Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Playing a bought and installed game without cd

Last response: in Video Games
July 12, 2011 2:39:25 AM

I already bought and installed by Civ 3 Complete addition and played it for years, now the CD for playing the game is cracked in the center, and I don't like having to replace it. Is there a way to play it without the game CD if I already have it bought from the very Walmart I work at and installed on my PC?
July 12, 2011 2:52:28 AM

you can, but technically its bypassing the copy prodection and is illegal. Try another forum or google search, we can't help you with that here, against the forum rules.
July 12, 2011 7:09:51 AM

You can use the CD-Key (legal one) to request a new copy from the publisher.

Personally, and nothing against anyone and with no intention to promote piracy, I don't see a problem with using a no-CD crack with a LEGAL game you bought and paid for in full. I'd recommend contacting the publisher first, though, they may be able to help you with a new copy.
Related resources
July 12, 2011 7:51:41 AM

Thanks, and yes I did buy and pay for the game in full, and am looking for an alternative to having to replace the whole set, if legally possible, I never intended piracy for it or anything else. Can the CD-Key be used without the CD? The CD is literally crasked at the center and my PC can't read it anymore. I'm only a gamer, I'm not a technical wizard or anything like that, so I have to ask such questions.
July 12, 2011 1:01:19 PM

check the booklet that came with the game, it should have a number to ring, to buy replacement disks.
some companies normally charge £10 per replacement. some charge that for all the disks combined.

Best solution

July 13, 2011 5:50:48 AM

wystendraco said:
Thanks, and yes I did buy and pay for the game in full, and am looking for an alternative to having to replace the whole set, if legally possible, I never intended piracy for it or anything else. Can the CD-Key be used without the CD? The CD is literally crasked at the center and my PC can't read it anymore. I'm only a gamer, I'm not a technical wizard or anything like that, so I have to ask such questions.

If you can't get a replacement disc, you can download a copy of the game and use your legal CD-Key to install it. It will work 99.9% of the time, and it's still legal (that's how Steam, EA Origin, EADM and many other apps work). Just don't distribute the thing, or sell it.
July 20, 2011 2:57:58 AM

Thanks, and it worked, the game's working again, lots of trouble saved.
July 20, 2011 2:58:35 AM

Best answer selected by wystendraco.
July 20, 2011 11:15:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!