I am getting desparate: Blue Screen of Death Prob.

G

I periodically get a BSOD, causing me to reboot. Please help!

I got a BSOD that I could copy stuff down off of. It said:

STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xA0028360, 0x00000001, 0x00CC5404)
ADDRESS A0028360 BASE AT A0000000
DATESTAMP 3947e223 -WIN32K.SYS

Another one said:

STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC00001D, 0xB9B132A6, 0xB9B13554)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

So, what's giving me the problem?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JPJankovich on 06/14/01 11:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Wait a minute - is this the same BSOD as in your other post? If so you should have probably just attached this to that one.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Another thing: There is more info on the screen which would be helpful. Check <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?q=how+to+interpret+information+on+blue+screen+of+death&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rnum=2&ic=1&selm=93cna0$fve$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk" target="_new">this usenet posting </A>on how to interpret the BSOD - hopefully you can find which driver is active at the time.

Good luck.

G

Yes, I did, but I was a little confused. It mentioned checking the memory values against a chart in "Section 3," but the article did not contain a section 3. Do you know to what source this is referring? Thanks.

G

So Win2K doesn't like some of my hardware, eh? I guess I will try bug-hunting for a day. I'll get back to you all. Thanks.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
It mentioned checking the memory values against a chart in "Section 3"
By section 3, they mean the third section on the BSOD (on your screen). This is the section that typically lists around 30 or so drivers along with their addresses in memory. It's telling you to figure out where you crashed (which driver) based on the address given.

Good luck.

G

Hmm...no specific drivers were named. I am thinking that my memory might be acting up. It is Samsun PC-133 CAS2, but maybe it shouldn't be set to "Turbo," but rather "Normal." What do you all think?

<font color=blue> There ya go. </font color=blue>

G

I'll bear that in mind. For now, I am going to see if changing the RAM settings in CMOS will do the trick.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That might work. Keep in mind that there is a bug in the UL bios. The memory timings are messed up. Looking at the choices of SDRAM 8/10 ns, Normal, Medium, Fast, and Turbo you might conclude that the settings are progressively more agressive. Also, you might think that SDRAM 8/10 ns and Normal are same. This was not the case.

SDRAM 8/10ns is the slowest setting. Medium is next but was actually the same as FAST. Turbo would be next. Surprisingly, Normal turned out to have the most aggresive timings. (At least that's the way I remember it).

Sorry, I am in a hurry. I think the above is documented at <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm" target="_new">Paul's Unofficial Abit KT7 FAQ</A>. I will check it and confirm later.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Disregard my last message (unless you have an Abit KT7 with the UL or WW Bios). I thought I was replying to another problem on another thread.

Sorry.

However, try the IE 5.5 tip of disabling smooth scrolling. It worked for me.

G

Okay, I give up. I am now trying the smooth scrolling idea. Even after turning down the RAM, I had a BSOD. I'll keep you updated.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Hmm...no specific drivers were named
You don't have a section "3" at all? The white text doesn't go all the way down the page? It's just 5 or so lines at the top?

I am thinking that my memory might be acting up. It is Samsun PC-133 CAS2, but maybe it shouldn't be set to "Turbo," but rather "Normal." What do you all think?
Any chance you can try a different stick of RAM (maybe borrow from a friend or something) just to test your theory? Faulty RAM is always a contender in situations such as this.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the roots of BSODs are untracable. it usually means bad memory (if the memory addresses in the BSOD msg are consistent) or conflicting drivers, contention for resources etc.... .... ....
in many cases it also flashes a error code or exception code, that microsoft should have provided a free printed lookup table to, that says nothing about the actual source of trouble.

theres a simpler way to get rid of these problems.

make sure you backup your data before doing it.

run the following commands:

format c:/s/u
and say yes to whatever it will ask.

then go to the windows setup dir and say
setup

thats the way most of the BSOD problems are solved.

and that doesnt guarantee that the BSOD will never return...

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

G

I may have to do that. Sometimes I get the BSOD upon boot-up. I recently got this error:

STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC000001D, 0xA001878D, 0xE233E590, 0xED1FFC8C)
ADDRESS A001878D BASE AT A0000000, DATESTAMP 3947e2233 -- WIN2K.SYS

G

EUREKA! It's the hard drives! They do not tolerate 133MHz FSBs. The hard drives are IBM DeskStar GXPs. One is 20.5GB and the other is 45GB. Is this unusual for IBM drives? I will post this as a new topic. Please reply there. Thanks.