need the more I
think
> > about it. I entered a town and half of the townsfolk were just tweakin
out
> > and not really moving around, just jerkin back and forth. I can imagine
it
> > might be the fast processor causing this. I just hope MoSlo can work
with
> my
> > current configuration. So far, it's running great, other than the
problems
> > I've mentioned. Thanks again. If anyone else has a suggestion. Please
LMK.
> > Take care
> >
> If the NPC's and the critters are doing the "twitch", then your processor
is
> too fast. Future problems will be invisible quest items and monsters and
> lot of sound "quirks" - more than the usual torch noise buzz.
> JimC

jimc

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2002

> That is exactly what is going on... I've tried running the game with the
> free MoSlo program and I can't seem to get it to work. The same goes for
> DosBox, even after trying several mounting procedures, it says I've
> inserted
> the wrong disc. Could you give me some pointers on getting one if not both
> programs setup? I would appreciate it. Thank you

I use the updated installer program - I think the link is www.uesp.net look
for Daggerfall Installer.

Install with the NoCD option, the update Daggerfall to 2.13 with the patch.
I use dosbox with one of the front-end managers (Boxer or D-Fend)
make sure the Z.cfg file is pointing to the correct path where you installed
the program.
JimC

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

I've tried your suggestions, but feel I must not be mounting the drives
correctly in DosBox, because it just tells me it's unable to find the game
disc. The Z.cfg says...

type dfall_huge
path c:\dagger\arena2\
pathCD c:\dagger\arena2\
fadecolor 0
mapfile d
rendergame 1
user 1
startMap 179
region 17
helmet 0
maxSpeed 200
controls betaplyr.dat
maps mapsave.sav
cheatmode 1

Now when I load up DosBox, I type something like... mount c c:\ , but then
what should I do? I've tried several other things, but whenever I type
"dagger" in the c:\dagger directory, the game starts to load, but then give
me the error message?? I've configured the sound in setup.exe in the DosBox
prompt and it sounds like it will work ok. I've also tried the Boxer
frontend, but it just seems to load up the same Dos prompt as I get if I
open the DB program. Please help, maybe just tell me what it is you do for
mounting the drives. Thanks

> "dbru" <dbru@NOispwest.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> > That is exactly what is going on... I've tried running the game with the
> > free MoSlo program and I can't seem to get it to work. The same goes for
> > DosBox, even after trying several mounting procedures, it says I've
> > inserted
> > the wrong disc. Could you give me some pointers on getting one if not
both
> > programs setup? I would appreciate it. Thank you
> >
> I use the updated installer program - I think the link is www.uesp.net
look
> for Daggerfall Installer.
>
> Install with the NoCD option, the update Daggerfall to 2.13 with the
patch.
> I use dosbox with one of the front-end managers (Boxer or D-Fend)
> make sure the Z.cfg file is pointing to the correct path where you
installed
> the program.
> JimC

jimc

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2002

> I've tried your suggestions, but feel I must not be mounting the drives
> correctly in DosBox, because it just tells me it's unable to find the game
> disc. The Z.cfg says...
>
> type dfall_huge
> path c:\dagger\arena2\
> pathCD c:\dagger\arena2\
> fadecolor 0
> mapfile d
> rendergame 1
> user 1
> startMap 179
> region 17
> helmet 0
> maxSpeed 200
> controls betaplyr.dat
> maps mapsave.sav
> cheatmode 1
>
> Now when I load up DosBox, I type something like... mount c c:\ , but then
> what should I do? I've tried several other things, but whenever I type
> "dagger" in the c:\dagger directory, the game starts to load, but then
> give
> me the error message?? I've configured the sound in setup.exe in the
> DosBox
> prompt and it sounds like it will work ok. I've also tried the Boxer
> frontend, but it just seems to load up the same Dos prompt as I get if I
> open the DB program. Please help, maybe just tell me what it is you do for
> mounting the drives. Thanks

When I use Dosbox, I use the command "Fall.exe z.cfg" at the c:\dagger
prompt (remove he quotes). Fall.exe is a new file that is made by the
updated installer, and z.cfg is the daggerfall configuration file.
JimC

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Hey well, I just got it to work using your method. Hehe. Haven't played it
yet, but this will give me a start. Thank you very much for your help. I'm
hoping this will be it. Thanks

> "dbru" <dbru@NOispwest.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> > I've tried your suggestions, but feel I must not be mounting the drives
> > correctly in DosBox, because it just tells me it's unable to find the
game
> > disc. The Z.cfg says...
> >
> > type dfall_huge
> > path c:\dagger\arena2\
> > pathCD c:\dagger\arena2\
> > fadecolor 0
> > mapfile d
> > rendergame 1
> > user 1
> > startMap 179
> > region 17
> > helmet 0
> > maxSpeed 200
> > controls betaplyr.dat
> > maps mapsave.sav
> > cheatmode 1
> >
> > Now when I load up DosBox, I type something like... mount c c:\ , but
then
> > what should I do? I've tried several other things, but whenever I type
> > "dagger" in the c:\dagger directory, the game starts to load, but then
> > give
> > me the error message?? I've configured the sound in setup.exe in the
> > DosBox
> > prompt and it sounds like it will work ok. I've also tried the Boxer
> > frontend, but it just seems to load up the same Dos prompt as I get if I
> > open the DB program. Please help, maybe just tell me what it is you do
for
> > mounting the drives. Thanks
> >
> When I use Dosbox, I use the command "Fall.exe z.cfg" at the c:\dagger
> prompt (remove he quotes). Fall.exe is a new file that is made by the
> updated installer, and z.cfg is the daggerfall configuration file.
> JimC

richardius

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Hey well, I just got it to work using your method. Hehe. Haven't played it
yet, but this will give me a start. Thank you very much for your help. I'm
hoping this will be it. Thanks

"JimC" <Jimc@everywere.invalid> wrote in message

> "dbru" <dbru@NOispwest.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> > I've tried your suggestions, but feel I must not be mounting the drives
> > correctly in DosBox, because it just tells me it's unable to find the
game
> > disc. The Z.cfg says...
> >
> > type dfall_huge
> > path c:\dagger\arena2\
> > pathCD c:\dagger\arena2\
> > fadecolor 0
> > mapfile d
> > rendergame 1
> > user 1
> > startMap 179
> > region 17
> > helmet 0
> > maxSpeed 200
> > controls betaplyr.dat
> > maps mapsave.sav
> > cheatmode 1
> >
> > Now when I load up DosBox, I type something like... mount c c:\ , but
then
> > what should I do? I've tried several other things, but whenever I type
> > "dagger" in the c:\dagger directory, the game starts to load, but then
> > give
> > me the error message?? I've configured the sound in setup.exe in the
> > DosBox
> > prompt and it sounds like it will work ok. I've also tried the Boxer
> > frontend, but it just seems to load up the same Dos prompt as I get if I
> > open the DB program. Please help, maybe just tell me what it is you do
for
> > mounting the drives. Thanks
> >
> When I use Dosbox, I use the command "Fall.exe z.cfg" at the c:\dagger
> prompt (remove he quotes). Fall.exe is a new file that is made by the
> updated installer, and z.cfg is the daggerfall configuration file.
> JimC

you need to install the game like this:eek:pen dosbox and type :mount c d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0
then regardless of the message,type:d:\
then type:\install
it will make its own diretory and then to play always type:fall z.cfg
every time you open dosbox after that make sure you on c drive.If not just type mount c c:\
c:\
fall z.cfg
then the game will start! If you need further instructions e-mail me at rindycedmond@gmail.com
good luck!

phat-phreddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

It's not just you. This forum has more ancient threads brought up than new ones everyday lately.

How did you find this thread? If it was the search function then something needs to be done about it. Of course archived threads should be viewable but they should be locked to posting.

Did you just miss the date on the thread or did you actually think these people are still monitoring a five year old thread?