Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I need help find the best gaming laptop

Last response: in Video Games
July 8, 2011 5:14:06 AM

i am getting tired of having a slow computer I want the best taptop out there so it lasts for a while.

It is going to be a desk top replacement so weight does not
Matter,I am going to be playing 1080p resolution screen for games and videos,blue tooth enabled if possible,running 3D model programs,auto cad,an ok warranty min 1 year if anything at all happens to it I'll be able to fix with out having to spend unneeded money if possible.

Best ever possible everything money not too much of a problem under $4,000 usd

Is windows 7 really that much better than xp?

Please respond please and thank you for any help I can get.

More about : find gaming laptop

July 8, 2011 7:30:53 AM

why laptop? desktop is far better than laptops as far as gaming. and for 4k you can get a BADASS desktop capable of running anythig for 3-5 years.
Score
July 8, 2011 7:47:40 AM

I agree. Laptops are useful when you need to work on the move, but they mostly suck at gaming, and if you want to do CAD, you might want to give a desktop serious thought.

And yes, Windows 7 is definitely worth the upgrade. If you want to blow $4000 on a PC, don't skimp on the operating system. You will need plenty of RAM, which means a 64bit OS, and good luck trying to use XP 64bit.
Score
Related resources
July 8, 2011 1:11:49 PM

+3 for getting a desktop rather than a laptop for gaming, you can get a really sweet desktop plus have room to get a laptop with the money you want to spend.

yes, Win7 is way better than XP, you will enjoy this MS upgrade

with the money you're spending, i'd say get a nice corei7, 6 - 12 gigs of RAM (mainly for you CAD programs), SSD drives as your primary and a couple terabytes drives for storage.
Score
July 9, 2011 1:40:44 PM

I agree a desktop will always be much better for around a third of the price but saying it is not much help, if he needs a laptop and has $4000 to spend he can certainly get a monster gaming laptop. Alienware are the only name I know that do high end gaming laptops sorry I cannot help more. Also follow this thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/308590-10-gaming-la...
Score
July 9, 2011 1:59:23 PM

I will agree with everyone else and suggest a desktop. You get much better performance for you money and you can upgrade it overtime. But if you need a laptop for your situation, I would suggest looking at http://www.xoticpc.com/ before going to Alienware.
Score
July 16, 2011 1:33:23 PM

Try one of these

1. Alienware
2. XoticPC
3. iBatallion
4. Sager
5. Cleo X7200 builds
6. Origin PC's (check their laptops)
7. Eurocom Panther 2.0

Try to go for a Core i7 desktop class processor and Crossfire 6990M or SLI 580M

Do not go for Falcon Northwest, it is grossly overpriced.
Score
July 16, 2011 1:47:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:
1. Alienware

And Alienware isn't? :p 

-----------------------------------------

Like everyone else said, if you want a desktop, get a desktop. Desktop replacements are a niche I've never quite understood, as they're far less powerful than an actual desktop, they're much harder to upgrade, and in general you end up paying a lot more for what you want, and it doesn't last as long.

I honestly emplore you to build yourself a good desktop, or as a last option get a company to build you one. With 4k you could honestly build yourself a monster desktop that would last for a good long time.

General rule of thumb:

• Powerful
  • Portable
  • Not necessarily grossly overpriced.

Choose 2.

Edit: As for Win7 vs Win XP, Windows 7 is better for a stronger system, as it can support DX11. If your system is weaker then XP would be best for you, as it uses less resources. For a new system, especially one that was being build and used for gaming I'd vehemently suggest Windows 7 over XP, for DX11 if for nothing else.

Best of luck anyway,

-Nih
    Score
    July 16, 2011 2:29:24 PM

Nihilis said:
    Quote:

Quote:
    1. Alienware

And Alienware isn't? :p 

Alienware is expensive, I agree but for the same price if we were to configure a Alienware and Falcon NW. The Alienware would be better. Then again Falcon uses desktop parts, so it is bound to be expensive.
    Score
    July 16, 2011 5:42:40 PM

you want to run autocad and 3D modelling on a laptop? wow god bless your laptop then.. if you have such aims forget even desktops. You need a workstation. go to hp and checkout their workstations. I recommend this because you need a xeon processor and you cannot buy it anywhere for your pc. they are special products.
    Score
    July 17, 2011 5:23:08 AM

Zylen92 said:
    you want to run autocad and 3D modelling on a laptop? wow god bless your laptop then.. if you have such aims forget even desktops. You need a workstation. go to hp and checkout their workstations. I recommend this because you need a xeon processor and you cannot buy it anywhere for your pc. they are special products.

Xeons have nothing to do with workstations speed. its the gpu's they use.
    Score
    July 17, 2011 7:06:30 AM

such process traffic can only be controlled by xeon effectively. i am not making this up, check out at construction companies and game designers. You can't use a simple pc to these.
    Score
    July 17, 2011 8:19:39 AM

Zylen92 said:

There are options to get a Xeon in some Clevo X7200 derivatives.
    Score
    July 17, 2011 6:46:48 PM

i meant for a reasonable price mate.
    Score
    !