Tracking Bandwidth

Hi All,

How we will programmatically get the information of the Bandwidth of
an access point.
Otherwards how we will keep track of the bandwidth strength of an
access point.

Thanks

--
jiten dash

jiten dash <jiten.dash.1gzxqz@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:
>Hi All,

Hi again, Jiten.

>How we will programmatically get the information of the Bandwidth of
>an access point.
>Otherwards how we will keep track of the bandwidth strength of an
>access point.

Which bandwidth do you mean? Your client will probably give you the
data rate you are connected to the AP with, but there's no sure way of
knowing the bandwidth that the AP is connected to the rest of the
world, though traceroute will give you some hints.

There is no such thing as "bandwidth strength", though Windows
Performance Monitor can monitor connected bandwidth on a particular
NIC.

Is there any chance you can tell us why you need to know, if this this
schoolwork, research, or business related, or what it is you are
trying to accomplish? Operating system, even?

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 12:21:48 GMT, jiten dash
<jiten.dash.1gzxqz@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:

>How we will programmatically get the information of the Bandwidth of
>an access point.
>Otherwards how we will keep track of the bandwidth strength of an
>access point.

If the access point supports SNMP, then MRTG, RRDTool, or a wide
variety of SNMP based utilities will draw nice looking graphs.
http://www.mrtg.org
http://www.rrdtool.org

However, if your access point does not support SNMP, then you can
build a scripting tool that will extract the same information from a
web page. For example, this Java program will extract the numbers
from a WGT624.

As always, it would be nice to know what you are trying to accomplish
and what you have to work with.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558