Sign in with
Your question

DVD drives no longer show up???

Last response: in Windows XP
April 12, 2005 5:35:51 PM

My wife's computer had a recent install of Win XP Pro SP2 on a brand new drive with a Pioneer DVD-105S DVD-ROM and a NEC ND-1300A DVD-RW on the secondary IDE channel. For a couple months it worked flawlessly, but just yesterday she told me that neither of the DVD drives were working.

I checked and saw that neither of them show up in Windows Explorer or the Disk Management window of Adminstrator Tools, yet I can boot from either of them depending on how I configure the BIOS. I booted XP to safe mode and uninstalled both drives via the device manager. When restarting, XP found the hardware and installed them both without apparent error. No drives showed up in Disk Management or Windows Explorer and .

Next I tried three different System Restores to as far back as 10 days ago and each gave the same result - no DVD drives and the IMAPI driver not loading (Event 7026, which has no entries in MS Knowledge Base).

This is the first time I've seen XP properly identify and install drives on either the primary or secondary IDE channels and NOT be able to load the drivers for them.

Has anyone seen this behavior before or is able to explain what may have happened to cause this? I'm sure the problem would go away with a fresh install of Windows, but I really don't want to take the time to set up my wife's and kids applications all over again. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks,

Tim

More about : dvd drives longer show

April 13, 2005 1:38:33 PM

I would try to reinstall motherboard drivers... like VIA, nvidia,..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>
April 13, 2005 8:23:30 PM

Hmm this may be premature but may wanna suspect you PSU. BIOS detecting the drives but windows does not could be a psu issue not supplying a stable 12v rail.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
Related resources
April 13, 2005 10:50:47 PM

I'd be surprised but who knows - how would I go about testing the PSU?
April 13, 2005 11:46:19 PM

Well you can go into your bios and go into your hardware monitor. All voltage rails need to be with +-5%. Could also plug a voltmeter into one of your molex connectors and measure voltage there. Also you can find and install MBM5, google it, and check that out.

One of the first sings of a dying PSU is drives disappearing from windows. Also listen to the case fans and try to hear if there is fluctuations in the sound they make, should not be doing this.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
April 14, 2005 2:26:56 PM

Restore BIOS to Default settings, disable PNP OS on your BIOS, should always be set to No.
Try disconnecting the drivers, turn on the computer, shut it down, reconnect one drive, turn it on and see if it detects it.

If you installed SP2 in the last 2-3 weeks, this has been a known problem after the install.

Have you downloaded any Hot Fixes around the time it started? You might want to start uninstalling the recent ones to see if that caused a problem too.

Riser
April 14, 2005 9:42:19 PM

I configured this computer less than 2 months ago with the OS installed straight up from XP SP2 CDs I got from a Microsoft buddy a couple days before. In hopes of minimizing the amount of babysitting everything my wife or kids install on the computer, I set it up to automatically download and install any XP updates. From the beginning the BIOS was set to defaults with PNP OS set to No.

My wife is quite sure that the only thing she installed since the last successful use of a DVD drive is Macromedia Shockwave. I tried System Restores to at least three dates prior to the last known successful DVD drive use without any luck.

I know our kids like to use a lot of "educational game" programs from The Learning Company and Knowledge Adventure, so it wouldn't surprise me if they mistakenly popped in a CD that sneakily overwrote a file in the system32 folder. I've seen a number of files in the system32 folder dated between 1996 and 1998, so I suspect this computer may be the victim of weaknesses of Microsoft's shared resource philosophy. If I had a good way to detect possible suspects, that would probably be the ticket for me. Know of any good tools?

I remember with NT4 and Win2K, we could run the installation CDs and do a "Repair" which might have fixed a problem like I'm experiencing. When I tried to do the same thing with the XP CD, it didn't seem to permit the same kind of functionality - am I missing something?

Thanks,

Tim
April 14, 2005 9:59:43 PM

A rare occasion with the install/upgrade/or system restore involves CD or DVD(s) not being recognized as installed.

A workaround solution would be to connect the CD/DVD drives to a different drive controller header on the motherboard that does not connect to your boot hard drive. Turn your PNP OS to ON/YES. It's advisable to let the XP OS manage the PNP.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>
April 17, 2005 7:08:31 AM

I tried everything suggested and about 100 other things I came up with based on over 20 years of troubleshooting and never could get either of the DVD drives to show up under any circumstances. After a failed system repair attempt, I reformatted the partition and reinstalled everything from scratch.

Everything seems to be working perfectly now, so I'm convinced that some freak thing had to have happened that corrupted a necessary support file. It wasn't any of the driver files because I replaced them all in safe mode with good files from my own computer.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Tim
!