Laptop Wireless Access To My Existing Network

I currently have a DSL modem in front of a Netgear VPN Firewall/Router
(no wireless capability) which I currently have two computers (a
workstation and a laptop) connected via ethernet cables.
Occasionally I need to take the laptop to another place in the house to
work and would like to do this wireless as opposed to running ethernet
cable around the house.
What hardware would I need to purchase to plug into my router to gain
wireless access from my laptop. The hardware for the laptop is much
more straightforward.

Thanks -

John Hinkey
Seattle, WA

"JBHinkey" <jhinkey@geminustd.com> wrote in message
> I currently have a DSL modem in front of a Netgear VPN Firewall/Router
> (no wireless capability) which I currently have two computers (a
> workstation and a laptop) connected via ethernet cables.
> Occasionally I need to take the laptop to another place in the house to
> work and would like to do this wireless as opposed to running ethernet
> cable around the house.
> What hardware would I need to purchase to plug into my router to gain
> wireless access from my laptop. The hardware for the laptop is much
> more straightforward.
>
> Thanks -
>
> John Hinkey
> Seattle, WA
You need an Access Point, It will plug into one of your router Lan ports and
provide wireless. Netgear makes access points or there are others such as
the linksys
wap54g...which is what I use.

JBHinkey wrote:
> I currently have a DSL modem in front of a Netgear VPN Firewall/Router
> (no wireless capability) which I currently have two computers (a
> workstation and a laptop) connected via ethernet cables.
> Occasionally I need to take the laptop to another place in the house to
> work and would like to do this wireless as opposed to running ethernet
> cable around the house.
> What hardware would I need to purchase to plug into my router to gain
> wireless access from my laptop. The hardware for the laptop is much
> more straightforward.
>
> Thanks -
>
> John Hinkey
> Seattle, WA
I will tell you the best deal around for you will be to purchase a
Linksys wireless G network kit for notebooks. Great deal for under a
hundred dollars and on sale often too. But you get the wireless pc card
adapter for your note book and a new wireless G router to replace your
existing one. And your in business, take you laptop anywhere in your
house or yard for that matter and be connected to your network and
internet. Better yet get a wireless pci card for your desktop too and
trash all your cables but the one from you modem to your new router.

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:42:32 -0700, Cox News <markeytoe@yahoo.com>
wrote:

<snipped
>> I currently have a DSL modem in front of a Netgear VPN Firewall/Router
>> (no wireless capability) which I currently have two computers (a
>> workstation and a laptop) connected via ethernet cables.
>> Occasionally I need to take the laptop to another place in the house to
>> work and would like to do this wireless as opposed to running ethernet
>> cable around the house.
>> What hardware would I need to purchase to plug into my router to gain
>> wireless access from my laptop. The hardware for the laptop is much
>> more straightforward.
>>
>> Thanks -
<snipped>

Purchase a wireless Access Point. It will allow you to wirelessly
connect your laptop to your existing network. All of the usual brands
have them, however, due to the all-in-one wireless routers, many
stores opt not to carry the access points. Currently, I am using the
D-Link DWL2100AP that I purchased from CompUSA. It can be configured
as an regular accesss point, a point-to-point bridge, a
point-to-multipoint bridge, a repeater and a wireless client. It also
supports WEP (64, 128 & 152 Bit encryption), WPA (Radius) and WPA-PSK
(TKIP & AES encryption). Do your research and select the brand and
model that best suits your needs. Take care.