G

Greetings;

I just bought an ASUS Black Pearl motherboard, my first, I have always bought Intel, like an idiot i let myself be persuaded by Tomshardware.com evaluation of this ASUS product. im having a very tough time configuring the processor speed on this thing, I am MCSE+ with 10 years experience in designing and integrating systems, from simple computers to a whole WAN complete with server farms.

As it is stated in the manual, I have tried seting the motherboard feature seetings jumper to the disabled position in order to configure the dip switches to the off,on,on,off,on positions which represent my processor, Intel 933 mhz with Infineon 133 mhz memory chips, the system doesn't do anything on power up, no screen shows, total hang up.

same thing happens if i try to set the jumper to the enabled position, placing all dips on the off position, same results, no response.

The only way i can get it to power up is placing the jumper on the 1-2 position and all dips off, then it gives me a cpu clock on 478 mhz.

Any suggestions?

Gustavo Manrique
MCSE+
Operations systems administrator
Nabors Drilling International LTD Bemuda.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you would have simply left the damned jupers alone in the first place it would have booted up at 933! Set everything to default (auto detected) settings, if it comes up at anything less than 933 (do to a previous boot error), go into BIOS and switch it to 133/133/33. Your done, have a smoke.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Crash, i did left the jumpers alone at first, then it reset itself to 458 mhz, thats why i had to go in to set it manually, jumperfree wouldnt keep the setting.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What's happening is that a non-boot condition is causing a BIOS saftey trigger to reset to the lowinst clock speed. So it can't boot at 933. It may be do to your memory, I have heard these things are fussy. Try setting it to 133/100/33 and see if it boot. If so, your memory is not capable of running at full speed on your motherboard, replace it. I get mine from Crucial.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Thanks mate, you're right, im having power sacks here, thats why its resetting.

Hatch