VIA and ATA100

G

I recently installed an ATA/100 hard drive alongside my older ata 33 hard drive. I have an ASUS A7V, VIA kt133 mainboard. I am forced to run mostly off of my old hard drive, because Windows locks up frequently on the new one.

I've heard that there are incompatiblities that arise with the VIA chipsets and ATA 100 hard drives. I've flashed my bios to the latest version, got the lates 4-in-1 drivers, and updated windows, but it still freezes. Any other ideas for fixes? Thanks in advance; this is driving me crazy.

eduboys

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've been having similar problems, and i've looked around and I am convinced my motherboard is faulty - i think i'm going to update it to a new DDR motherboard in a little bit, i've tried driver after driver and update after update with no luck. Let me know if you have had any luck

G

I use a different MoBo, but I think most of them advise to make sure ATA100 hard drives, don't share a ribbon with any component that is not also ATA100. have you tried disabling/enabling UltraDMA in BIOS just to see if it makes a difference?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's actually "don't share any ATA66/100 devices on an 80-pin cable with ATA33 or earlier devices, or they might be forced to the lower speed" as the legend goes.

Back to you Tom...