Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

I'm playing (or, rather, trying to play) Arena. I can get it up and running
with VDMSound (NOT with DOSBox, strangely), but during bonus point
distributing the mouse doesn't work, neither does the arrow up/down on the
screens where you answer the class generating questions.

Can anyone help me fix this? I took a peek at the Arena106 setup doc, as
well as the arena.bat, but it made me none the wiser.

My system: Win2000Pro SP4, 1.25 GB RAM, Geforce3 Ti200, Hercules Fortissimo
soundcard, vanilla PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

Arcana Dragon wrote:

> I'm playing (or, rather, trying to play) Arena. I can get it up and running
> with VDMSound (NOT with DOSBox, strangely), but during bonus point
> distributing the mouse doesn't work, neither does the arrow up/down on the
> screens where you answer the class generating questions.
>
> Can anyone help me fix this? I took a peek at the Arena106 setup doc, as
> well as the arena.bat, but it made me none the wiser.
>
> My system: Win2000Pro SP4, 1.25 GB RAM, Geforce3 Ti200, Hercules Fortissimo
> soundcard, vanilla PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

There was a thread in this group awhile back that dealt with the
necessary commands to get this working with XP. I'm sure that the same
commands will work with Windows 2000 but I can't find my copy of them.

"Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> skrev i meddelelsen

> There was a thread in this group awhile back that dealt with the
> necessary commands to get this working with XP. I'm sure that the
> same commands will work with Windows 2000 but I can't find my copy of
> them.

It seems the thread has been deleted from the newsserver I can access...
Hmmm...

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm

MERLIN

"Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> Arcana Dragon wrote:
>
> > I'm playing (or, rather, trying to play) Arena. I can get it up and
running
> > with VDMSound (NOT with DOSBox, strangely), but during bonus point
> > distributing the mouse doesn't work, neither does the arrow up/down on
the
> > screens where you answer the class generating questions.
> >
> > Can anyone help me fix this? I took a peek at the Arena106 setup doc,
as
> > well as the arena.bat, but it made me none the wiser.
> >
> > My system: Win2000Pro SP4, 1.25 GB RAM, Geforce3 Ti200, Hercules
Fortissimo
> > soundcard, vanilla PS/2 keyboard and mouse.
> >

> There was a thread in this group awhile back that dealt with the
> necessary commands to get this working with XP. I'm sure that the same
> commands will work with Windows 2000 but I can't find my copy of them.

AFAIC VDMSound was a product of the sourceforge people. At least
that was where I got it from. Maybe some of them can help

merlin

"Merlin" <bech_dokNOSPAM@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelelsen

> AFAIC VDMSound was a product of the sourceforge people. At least
> that was where I got it from. Maybe some of them can help

Well, what do YOU guys do to get Arena running?

I've tried loading it with DOSBox, but it simply crashes to desktop...

I've had the game for years, but only the 5 1/4" diskette version, so I've
never been able to play it. I'd really like to give it a go.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm

jimc

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2002

"Arcana Dragon" <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote in message
> Well, what do YOU guys do to get Arena running?
>
> I've tried loading it with DOSBox, but it simply crashes to desktop...
>
> I've had the game for years, but only the 5 1/4" diskette version, so I've
> never been able to play it. I'd really like to give it a go.
>
> --
> Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
> d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
> LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
> http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm

I use the Arena version from the Bethesda website with Dosbox 0.61 - OS is
Win XP home
(also works with Daggerfall)
JimC

"JimC" <Jimc@everywere.invalid> skrev i meddelelsen

> I use the Arena version from the Bethesda website with Dosbox 0.61 -
> OS is Win XP home
> (also works with Daggerfall)

Did you have to edit any .ini- or .bat-files to get it running?

--

Arcana Dragon wrote:

> "Merlin" <bech_dokNOSPAM@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>

>> AFAIC VDMSound was a product of the sourceforge people. At least
>> that was where I got it from. Maybe some of them can help
>

> Well, what do YOU guys do to get Arena running?
>
> I've tried loading it with DOSBox, but it simply crashes to desktop...
>
> I've had the game for years, but only the 5 1/4" diskette version, so I've
> never been able to play it. I'd really like to give it a go.

Personally I played it on Windows 98, I had too many problems getting it
working correctly with XP. I first played it under DOS on a 486-66 with
about 16 MB of memory. There it played fine (once i got enough free
memory) other than entering and exiting shops.

Arcana Dragon wrote:

> I'm playing (or, rather, trying to play) Arena. I can get it up and running
> with VDMSound (NOT with DOSBox, strangely), but during bonus point
> distributing the mouse doesn't work, neither does the arrow up/down on the
> screens where you answer the class generating questions.
>
> Can anyone help me fix this? I took a peek at the Arena106 setup doc, as
> well as the arena.bat, but it made me none the wiser.
>
> My system: Win2000Pro SP4, 1.25 GB RAM, Geforce3 Ti200, Hercules Fortissimo
> soundcard, vanilla PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

Going into Google Groups found the following reply to one of my messages
on fixing the mouse in Windows XP:

Using mousectl.com (get it e.g. from http://ufo-x.com/file/mousectl.zip)

Modify your arena.bat like this:

loadhigh mousectl 5,6,10,15,15,15,15,15
@A -delay:1 -sa:220 -si:7 -sd:1 -ma:220 -mq:7 -md:1 -ssbdig.adv -msbfm.a
dv

For the sound problems use the vdms sound system

hth,

Gideon

icon

Arcana Dragon wrote:
> "Merlin" <bech_dokNOSPAM@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>

>> AFAIC VDMSound was a product of the sourceforge people. At least
>> that was where I got it from. Maybe some of them can help
>

> Well, what do YOU guys do to get Arena running?
>
> I've tried loading it with DOSBox, but it simply crashes to desktop...

At which point, from start or from when you enter the dungeon? If the
latter then I also had that problem, alter the cfg file so that the CPU
setup is on "normal"

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Icon <carnajo@invalid.co.za> skrev i meddelelsen news:cingng$jh3$1@ctb-
nnrp2.saix.net:

>> I've tried loading it with DOSBox, but it simply crashes to desktop...
> At which point, from start or from when you enter the dungeon? If the
> latter then I also had that problem, alter the cfg file so that the CPU
> setup is on "normal"

From the very start. I don't get any screens from the game at all. But
with VDMSound it works - except that I can't distribute my bonus points,
and therefore can't proceed into the game itself.

For the char generating questions I can at least randomly type a, b or
c...

ah heck, said Pooh...

--

> Going into Google Groups found the following reply to one of my
> messages on fixing the mouse in Windows XP:
....(snip)..

Thank you very much! Got to try this out! I'll be back with comments!

--

Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> skrev i meddelelsen news:4151c478$0
$149$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk:

> Thank you very much! Got to try this out! I'll be back with comments!

We're getting closer! This time I got through the char creation, mouse
worked fine (I still can't scroll through the char-generating questions,
thoug, so I had to guess...), and I got to see the nice background-story
animation with the fairy-lady before the program froze. ;-)))

--

Arcana Dragon wrote:
> Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> skrev i meddelelsen news:4151c478$0
> $149$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk:
>

>>Thank you very much! Got to try this out! I'll be back with comments!
>

> We're getting closer! This time I got through the char creation, mouse
> worked fine (I still can't scroll through the char-generating questions,
> thoug, so I had to guess...), and I got to see the nice background-story
> animation with the fairy-lady before the program froze. ;-)))

I think that there are some "hidden" scroll bars on the questions where
you have to use the mouse to pull them down or you click on the bottom
of the window, don't remember which. As far as the freeze, I think that
was as far as I got before giving up on getting it to run under XP. I
tried a couple of the DOS emulators with no luck, but by then was fed up
with the experiment that I didn't actively pursue it.

> think that was as far as I got before giving up on getting it to run
> under XP. I tried a couple of the DOS emulators with no luck, but by
> then was fed up with the experiment that I didn't actively pursue it.

Ah. I don't use XP, but Win2000Pro.