I need some feedback from the community

Tyler91

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Dear Tom's Hardware Community,

I have a website that I am working on. In the beginning I imagined developing a gaming community just for fun, it doesn't cost much to host a website and I said why not, I made the website and what not but, it never really took off. So, I tried to think of some way to do something for people, to provide a service, but one where everyone would benefit, me, and anyone that used it.

So, I thought about starting a tourney community for gaming clans. No strings attached. The process would be simple. You would register your clan for some sort of tourney and get with me or post in the forums (On my website) to organize a match up with another clan, or it could be a ladder match with multiple clans, like a bracketed match up. Each clan, would either raise money for the match, or each individual player, would pitch in anywhere from $1-$100 into a pot. At the end of the tourney, there would be a sizable amount of money donated. The winning clan would win the pot, I would take a small cut ( I haven't really determined that yet but something that would make it worth my time to continue putting time and energy into the project).

I would also accept donations that would go strictly to the upkeep of the website and servers etc. I also thought about offering Mumble services free of charge for the clans that wanted it and other options. If I gathered enough profit from it, I would also have prize giveaways for clan winners or just in general sort of like a raffle of some sort, to keep people interested. Maybe a game or two or something of that nature.

I'm just looking for feedback, I'm not trying to create the next awesome website but just something for the average joe that isn't extremely serious but wouldn't mind to compete for a money prize of some sort. Like I said, it's just an idea and I haven't even got the capital to get everything going in the right direction, I'm a money strapped college student who works part time but, I know how to save money. I've already considered getting a dedicated server, which would probably be about $150 a month. I think I could do it if I got things rolling in the right direction and got people signed up and interested.

I didn't want to advertise my website here because even though it's finished in the sense of a gaming community. It's not really that great as I'm lacking in the design department, I used Wordpress and SMF for forums. But it's pretty basic at the moment. I'd appreciate if anyone wanted to volunteer a hand at helping just send me a private message. Any and all feed back is appreciated, even constructive criticism.

the big flaw is that your expecting people to donate. i have seen sites with 500,000 members ask for donations and didnt get enough for 1 months running cost.
also your saying prizes. if you have a slow take up at first your prizes wont be that great unless you shell out yourself. the small the initial prizes the less word of mouth there will be...
so no unless your willing to put your own capital behind it , i cant see it being the winner you hope for.

Tyler91

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011

What you say is true. But, you still have to factor in the amount that would be profited from any money taken from a tournament that people participated in. And, I'm not going to have members because my website will only be used as a basis for sign-up/registration and to arrange tournaments etc.

The donations are voluntary but, my thinking was, if everyone only chipped in a small amount say $5 bucks for a tournament with several clans it could turn into a sizable amount of winnings for whoever wins the tournament. That's what's supposed to draw people in, in my thinking. Addressing your slow take up concern: My plan isn't to start things until I have amassed enough interest in the site to know it will be worth while.

But, you make all valid points, I know that getting good natured people to donate for something is difficult on the internet because of trust issues and just for the fact that most things like this don't go to a good cause but, I just had an idea that I could donate some of the proceeds to non-profit organization(s) every time a tournament was run.

+1 - expect to take it on the chin for a while until you can get enough ad spots for monetary support