iPods and Flash Drives Not Recognized by XP SP2

benniemarkjones

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
I have a relatively new Compaq desktop with USB 2.0 ports running XP SP2. The entry in the Device Manager is Intel 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller 24DD.

The problem is whenever I plug in a hard disk-based iPod, an iPod shuffle, or any thumb drive, the Found New Hardware Wizard always comes up. XP cannot find the drivers, I can't find them manually in c:\windows\inf, in the i386 folder, anywhere. Choosing USB mass storage device doesn't work either. I've tried doing Google searches and on driverguide.com for updated drivers, with no luck.

On the iPods, all software is installed and up to date.

On any thumb drive, those don't come with XP drivers.

What I've tried:
1. Deleting all USB entries in the Device Manager in Safe Mode and restarting.
2. Doing #1 and starting up with the device connected.
3. Disabling power management on the USB root hub entries.

I know the hard disk based iPods work because the machine also has FireWire, and they work on that.

However, I'm most concerned about getting the iPod shuffle and the thumb drives working, as they're only USB.

The only other thing I can think of is to uninstall SP2 and try again.

Any other suggestions? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
are you trying both front and back usb ports? I have seen under powered front usb ports a lot on desktops from hp/compaq and dell.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If it didn't come from a mac...
I'm going to take a long shot and say install/reinstall the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. Not from the compaq/hp site but directly from the chipset manufacturer.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

benniemarkjones

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
No, the system came with XP SP1 on it. Upgraded to SP2 when it came out. That's when these USB devices were no longer recognized.

The iPod, in fact all iPods, come formatted for the Mac and must be formatted FAT32 for Windows use, which I did.