IDE Channels

G

I have a Gigabyte GA-BX2000 m/board (BIOS v.7). My problem is that I do not seem to be able to use all four IDE channels. I have SCSI devices too but I want to run 2 x HDD + CD-Rom + DVD. Whenever I try to run with 4 channels in use, my systems boots but almost always locks up solid as soon as I try to run anything. All I have to do is remove 1 device, eg DVD or CD-Rom and the system works again. I have tried swapping devices around on the channels but that does not seem to help. I currently have 2 HDDs on primary and CD/DVDs on secondary. I have replaced cables. Master/slave settings are correct. All devices function correctly (when not all connected at same time). Rest of config - 2 SCSI HDDs and SCSI CD-RW, PIII 850, TNT2 Ultra, PCI UW SCSI, Haupage TV/FM, S/Blaster Platinum, 512Mb PC133. PLEASE HELP!

G

Are the Drives set up correctly in the BIOS???

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

G

All I can think of is that your power supply probably cannot handle all of the devices at once.....what is you PS rated at? do you have all of those devices connected at once? including the SCSI devices? I think your pc is trying to tell you its strapped for juice. just one thought to run by you.......

ignore everything i say

G

Thank you for your speedy reply. I did (and still do) wonder about power supply, it is 250w. I might replace it. However, just 30 minutes ago, I was sitting thinking about the problem and wondering why it had actually worked originally although only for a short time. Then I noticed that some of the drive letter assignments had changed. Also, I seemed to recall that there was a major power failure around the time things started to go wrong. I re-detected all the drives in the BIOS and set all the drive letter assignments and everything is now fine. So - problem solved, but many thanks for your interest. Thanks again, Peter.

G

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You were right on the button. I will tell you what I told "Antivirus", who also responded. Just before picking up my email, I was sitting thinking about the problem and wondering why it had actually worked originally, although only for a short time. Then I noticed that some of the drive letter assignments had changed. Also, I seemed to recall that there was a major power failure around the time things started to go wrong. I re-detected all the drives in the BIOS and set all the drive letter assignments and everything is now fine. So - problem solved, but many thanks for your interest.
Peter.