Closed Solved

Better Video Card

Quick question. I'm pretty happy with my budget build I completed in January, and all my games run well. The only thing that annoys me is when I'm playing Crysis, Prince of Persia, and Just Cause 2, if I look out on a big open area (with a view in the distance) my framerate drops like 50%. It's especially noticeable on PoP... Also in Crysis (which I know is too intense a title to be playing on my machine), when I turn around and there's a decent view behind me (lots of things to render), the frames drop to 0 for a short period while I pan around. Then when I turn around again, it's fine. It's like my computer has to stop to render and save the 360 view. So I'm pretty sure this is a VRAM or CPU cache issue.

Anyways, I am planning on getting a new vid card next year and I'm wondering if I should focus on more core processors, more VRAM, more VRAM bandwidth, or a CPU with L3 cache to eliminate these problems. I'll be shopping in the $120-$150 range.

Specs:
Sapphire HD 5670 512MB (OC'd 15%)
Athlon II X2 250 (stock clocks)
2GB DDR2 800
1440x900 LED monitor
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about better video card
  1. I recommend adding 2 gigs of memory. 4 gigs is really the minimum I would run if you want smoother gameplay.
  2. I'm not sure how much bearing that has on my problem tho - BTW I forgot to mention I'm running a 32-bit version of Vista, and I always leave plenty of headroom for a game. Idle RAM usage varies between 600 and 850MB - Crysis is the only game that pushes me to the limit.

Tho I don't know - I planned on picking up another 2 gigs just in case I'm being limited at all.
  3. Anyone know what hardware is causing my issue? I'd love for it to just be my amount of RAM, cuz that's super cheap, comparatively.
  4. Best answer
    when I had my 8800gt if was a 512mb card, so im not totally convinced its your vram. More vram cant hurt, but I think even an extra gig of memory would do it. Unless your card is really slow.

which looking at other 5670's does not look like much of a gaming card.
  5. get a hd 6850 or higher
    gtx 460 or higher
    2 GB more ram
    Better CPU...AMD if you wanna stay on the cheaper side...like a Phenom IIx4 955 BE or intel i5 2500k just to be on the safe side of the fence for cpu performance which would mean you would also need a new mobo though.
  6. starting with graphic card i would suggest renewing your whole computer even your monitor. you should have a full hd at least.
  7. Haha - well thanks guys. I am looking for a new video card - most likely an HD 5770/6770 or GTX 550Ti to max my framerate, and I'm also eventually going to get a phenom II X4 945, but that's not in my budget right now... I'm ordering 2 more gigs of RAM right now - hopefully this will do the trick, if not, I know a new card will do it. Just wanted to know if anyone knew the cause of my specific problem.

Zylen92, thanks - that's a lot of help...

Anyway, hopefully Newegg will have an awesome sale for Black Friday.
  8. Best answer selected by jessterman21.
  9. jessterman21 said:
    Haha - well thanks guys. I am looking for a new video card - most likely an HD 5770/6770 or GTX 550Ti to max my framerate, and I'm also eventually going to get a phenom II X4 945, but that's not in my budget right now... I'm ordering 2 more gigs of RAM right now - hopefully this will do the trick, if not, I know a new card will do it. Just wanted to know if anyone knew the cause of my specific problem.

Zylen92, thanks - that's a lot of help...

Anyway, hopefully Newegg will have an awesome sale for Black Friday.

mate people have already written things that i was going to. I just meant that i agree with them.
  10. Well, 4GB of RAM solved my Crysis stutter - I can now run it on High at 30fps. That game sure likes to suck up some RAM! Prince of Persia just requires a bit better card I guess. Too much to render at one time - I'll be getting an HD 6850 when the price drops to $150.
  11. Well, I got an HD 6870, and it runs Crysis like a dream, but I still have stutters in PoP... Read some threads online and it looks like that game is more CPU-intensive than you'd think. My video card load is never above 50%, but the CPU is always 85-95% maxed. I guess it wants another core or some L3 cache.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Graphics Cards Video Games