Sound Error Codes

G

Help! I have a used ALR Server with Phoenix Bios, four 200Mhz CPUs and five Scsi hard drives. I just received it and received no paperwork. I receive audible code, continuous beep during memory count up. Where do I start? Any thoughts?

extremity

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2001
I don`t know much about your M/B, however beep codes are a good sign.
It means your BIOS is able to detect a problem, although I rarely experiance a continious one.
Check that the RAM is seated correctly, then all your hardware, cards, drives etc, make sure you earth yourself (keep a hand on the case or power supply) and SWITCH OFF THE POWER.

On the Edge of Extremity
Microsoft Registered OEM,DSP,MCP
Custom Building of PC`s.

Raskall

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
Most likely something isn't seated properly. Try taking everything off the motherboard except the proc and memory. Then make sure both components are seated properly. If you still get the same continuous beep code, one of the following components is bad. 1. mobo 2. memory 3. processor. If you get a different beep code, or none at all, after striping the system. Add things back, one at a time, and cycle power after each new addition. If the continuous beep comes back, there's your problem. If it never comes back, something wasn't seated properly. Make sure you're really carefull when putting it together, to avoid further confusion. Good luck.

Jason