any Asus A7A mobo problems

Teknoman

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001
im going to buy the Asus A7A mainboard next week and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with it and what makes me bring this up was the place im buying the board from newegg.com i noticed that that they had refurbished products which means that people are sending them back. just wanna make. thanks in advance

G

I'd be very careful before buying the A7A266. You can read a number of horror stories in the AMD Messageboard forums (http://www.amdmb.com), and the motherboard does not work with the Sound Blaster Live family (which is why I'm returning it). I would definitely look elsewhere.

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Uhhh, I think you're thinking of the Via based boards. The A7A is an ALi Magik1 based board. I have the A7A, and other than one problem (I put the IDE LED lead in the wrong spot, which of course is not a MB problem), I have loved this board. You'll find that in benchmarks the board is around 2-5% slower than some other boards, but I think in real world apps, the difference is negligable. Also, you're not going to find a bunch of "horror stories" here regarding this board, as it doesn't have the incompatability issues that the Via boards do (i.e. the SB Live). I think there have been 2-3 threads regarding problems with the board, and at least one of those is probably related to bad memory, not the board itself.

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have heard of fewer problems with this board than any other AMD motherboard. Most of the problems I have heard of were related to an older BIOS revision. Get the board, and, if necessary, update the BIOs to 1.04

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

327goat

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
I stopped in a couple weeks ago to visit a friend who works in a local computer store, and two had already been returned that day, and this was around noon.
Don't know what was wrong with them, but know that they came back from unhappy customers.

<font color=red> To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal ideas from many is research.</font color=red>

G

Yeah while we are ASUS bashing, I've had to send back my new ASUS A7V133 MoBo because it was faulty (running my Athlon 1.33G too hot) and now my new ASUS 7700 GF2 graphics card is faulty and being replaced... check out EPoX MoBo's - so far very happy with my 8KTA3 RAID+ ..

One of the earlier threads suggested taking a look at the ASUS message board on their site - excellent idea! You will see the extent of unhappy people out there!

later