For those who doubt the nForce

mpjesse

Splendid
For those of you who doubt the ability of nVidia to make a good motherboard chipset, check out this: <A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/19772.html" target="_new">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/19772.html</A>

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Seems pretty promising. But, like any test, we'll have to wait until it is out on the market and people throw the usual assortment of hardware at it before we can really make a judgement on it's compatibility and stability.

But, between the SIS 735 and the Nforce, I think we're finally on a path to get a compatible and stable chipset for AMD (knock on wood - don't want to jinx things).

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I personally am excited to see what the nforce can do. However I wish they would make a version that had no audio and no video, for I will use my own of both. I know there is a no audio one but they both have video.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

mpjesse

Splendid
I would imagine that it would be cheaper for nVidia to manufacture and fab one northbridge. Making two different chips costs a lot of money. As for the southbridge (audio processor) you can't buy chipsets that only sell northbridges. Now, some companies take short-cuts (like ALi) and sell their own northbridge and connect it to a VIA southbridge. But most companies like VIA and SiS sell their chips in sets. So, it's not totally surprising that nVidia won't just sell the northbridge.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I want to make sure I understand you correctly. You say tht the Video is in the North bridge and that is why they both have video? I don't know where the integrated Video is so im not saying your wrong I just want to clarify. And if thats the case, is it really that much more expensive to Fab a new North bridge without the video? I just want a good performing chipset with no integrations of video and sound. Is that something I may in time get from nvidia? I just look at how many wafers get scrapped at my site due to stupid people and think, are they really worth that much money. Ive seen boats of 24 go down because of a double etch and the person doesn't get fired. Oh Well lets wait and see, for im here waiting for the same thing everyone else is, a good chipset for my T-Bird.

mpjesse

Splendid
Yes, the GPU is integrated into the northbridge. Seperating the two would require 2 whole seperate fab processes, lithography ething, etc. It's very expensive. Not only that, nVidia wants to push it's graphics chips. While, it does seem a waste of transistors (especially if your not going to even use the frigin GeForce 2 MX), it's cheaper for nVidia at this stage. Remember, nVidia does not fab their own chipsets- ST Micro does. Asking ST Micro two make 2 different chips costs booko $.

As for the end user it won't matter. The chipset isn't that much, between $50-$55. That'll put the boards at $125-which is competitively priced. You can always disable the on board sound and video in the BIOS- nVidia has promised that ability.

I know i'll disable the on board video- but the sound is supposed to be state of the art. I think I'll keep that. =)

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
LoL I guess I need to read more about the chip. Notice I was saying "chipset" I thought it already had 2 chips, DOH. Well I guess as long as it can be disabled and doesn't impact performance I will like it. And ofcourse if its cheap.