DeskJet 832c flakeout

We have it attached to our iMac G4. It's five and a half years old and has
never given us a problem. All of a sudden, it's like its signals are getting
crossed and printing out the wrong color ... mostly affecting the black. For
instance, did a test printout in MS Word, putting a word in black, blue,
red, and gray. The black came out purple - everything else printed
correctly.

Is there any hope?

Thanks,

Dan Kennedy

"Dan Kennedy" <dan@dankennedy.net> wrote in message
> We have it attached to our iMac G4. It's five and a half years old and has
> never given us a problem. All of a sudden, it's like its signals are getting
> crossed and printing out the wrong color ... mostly affecting the black. For
> instance, did a test printout in MS Word, putting a word in black, blue,
> red, and gray. The black came out purple - everything else printed
> correctly.

Try printing a diagnostic nozzle test as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N101C0
for the DeskJet 830 (the 4 tap test).

My guess is that you have an empty black cartridge. In some print modes the
printer will underprint with magenta or cyan, to make blacker blacks. If the
black cartridge is empty or clogged the black text could appear purple.

Regards,