Gas Powered Games: PC Gaming Is Not Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
although its a sweet idea that will probably end up taking over pc gaming, it's sad to know that we won't need to build high power pc's for gaming anymore :(

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Hopefully good news for PC gamers. I will say however that Supreme Commander 2 looked like it should be called Supreme Commander 360. I liked the the first Sup Com much more, RTS and PC gaming go hand in hand.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Gaming in a browser = Zero piracy... since everything is client/server based, there is nothing to pirate.

Software as a service = Welcome to your gaming future.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
If only the source engine was stable on wine/linux :(

You shouldn't be mixing up windows and pc when talking about platforms, because now you can run 5 (or more, I guess) different os's virtually any pc.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Wow, They put Sup Com 2 and SC2 in the same sentence with the words Triple- A titles. I own both but Sup Com 2 has been virtually left alone. Since SC2.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I think PC gaming took a slight plunge when consumers figured out they could still check their email without a high-end video card, and many PCs were not up-to-spec to play games. Nowadays, Dell, et. al., would probably not hesitate to tell you that you need a 5770 just to watch Netflix (same concept as the AT&T rep trying to tell me that there was no way my 3mb/s DSL could handle Netflix at all. Had to tell her to quit trying to sell me upgrades and keep my service as-is about 20 times). The end result is that many people's "email-checking machine" is already up to light-medium gaming spec. They probably wouldn't buy a gaming PC, but since they already have one that can handle it, why not game a little?

jhatfie

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I am sure gaming in browsers will continue to evolve, but to date I have found no such game very enjoyable or worth my time. Even if they increase in graphics quality to that of Starcraft 2 in 5 years, high end gaming will still offer a significant increase in graphics quality in comparison. Also you have to deal with issues with lag a doubtful ability to scale to triple screen resolutions further eliminating it's appeal except for certain types of games.

partytime

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Full games in a web browser? What the hell for? I don't think this will happen like he thinks it will. MAYBE computers will get powerful enough one day that we will not need to worry about our hardware and any computer will be able to play any game.. but event that is far fetched as long as game developers (god bless them) are pushing the limits of hardware. (can it play Mafia II?)

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]although its a sweet idea that will probably end up taking over pc gaming, it's sad to know that we won't need to build high power pc's for gaming anymore[/citation]

There will always be a reason to build a high end PC.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]RipperjackAU[/nom]Gaming in a browser = Zero piracy... since everything is client/server based, there is nothing to pirate.Software as a service = Welcome to your gaming future.[/citation]

SaaS = ripoff

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
But ....but...but I love that about PC gaming....knowing I got a 7000 this or an 8000 this....4.0ghz this and that....8 gigs of that and this.

knowing I have a beast to run any game you throw at it...That one major factor I love about PC gaming...I really hope the whole browser garbage dont catch on that quick. or rather gain to much popularity.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
And as long as developers are interested in pushing the limits of what is possible, the PC will be fine.

The fact that people jailbreak their PS3s is a testament to the fact that the gaming PC will be around for a long time to come.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Steam is hardly the saviour of PC gaming - I actually hate the damn thing when I but a new game and have to use Steam to activate or validate it.

PC gaming is on the decline because of the ease of playing games on a console - cheaper and no drver issues.

easymark26

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I say more browser based games please!
the one I play right now is Tiger Woods Online, its free to play (with a membership option to play on all courses.) and it looks really good and has zero gameplay issues, one promo ad at the turn and one after the 18th... not bad at all.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]If only the source engine was stable on wine/linux You shouldn't be mixing up windows and pc when talking about platforms, because now you can run 5 (or more, I guess) different os's virtually any pc.[/citation]

If he really believes that PC games are going to move into the browser space then he's not mixing them up. If those games did move into the browser space it would remove the Windows dependency since all of those games would need to be based on a browser standard that crosses OS platforms.

I think he's dreaming if he thinks that will be possible even in the next 10 years given how terrible the telecomm companies have been about improving the broadband backbone.

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Browser based AAA titles? Please. I refuse to give up my hobby for gaming rigs! And I see no way for games to move into browser space on a depth and scale like current install games. Especially with how awful our broadband is in the states..

yzfr1guy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
[citation][nom]ulysses35[/nom]Steam is hardly the saviour of PC gaming [/citation]
+1 !
Steam makes purchasing software easy for sure but I'm not fond of it as it's just a little break into into the whole cloud computing/spying/monitoring scheme that were slowly being forced into. What happens when your Steam account gets h4ck3d? Steam support don't give a rats dump and will leave you hanging as my friend lost dozens of games due to this. Their anti-privacy for consumers, slow download of content, and constant updating of useless crap pwning my CSS server connections is for the birds! Forget you Steam!

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Browser based game talk again? Silly for most but will work nicely for others that can't afford to build a decent gaming machine. I personally have no interest in browser based gaming since the intial reports on it indicate poor performance and lag.

Once studios figure out that consoles are holding PC titles back then we can move past this and games can finally take advantage of the hardware we all have sitting in out machines right now not being used to any extent of what it is capable of producing.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I think that PC's are and always will be the pinnacle of gaming. A few reasons being that PC's in one shape or another will always be in far more homes than a console and its vastly greater abilities, ie.. internet, businness applications, and undeniable gaming supiriority vs the cost and limitations of a console. I will give one to the consoles for the ability to CO-OP and Multi-Player offline with friends or family.

But to his other point of streaming games, I have my doubts and fears. The biggest problem is LAG you cannot tell me you expect someone to play a smooth running FPS game on a remote system without severe delay. Also the internet infrastructure as a whole is not up to it at this point and does not look to be improving in the manner to make this possible in the near future. I would gladly pay for hardware in my home than bandwithd to stream content in this manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.