Samsung's Super Impressive Next-Gen ARM Orion

Status
Not open for further replies.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
This sounds (on paper anyway) like a video person's dream phone. Hard to believe your battery will last long doing all that, though...

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]IAF[/nom]How it compares to nVidia Tegra 2?[/citation]

Though to say but with Orion, Tegra2, Ontario, and several other both higher and lower performing parts available in the very near future it's hard to see where Intel with Moorestown will find a foot to stand on in the very low power consumption market.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I don't foresee the demise of the desktop any time soon, but this is a pretty impressive chip. It would easily outperform the first PC that I built in 2001, from new parts.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I can't wait to see this up against Moorestown. The mobile sector will continue to grow rapidly. I just can't wait until I have a fully functional x86 phone.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
I dont see desktops going away, I see laptops however starting to become less and less wanted.

But I would like more 5-6inch screen "phones" I mean most people text only now and it would bring more power to the machines and easier on the eyes.

-Alessandro-

Feb 15, 2010
"five times the 3D graphics performance over the previous processor"
that's a hell of a processor... and you can even have a triple display controller...
Just buy the device with that chip in it, plug a monitor and PC Keyboard... good to roll !!!

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
its interesting for an enterprise to have a desktop with this type of processor when there is no need of power.

But ... is it possible to benchmark these type of CPU/GPU to compare them to a standard desktop product?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zaixionito[/nom]Meh. Phones need better battery life... Just look at the HTC Evo. It would be nice to see how efficant it is.[/citation]
The CPU is not the factor in draining battery life, it is the 4G connection.
If you temporarily disable the 4G and rely on the standard connections it's battery life jump way up with the best in the market.
http://www.goodandevo.net/2010/05/20-tips-to-improve-htc-evo-4g-battery-life.html

The main factors in killing the battery are screen and transmissions.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
this moorestown, tegra2, or bobcat .. who will get the performance crown, taking bets here

my guess is tegra offereing best visuas lacking other processing power, moorestown providing best flat power but lacking visuals, arm loses power crown but stays pretty in the middle on everything, and bobcat takes power crown and jus ta bti over average on everythign while not toppign any charts (other than power usage)

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Lets see how it works up.
Sound like a kickass phone if you ask me.
But, i'm using a "normal" old phone, Samsung U600.
This devices are too expensive for a pocket fun device.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation]Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, anyone?[/citation]

Given that the Samsung Galaxy Tab uses TFT display instead of Super AMOLED along with the limited OS upgrade to 3.0 with no plans to support beyond that I think the Galaxy Tab 2 was well in mind during the designing of the original.

Now add in the recent news that they plan to increase OLED screen production by ten times by early 2011 and I think the picture is pretty clear for the Samsung product lineup.

I'm really looking forward to the Galaxy Tab 2 given the momentum Samsung is making recently.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]The CPU is not the factor in draining battery life, it is the 4G connection.If you temporarily disable the 4G and rely on the standard connections it's battery life jump way up with the best in the market.http://www.goodandevo.net/2010/05/ [...] -life.htmlThe main factors in killing the battery are screen and transmissions.[/citation]

Actually, don't be narrow on the Evo. I NEVER use 4G, not in my area, and my battery life stinks. It's radios in general. Leaving on 3G for 8 hours leave me at 20% now. GPS on too? 8 Hours is death. Turning off all radios except phone... 8 hours = 90% + ...

And while the CPU may not eat lots of battery, we'd have to assume new devices are coming with all these antennas too and will eat power just as radically without some better management.

I'd really like my phone to be able to come on, check for a connection on 3G, sync data and then turn if back off for an hour or two instead of the always on or always off scenario. I know there are apps that can do it, but meh, it should have been a default feature.

[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]Though to say but with Orion, Tegra2, Ontario, and several other both higher and lower performing parts available in the very near future it's hard to see where Intel with Moorestown will find a foot to stand on in the very low power consumption market.[/citation]

I can see your point about Intel but then again Moorestown will meet the exact same specs.

I do doubt the full 1080P HD will be capable on a smartphone due to power consumption, but rather in UMIDs much like the full blow Atom will be geared towards.

Still its good to see that Samsung is upping the ante so that the others will have to fight back. Might make the modile market explode even faster.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I'm curious if Orion is gonna be powering the droid I'm looking for...

Also, considering that this is the first generation of dual-core ARM's, I wonder if they are going to behave like the old Q6600 (i.e. two cpu's stuck next to eachother) or if it will be a completely new die.

"Orion features a pair of 1GHz ARM Cortex A9 cores"

...kinda implies two cores on a chip, rather than two cores on a die...

I can't wait to see what GPU is going with it, and how they perform together! :p

my main concern is battery life.

i have a samsung wave, happy with it. it has a few quirks here and there but no biggie. i bought it for the super amoled and capacitive touch screen, the rest are just bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.